DanseMacabre

Remove wizard from the secret rotation

On 19/03/2020 at 04:56, Shadow7889 said:

I believe the issue isnt the game mode but a lack of creativity in said play style. Improving on the wizard role would be better. Editing spells and even adding new ones that can help drive rounds better might be a good idea. It's hard to keep coming up with new ideas when you play the same thing over and over.  That's why I barely do merc/wiz/weeaboswordmaster anymore. 

I recently came up with, what I believe to be, a very interesting wizard gimmick. One that doesn't even use the dreaded fire ball.

Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I despise wizard as a gamemode. It doesn't even have anything to do with the mechanics of them. I simply hate them thematically in a science fiction roleplay setting. It shatters my immersion and I generally end up ghosting and observing if they are overly ridiculous. That doesn't mean that every single wizard sucks and can't have a fun gimmick or engaging roleplay experience, but the majority I've played with were not that.

That said, I don't support their removal from the secret rotation, or as a gamemode. As Alberyk and Garnascus have mentioned earlier in this thread, removing things continuously will simply distill our roleplay into fewer and fewer modes that people will grow sick of. I support the rebranding of the wizard to a more period appropriate flavor, such as Technomancer or some other "futuristic magic man" equivalent. Many of the spells that the wizard possesses now would work just fine in a rebranded wizard, and could mechanically be the same with only minor alterations to their names or casting styles.

I am not sure how a rebranded wizard would look exactly, but I am confident that the community can crowd-source a sufficient naming scheme and flavor for them to be better than the current iteration. As a side note, I'd 100% support the porting of Technomancer in order to replace the wizard, but I do not have the technical skills and knowledge to do it myself, and I can't justifiably put all of that work on some poor developer to do at the whim of the community. Our best bet is to pay geeves hope that one of them feels strongly enough about it to take it upon themselves.