[Accepted]Butter's Tree App?

BYOND Key: Butterrobber202

Character Names:

Species you are applying to play: Dionae

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: N/A

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes, It was a fun read.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: To be honest, my reasoning for this application is two-fold. The bigger of the two reasons is boredom, I’ve played all the other xeno races in the Aurora lore, and I’m seeking a fresh roleplay experience with Dionae. The second reason is a slightly goofy one, but since I have all the other whitelist a small part of me wants to get this just so I can be a completionist. 

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Dionae have the easiest time with this question than any other xeno. Starters, unlike Humans (or the other xenos) they are primarily plant-like in nature. They consume biomass and radiation to nourish themselves. Their unique biology and anatomy provokes interest and fascination, it is uncommon to see a species that is composed of multiple beings at once, that work together to act as one singular being. It’s almost like intentional split personality disorder, but the splits are actually beneficial. 

Character Name: Weeping in Shifting Sands

Please provide a short backstory for this character

Spoiler

Ssalazir Unglez was a simple Unathi. He was old, but not elderly, unmarried, lacked any offspring, and found his joy in working as his village’s doctor and herbalist. Grey scaled and curling horns protruding, he marched along the edge of the valley, heading for the old oasis. He saw some interesting plant life growing on his way back from the city yesterday.

Arriving at the oasis, a small pond ringed with green in the otherwise barren desert, Ssalazir found a fascinating discovery. A green-ish brown pod had taken root at the edge of the oasis, its roots spreading into the moist sand. Ssalazir cautiously approached it and finding no defensive measures being taken, examined the pod closely.

It was big by plant-standards, coming up to at least Ssalazir’s thighs and it had the width of a tree. Its exterior was a fleshy bark that seemed study, yet oddly flexible towards Ssalazir’s prodding touches. Ssalazir decided it might be worth uprooting the pod and transporting it to his own garden, but quickly discovered the roots would not yield their spot in the sand.

Ssalazir refilled his waterskin, and decided to return tomorrow.

---

The Sun was still in the early stages of its ascent into the sky by the time Ssalazir arrived at the oasis. The Pod had almost doubled in size, now its top coming up to Ssalazir’s torso. It’s roots now slightly protruded from the sandy wall of the pond, assumingly sucking up water. After a test or two, Ssalazir found the roots to be even less eager to move and the bark had toughened to the point prods did not affect the pod at all. Ssalazir wiped his hands on his tunic and resolved to check again tomorrow.

---

He arrived at the oasis late today, some teenagers decided it would be a brilliant idea to throw rocks at a Threshbeast, causing him to be late. The oasis was oddly unchanged from yesterday with the notable exception of the pod being open. Ssalazir marched over to the vacant pod and discovered upon examination… it was slimy. Quickly rubbing his hands over his pants leg, Ssalazir looked around to oasis to see if the pod’s occupant had gotten far. Before even getting fully turned around a sudden piercing pain raced up his leg. Kicking his leg backwards at the sudden pain, he felt a light weight leave it. Looking behind him, he saw a fleshy plant-like creature. The creature had red specks of liquid over its face, the same red liquid was dripping down his leg- “Damn, it bit me!”

---

I found myself being dumped out of a woven sack onto a hard, elevated surfac- table? Table. The large grey beast was interacting with a large slab of woo- door? Door. Once the door was closed the large beas- Unathi, came over and stared at me for a long time. It eventually exhaled and moved on to a different room. Seeing no food here, I decided to follow him. The next room was filled with a variety of plant life of multiple colors and shapes. The Unathi was tending to them. I decided to eat some.

---- 

“What am I going to do with a plant that can move?” mumbled Ssalazir. A crinkling sound arose behind him, and he turned to see the Plant was eating his bamboo he’d imported! Ssalazir hurried over and tugged the Plant-Nymph thing away from his bamboo and tossed it in a hydroponics tray full of lemongrass. The Nymph, apparently not a picky eater, opted to begin eating it.

---

Two months had passed since the Nymph’s arrival. Ssalazir had to apologize to two other villagers because the thing escaped a bit them. It took a significant amount of convincing with the clan elder to allow him to keep the Nymph. Ssalazir had won the Nymph’s stay but claiming it “produced a new form of labor that makes the cultivation of life saving medicine quicker.” Which wasn’t untrue, the Nymph ate many pesky parasites on his plants almost daily. Most of the villagers showed some curiosity towards the Nymph, but Ssalazir counted himself lucky they weren’t openly hostile towards it.

He had discovered a pattern with the Nymph, it never bit someone twice if it didn’t have too, it hadn’t even tried Ssalazir again. On the contrary, after its first week with him it had become affectionate. He discovered it understood basic commands in Sinta’Unathi, which thankfully meant it was now feeding itself on the weeds in his hydroponics garden rather than his valuable medicinal herbs. The Nymph didn’t seem to mind weather conditions at all, in fact, during sandstorms the Nymph liked to sit outside and, as far as Ssalazir could tell, watch the sand fly by. After a particularly rough storm the Unathi had to pull the Nymph free of a pile of accumulated sand. It had also developed a habit of sun-bathing on his home’s roof directly before nightfall, during the night itself the Nymph only displayed light activity, such as eating and moving towards light sources. Ssalazir assumed since it was a plant, it required light, thus its odd behavior. So, he left one of his sun lamps out at night for the nymph to sit under. 

---

Four months had passed since the Nymph’s arrival. The Nymph had had a few positive encounters with the villagers. In a particularly happy case it entertained several children until nightfall, where it made its habitual retreat towards the sun lamp. Halfway through Versakh the Nymph did something interesting and extremely frustrating. It was a typical day, Ssalazir was tending to his plants and the Nymph was nearby mowing through some weeds. During its feeding, the Nymph suddenly stopped and tensed up. Frowning, Ssalazir went over to investigate what the issue was. The Nymph remained stock-still for a few minutes, right when Ssalazir was deciding to get back to work an explosion of green-orange spores burst out of the Nymph’s back, coating everything nearby, including Ssalazar. Coughing and swatting the area around him, Ssalazir retreated to the other room.

The next day, once Ssalazir had stopped coughing up his lungs, he entered the Hydroponics room to find two identical pods sprouting from his lemongrass tray. 

Over the course of the next day, the pods doubled in size, similarly to the Nymph’s original pod just at a quicker pace. Ssalazir was wondering how he was going to feed three of these things on his weeds alone before the pods opened simultaneously. The Original Nymph was waiting nearby, and upon the pods opening, quickly ran over. The Original chirped something at the two and suddenly the trio of nymphs proceeded to gorge themselves on all of Ssalazir’s lemongrass and the nearby weeds. After awhile, the Nymphs grouped together and sat. After twenty minutes of watching, Ssalazir went about his business.

---

“I is now We. We are coming together?” “Yes.” “Yes.”

“Ssalazir has been kind. He provided us with food and shelter.  We will assist him once we are formed.”

---

It had been around five years since the original Nymph’s arrival. 

The Gestalt that was born from the Nymph’s merging rarely spoke, but had declared itself, “Shifting Sands” to Ssalazir directly after its formation. During the years, Ssalazir had started to develop the signs of old age. His scale’s usually hard grey color had faded to a dusty requiem of their original color, his back was slightly hunched and he walked with a cane fashioned from Shifting Sands’s body. (Which was quickly regrown) 

Shifting Sands had long ago adopted the majority of Ssalazhir’s personality traits and the animal like affection it’s nymph held had evolved into parental trust and love for the Unathi. With the intelligence boost of the merge, Shifting Sands slowly discovered the emotions the Unathi around him experienced and empathy. It had observed how Ssalazir handled hurting and wounded Unathi with kindness and words designed to reduce their stress.

The Village had slowly started calling on Shifting Sands to treat their ill and wounded as Ssalazir’s ability to commute lowered. The old Unathi went out of his way to teach Shifting Sands what he knew in the years before he started to suffer his current afflictions. The art of doctoring came easily to the Diona, the information feeling familiar to it. The children the Original had once played with were now grown and constantly getting into scraps, and the village elderly, who at first were unsure about the idea of being treated by the Diona, suffered aching pains and the unavoidable symptoms of radiation poisoning the Wasteland brought on its inhabitants. The Garden was still a refugee of Ssalazir’s old self, to Shifting Sands pleasure, the old Unathi still cultivated his herbs and grinded them into useful medicine. Life continued in this pleasant fashion for some time…

---

It had been around seven years since the original Nymph’s arrival.

Ssalazhir no longer recognized Shifting Sands. 

The ugly surprise of dementia had soured Shifting Sands demeanor greatly. It was with bittersweetness that Shifting Sands recalled Ssalazhir educating it on how to treat dementia, but it had never assumed it would have to practice on Ssalazhir himself. After tending to the rest of the village, Shifting Sands would sit with the old Unathi and spoke in slow Sinta’Unathi. They would talk about anything from herbs, the villiage, the Izeweski, anything to keep him engaged. In one of the occasional flashes of sanity Ssalazhir was gifted with, he fondly told Shifting Sands of it’s discovery. “I am truly grateful to the spirits that it was I that found your pod in that old oasis. You have eased the burden of my life greatly and I fear I would have been lost to loneliness long ago without your company.” Shifting Sands sat with the Unathi for a long time that night, listening quietly as Ssalazhir recounted the Diona’s first months in the village. 

---

Eight Years.

Shifting Sands silently and slowly moved across the sands, the early morning sun just barely cresting the horizon. Ssalazhir was in its arms, no longer of this world. In his last moments of clarity, he asked Shifting Sands to bury him in the Oasis when he died. Shifting Sands’s gait was slow and the added weight of the old Unathi slowed him even more, but it eventually arrived at the Oasis and slowly sat his mentor on the ground.

It was there Shifting Sands was introduced to the deep emotional vortex of loss. Each little nymph held inside him was greatly upset and disturbed. But, they all agreed with their current course of action.

Shifting Sands slowly and methodically dug a hole in the Oasis just big enough for the Unathi to fit into, and set him inside. The Diona remained still for a long while, the sun now high in the sky.

It’s collective consciousness agreed it needed to be finished but the Nymphs could not bring themselves to move for a great period. 

A large sandstorm was approaching in the distance. The large yellow-brown cloud starting to block out the light of the sun. The Geselt’s resolve hardened and found itself determined to finish before the light faded.

---

Weeping in Shifting Sands found it could no longer stay in the Village, for its great memory recalled Ssalazhir every moment it remained in his home. 

It left and headed for Skalamar and remained there for a time. Eventually the sand itself was a bleak reminder of its loss, and it left the planet for Tau Ceti.

What do you like about this character?

Weeping in Shifting Sands is a character with a backstory that makes me feel, “Yes. This is a character that has a foundation.” I enjoy the backstory I’ve created for them and I feel I will enjoy playing them on the station. I also think that I will be able to produce some decent RP based off of the Diona’s backstory.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? 8/10, I’ve improved but I’m not the undisputed master of the roleplaying arts.

Notes: unga bunga tree

Edited by Butterrobber202
Formatting grammer that stuff

AWWWWWWWW. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I LITERALLY GOT TEARS IN M EYES

kdkjgdskglsd

i love this a lot, you've done a great job. currently, Sinta'unathi is not available to diona but this will be a great example of why it should be, i'm totally using your app to persuade the others. it should be available soon-ish if this does the job. you have it down. your tree feels love,,,,,

a few questions though: are they pacifist, are they religious (Th'akh, Sk'akh or other?), do they follow all unathi codes of honour and culture and all that? i'm sure you have an answer for all this but just want to make sure

25 minutes ago, SleepyWolf said:

AWWWWWWWW. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I LITERALLY GOT TEARS IN M EYES

kdkjgdskglsd

i love this a lot, you've done a great job. currently, Sinta'unathi is not available to diona but this will be a great example of why it should be, i'm totally using your app to persuade the others. it should be available soon-ish if this does the job. you have it down. your tree feels love,,,,,

a few questions though: are they pacifist, are they religious (Th'akh, Sk'akh or other?), do they follow all unathi codes of honour and culture and all that? i'm sure you have an answer for all this but just want to make sure

1. WiSS developed an understanding of martial conflict from consuming Unathi Blood and being Immersed in their culture. WiSS holds the belief that while martial conflict is necessary for some situations and people, it personally would rather avoid harming others if that doesn't conflict with it protecting itself.

2. It follows a philosophical form of Th'akh, mainly that the combined consciousness of its nymphs creates WiSS's soul, and thus creates WiSS's individuality.

3. WiSS believes in being honorable in your dealings with others, but as said above, it follows a "self-defense" policy when it comes to fighting.

Edited by Butterrobber202
  • Yonnimer changed the title to [Accepted]Butter's Tree App?
  • Yonnimer locked this topic