Conspiir

[OOC] Clearer Rules on Mute Characters

Alright. So uh. Back in the day, there was a rule put in place where mute characters could not be in fields other than service or civ. It shuffled some characters out of their job, and it has since also forced some characters to not be mute anymore. The Rule was put... somewhere (?) and seems to be forgotten, wherever it is. It was an understanding of people around at the time.

We've gotten new players since then.

There was an argument on the shuttle today in looc about mute miners, of which there are now two, without admin interjection on the topic. Which seems to imply that the Rule, mentioned above, is not so much in effect anymore, because mute miners were among those not allowed (you could be a cargo tech, but not a miner in civ. It was deemed too dangerous).

Basically, is the Rule still in effect, and in what capacity? If it is not, I'd like to know. If it is, can it be put down somewhere for people, new and old, to view? Maybe when you select the Mute disability (though I know it's often better to NOT select the mute disability so you can still do headset emotes), or in the rules proper under Creating Characters? I'd just like some clarity, something to give some kind of confirmed yes or no.

@Conspiir

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1uMsY_loNKF1tAoIzWS5Y0xcKpBb5c2x7SeYdvvoJIYA/edit#slide=id.p

I've found it for you. This was announced a long time ago as a solution to a major crisis and the whoever decided this solution are ableism. As you can see, I've hated this solution very much. Why include deaf/mute/blind functionality to a game if you're just going to place a heavy limit on it. But yeah, I suppose you can argue that if there's nothing relating to disabilities on Aurora Station rules, it's not an actual rule but again we have unwritten rules that are not in Aurora Station rules. It's a lousy argument but disabilities just happens to be one of these unwritten rules and you have to go searching around it to find a precedent ruling.

Posted (edited)

Oh god the notorious power point. It was enough that Abo enjoyed using Excel documents. Joking aside, I recall this was never released to the common public though and the standards specified in that power point were never applied as actual policy.

Head of Security

Communication - Minor speech impediments are permitted. No deafness, of good hearing.

oh god i would've hated this too. H-h-heww-w-w-wo. t-t-t-t-this i-i-i-is t-t-t-the h-h-head of s-s-s-security.

Edited by Scheveningen

I agree with limitations, there are some jobs that straight up need communication (A mute Captain or FT would be extremely annoying). Honestly I must admit I am biased however, as I dislike any interaction with mute characters as it is annoying to get anything done with them, but thats just me. 

TLDR: Some jobs should have disability restrictions, namely those where communication or other functions impacted by a disability is paramount. 

At this point, I think it is better to just limited mute and deaf people to service positions, what do you all think?

Posted (edited)

I'd be fine with mute Cargo people, it's a similarly low requirement job and I've seen mute miners do fine - the better ones often establish a signal for "help needed" like blowing into the mic loudly and stuff like that. Many Science roles + Biochemist also aren't really impacted too badly by muteness, though I'd hesitate to say anything outside of those roles would be viable for mute people. Certainly Engineering, Security and actively healing Medical roles all require speech.

Edited by stev

53 minutes ago, Alberyk said:

limited mute and deaf people to service positions

to me these seem like the positions least suited for deaf or mute people.

do you mean supply?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stev said:

I'd be fine with mute Cargo people, it's a similarly low requirement job and I've seen mute miners do fine - the better ones often establish a signal for "help needed" like blowing into the mic loudly and stuff like that. Many Science roles + Biochemist also aren't really impacted too badly by muteness, though I'd hesitate to say anything outside of those roles would be viable for mute people. Certainly Engineering, Security and actively healing Medical roles all require speech.

Technically, any job can do fine as a mute person if you make signals and use a PDA. But there's a difference between "Urist blows into the mic." and "Urist says, 'Hey, there's a nest of carp DIRECTLY above the mining airlock, so, uh. Watch out, and also come help me.'" It should not be a requirement to know sign language to be able to talk to your coworker safely while EVA (much like checking your phone while walking, it isn't exactly safe to check your PDA while EVA. Funny thing, a miner has actually fallen and died while doing so in the past and it was pretty hilarious, especially since the trauma he got was muteness.) which is why I think EVA jobs should not be mute.

I also believe that mute scientists/roboticists (not xenobios or xenoarchs or plasma researcherbombpeople) could also work, but the more exceptions made, the more difficult the rule becomes to wrangle and remember.

1 hour ago, Ornias said:

do you mean supply?

They're safe in the station and, when they need to talk to people, can PDA without putting themselves or others at risk, because the only people they are communicating with are right in front of them. And that, really, is where the bar is in my mind. You have to be able to do your job to a satisfactory standard AND not put yourself or others in danger. Service covers that, and so does cargo tech so long as they aren't PDAing their miners to distract them.

Edited by Conspiir

2 hours ago, Ornias said:

do you mean supply?

I agree with the above, as otherwise it's being said that the jobs mutes are most qualified for say 'What'll it be?', 'Can I take your order?', and 'Would you like fries with that?' which seems to be quite the opposite of a qualification.

I think everyone agrees that botanists, janitors, cargo techs, and that ilk would be fine, and that heads, security, and medical personnel wouldn't. The thing that may be overlooked are those that fall in-between. Engineering primarily responds to calls (which mute people can do), rarely has need to broadly communicate to more than one person (which PDAs do) and are qualified to communicate in space without radio by any type of sign language. Research personnel after much the same way. A xenobotanist doesn't need to say too much, an engineer can easily send a PDA message to their boss, another head, or even just a random crew member or two to have them announce what may be needed over radio.

So where do people think these 'middling amounts of talking' requiring jobs fall, in terms of necessary qualification?

4 hours ago, stev said:

like blowing into the mic loudly and stuff like that

As far as I am aware, the muteness disability completely prevents you from using the say verb, including audio emotes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, VTCobaltblood said:

As far as I am aware, the muteness disability completely prevents you from using the say verb, including audio emotes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Consider yourself corrected, audio emotes work fine over radio*.

EDIT: *As far as I've seen from mute characters in roleplay. Could be that they didn't take muteness mechanically and are merely roleplaying it? I couldn't say for certain.

Edited by stev

1 hour ago, stev said:

Could be that they didn't take muteness mechanically and are merely roleplaying it?

Honestly, I would advocate removing muteness mechanics and only leaving them for roleplay, but that's a topic for another thread.