Thirst Mechanics

So I read the code nice nice, hunger rework okay make it more important sure sure.

But why thirst?

Because you forgot a major concern, sinks.

Sinks are effectively everywhere, they provide water in unlimited amounts with the only disadvantage being you need a drink container. Something easily bought from a vendor.

So what does it do really?

At most, as I mentioned in my previous question, it'll make everyone bring a glass of water with them in the pocket for CQH (Close Quarters Hydratation).

I mean aurora isn't really a survival horror game so resource management won't add anything to it. There is no resources to fight for if they're infinite. Sure you could make sinks finite but the amount of water present in a water dispenser would honestly most likely last the entire crew for the entire 2 hours. If anything there'll be an annoying 3 minute break in the middle of RP for me to run to a sink, get a sip of water and run back to sit down.

Immersion could be made the case, yes, but so could adding a blink or breathe command.

This seems to only affect IPC's really, with the fact there is only one lube dispenser?

Addendum: Oh and miners, while I'm happy mining stopped being "smack rocks until you get enough points for the AoE upgrade and job finished", making them take a break every 10-20 minutes to go on station, drink something and go back out into space.

Well that just seems fist-clenching annoying.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While adding water sources for outside antags, I realised that ninjas don't exactly have any storage options for water, so I added a new chemical that hydrates people when injected into the bloodstream. If you hydrate yourself too much with this chemical, you start to vomit. Exceptions apply to vaurca since it's made with phoron.

Also Coalf, read the thread again, ffs. I've stated that thirst mechanics have the exact same gains as hunger mechanics and chances are that when you eat, you'll be drinking as well.

Why add it then.

Whoops pushed button too soon.

I meant with that statement you kinda confirmed it's not actually doing anything? I mean if it debiliated faster it would make some difference? But this just means I'll buy a snack from the vendor and get a glass of water aswell. Which makes making food vendor snacks saltier no-debuff at all.

So really I mean why? Just add the hunger mechanics that seems fine enough.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Why add it then.

To add more depth to gameplay, immersion, and roleplay potential. It also doesn't make sense that we have hunger mechanics but not thirst mechanics.

The argument you want to have isnt whats being asked. You want to add another hunger mechanic on top of what we have. Double needs. Justify survival mechanics instead of saying "we already have it" please.

It would also help your look if you didnt include sprites for sex toy companies in your project.

Okay.

To add more depth to gameplay, immersion, and roleplay potential, as well as to balance how physical activity affects hunger. Basically your hunger meter won't be affected by running, while your thirst meter will. This means that security won't have to visit the chef more often and won't be affected by junkfood penalties as much if they decide to use the vendor.

IPCs don't actually drink lube. They apply it. They can apply lube to themselves by spraying themselves with it or using the lubing machine near robotics. There is no public access lube unless the roboticist decides to bring out his lube tank.

Alright. So, what is an IPC supposed to do if there is no roboticist or anyone capable of making lube? Is there no alternative?

IPCs don't actually drink lube. They apply it. They can apply lube to themselves by spraying themselves with it or using the lubing machine near robotics. There is no public access lube unless the roboticist decides to bring out his lube tank.

Alright. So, what is an IPC supposed to do if there is no roboticist or anyone capable of making lube? Is there no alternative?

The lube chamber is public access. Any IPC can access it. What I meant by "no public access lube" is that the lube tank is not public access aka there is no way for people to steal lube.

The argument you want to have isnt whats being asked. You want to add another hunger mechanic on top of what we have. Double needs. Justify survival mechanics instead of saying "we already have it" please.

I'll put my two cents in here and say that this doesn't seem redundant or like a double need.

Both hunger and thirst fall under an existing need of nutrition. Adding thirst mechanics diversifies nutrition and gives it more complexity, adding to immersion.

Aside from a few exceptions, infrastructure already exists to serve the new options and because people already make regular use of the vending machines, bar, and kitchen, the added complexity would not infringe on fluid gameplay.

Edited by Guest

The lube chamber is public access. Any IPC can access it. What I meant by "no public access lube" is that the lube tank is not public access aka there is no way for people to steal lube.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I don't really get it. Do you have a picture? Because it sounds like it's not public access but it is and IPCs are going to have to drop whatever they're doing to lube up over in robotics.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I don't really get it. Do you have a picture? Because it sounds like it's not public access but it is and IPCs are going to have to drop whatever they're doing to lube up over in robotics.

NCiM3gy.png

Are salty foods and salt in general going to make characters more dehydrated?

Yes. I'm adding salt to junkfood as we speak.

Are you doing that to indirectly implement your Denied Chef Suggestions from like a week ago?

The suggestions weren't denied. Some of them were, not that one. I don't see anything wrong and I don't think anyone else sees anything wrong with adding salt to junkfood.

Beyond the fact you're asking for another reason to give heart-attacks to the crew when there's no chef on-station during low-pop, dead-pop, or just when noone wants to play Chef.

It's clear that you didn't read the thread and have no interest on reading the thread, let alone contributing. For those who may be thrown off by this message, you do not need the chef in order to quench your thirst. The hunger penalties only kicks in when you absolutely refuse to eat and they will not kill you or damage you. Salt just makes you slightly thirsty, for reference, the saltiest junkfood item contains 6 units of salt, and in order to counter the effects of thirst from that salt, you will need to drink 10u of water.

Please change it from lube to coolant.

See, It was originally going to be coolant before but that meant having to explain the interaction between IPCs and EVA and having to rewrite lore on how IPCs are cooled. It also means that if IPCs don't have enough coolant, then they'll take burn damage. Lube is much better because it just means they move slower.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

You don't need to re-write anything. The coolant keeps them operating under normal temperatures during standard operation. The use of coolants now like the suit cooler are when they need extra cooling.

Say the reason IPC's slow down is because of automatic safety systems to prevent them from overheating.

Lore justifies mechanics.

IPCs have to seek suit cooler units in vacuum-like environments because their internal heat sink functions only work in a pressurized environment. Thus, in a vacuum, IPCs effectively catch a fever and their entire chassis melts down as a result.

Lubricant is only useful for machines that commonly use friction to generate power. IPCs don't use friction to power themselves, they have internal capacitors to deal with. They hook up to an APC and recharge their batteries. They would have no use for lubricant, as they do not generate friction to power themselves.

Changing it to 'coolant' would be the better, more appropriate option. You can use the same chemical that's used down in xenoarch to cool down the machines used to analyze artifacts. There's also less concern regarding virtually anyone having a convenient tank of space lubricant around that would inevitably be abused and weaponized without substantial effort.

The rest of this feature is okay. I don't think giving space lubricant out to the public is going to end well.

As a note before I start: I use lubricant and grease interchangeably for this post.

Regarding Lubrication/Greasing:

Lubrication is not only needed "where friction is used to generate power"

(And friction is never used to generate power. Friction is a byproduct of two moving parts being in contact. Which generates heat, which needs lubrication to reduce the friction to avoid issues caused by the friction. You generally try to avoid friction as its a unwanted by product that reduces the efficiency of the overall machinery. Tires are a notable exception.)

Most machines nowadays are lubricated in one way or another.

Examples where lubrication is needed includes everything from: (Water)-Turbines to Engines, hydrodynamic fluid bearing, industrial robots, milling machines and even doors.

All those things have huge differences in their requirements for lubrication/greasing.

Some of those things require a complicated system that ensure a continuous flow of lubricant others just need to be lubricated once in a while (or when they start to squeek, like doors).

I see a few issues with both suggestions (making IPCs require coolant/lubrication)

Let´s start with the coolant:

The issue with the coolant is, that you do not need to replace it regularly.

Most of the time, you just need to top it off every few months.

Someone mentioned the idea of the coolant being a chemical compound, that reacts with heat and then needs to be replaced after it has reacted.

That has a few issues aswell:

* There is no reason to use a special compound, if these tricks arnt needed for welding machines and combustion engines.

* It wouldnt make sense to have a special chemical compound that expires with heat and needs to be replaced regularly as that would incur a cost that can be easily avoided.

Onto the lubricant:

While the lubricant needs to be replaced / topped off from time to time it is still not a very regular thing.

The lubricant doesnt loose its lubrication ability in a matter of hours or days, but a matter of weeks and months.

Personally I would do the following:

• Add a combined form of lubrication and coolant to IPCs. Lets just call it "space-lube" for the rest of the suggestion (The name can be changed easily enough)
  • Each Robot (IPC/Borg) has a internal space-lube level (and temperature for IPCs)
  • -> The higher the current space-lube amount, the higher the heat capacity.
  • The space-lube level degrades /very slowly/ during normal operation down to a minimal level (In fact so slow that they might even last a shift without replacement if they dont go run around)
  • If the robot is at or below the minimal level, they movement speed is slowed down as a safety precaution (and IPCs are unable to sprint)
  • The space-lube level can be replenished at the standard recharges up to a "normal" level.
  • The roboticist can top up the space-lube level up to a "maximum" level
  • If a IPC operates in a environment without air, the temperature of the space-lube increases
  • If a IPC operates in a environment with air, the temperature of the space-lube decreases
  • The amount of coolant and the cooling rate (as long as the powercell lasts) can be increased by hooking up a external coolant tank / cooling unit (the temperature of the IPC and the external coolant equalize over time and not instantly to avoid powergaming)
  • (And its probaply a good idea to pick a name that does not include lubricant or lubrication.)

I believe the idea outlined above adds a interesting mechanics to robots IPCs and borgs and can contribute to some player initiated RP as it is out of sight during the normal operation and does not impede the flow of the round too much. (for both IPCs and borgs).

Ofc it goes without saying that the thirst mechanic needs to be adapted to the species.

(For example Unathi would have a much lower need for hydration than Humans or Skrell. Who will need to regularly moisturise themselfs with a special hand-moisturiser to avoid drying up and getting organ damage)

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Rapidly degrading coolant that IPC's need to replenish on a regular basis (mimicing human thirst) serves some IC purposes. As with everything, the lore for something is created to explain the mechanics.

In this case I recommended coolant. As the intro says, making IPC's rely on coolant could be another method of control exerted over them within our universe. If the robots rebel we can still hit their supply lines, as the thought could go.

Grease is fine. Just please do not call it lubricant. The OP for this idea isn't even taking it seriously since he sprited a lube container referencing a sex toy company.