[Accepted]Caelphon's Diona Lore Deputy Application

Ckey/BYOND Username:

Caelphon

Position Being Applied For:

Deputy Lore developer

Past Experiences/Knowledge:

I am a member of my school's journalism club, so I guess that goes for past experiences? I typically get an 'A' for my creative writing essays, and roughly either an 'A' or 'B' for my history essays. 

Examples of Past Work:

My only 'lore' examples of past work is my Whitelist Applications. If needed, I do not mind writing an essay in regards to Diona. 

Additional Comments:

To answer Yonnimer's question; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cI-39Gyk84W5OhPROm83rD4h830oWOredqLpnsKUrkg/edit?usp=sharing a neat document, instead of scrolling through everything.

Currently, I feel as though the lore for Diona is lacklustre at some points. For a cryptic species, they seem to be quite well understood - which slightly rubs me in the wrong way (to no offense to you!). I do believe that for a species that is older than Skrell their history is quite brief, and there isn't really any additional information regarding their relationships with other species (besides Skrell and Unathi). I did, however, thoroughly enjoy reading about the 'Ophion Incident' - it made Diona terrifying, and frankly thats how I've always thought of them, Knowledge Seeking Devourers. The Diona can devastate ships, as they move through space with ease and can be described as a fish? If I was in a ship and I saw this, I'd turn my bluespace engines to the max and gtfo. 

Titan: A theoretical form of the Diona - a planet, or even star-sized diona form consisting of maybe more nymphs than is currently known to exist, may be the pinnacle of organic processing and thought. Uncharted intelligence. The Skrell has an order to destroy any Diona structure that could reach, or has reached, this size due to the inherent risk of intelligence singularity and other classified risks.

In the Diona Information Uplink, it mentions how Skrell have given 'undiscriminate' orders to destroy structures like these. I dont think this is expressed well enough in the current lore, and this is one of the things I'd like to change. I believe Diona should be feared, or atleast discriminated a hell of a lot more than IPC. 

Culture: Jokingly given the nickname "Dionae Space Station Ophion, Keeper of Life", the Ophion Cyclopes are regularly hauled between Ophion and Tau Ceti - as while they are seen as methodical and even cold, there is no denying their scientific methodology. However - all stations whom host one are instructed to keep an eye on them, should they become hostile for whichever reason.

Another thing that I think is valuable to my paragraph - Stations are instructed to keep an eye on them, should they become hostile for whichever reason - Diona can *snap* to my understanding, and simply choose to be hostile. This freaks me out even more if I was in the vicinity of a typically 8ft tall creature that at any moment can turn hostile and devour me. Yes, I know that they are highly curious creatures, but last time I checked - when a creature is curious they arn't exactly going to be friendly upon first approach, for example a venus flytrap. They sit there with their mouths open, waiting, lying in curiousity to see whether any insects would fly into its maw - SNAP. 

Culture: The largest Dionae to have communicated with other sapients, Dionae from EUM have become highly focused on being efficient, having learned and adapted to Skrell culture. Most notably - the system has become notorious for being a checkpoint shipyard as the Dionae there within orbit most often specialize in engineering tasks while those planetside excel in the natural sciences. Of course - the exposition to the Skrell has made them wary of synthetic intelligence. Furthermore, they are the only known group with an unified creation theory - according to them, Dionae have been at home in "the Great Void" - as paraphrased - since the beginning of their existence, and their creation should have been nothing short of impossible.

The Diona were quite literally birthed through impossible means. They credit their existance to 'The Great Void' - These are ALIENS who not only do not look humanoid, nor do they move as such - but they credit their existance to some sort of miracle? Again, I'd be scared of these things. They're capable of turning themselves into beacons - evident by the static detected by Skrell explorers in 2430

If I do get elected as Lore Deputy, I wish to work in turning this species from the casual walking houseplant to a species that are meant to be feared, and discriminated against. Humans first instinct to anything that isn't like them is fear, and I don't see why a species that is completely opposite in ALL ways to them, as someone they can trust. This species is capable of learning all of the universe's combined knowledge in mere days -- The Skrell feared an Intelligence, but don't fear an organic one capable of far more damage than Glorsh? Glorsh relied on synthetics and Skrell bowing to them, Diona rely on only sunshine and radiation. One is extremely easy to get, and the other requires a lot of planning.

There is a possibility there is a planet-large form of Diona, that the Skrell have been ordered to engage and kill, and if that doesn't scream that Diona should be feared - then I don't know what else does. Imagine, something as large as Earth itself swimming through space as easily as a fish which is capable of consuming everything (besides Stars) in its path?

I would wish for the process to be slow, however. Not just *boom* deadly, but a slow and subtle changes to the Species and they'll slowly become more and more discriminated against. We're more worried about robots, and ant-looking aliens (Vaurca) than a species that does not rely on any other species? They chose to remain with Skrell, they chose to work with the other galatic entities and at a moment's notice they don't have to, because why? They need sunlight and radiation, what use does credits have? 

Oh! Also more information in relationships, so that it facilitates different approaches to the creature. Right now, everyone currently is friends with them - no matter where they come from. I'd like to work on slowly altering this so people can be given more information regarding how one *might* approach a Diona. 

The new relations page is really good, as well as the clusters page. I'd like to work on improving this and one day remove the (WIP) tag on most of the clusters. I believe that the Xrim, Royal Garden, The Blossoms of the Great and Divine Eternal and The Viscerabelt are frankly ripe with culture and lore that can expand from these. I think this would be amazing to flesh out, and give more well-known origin to the Diona species. 

Edited by Caelphon

You're a great role-player and although we haven't had too many interactions, I've never seen you behave poorly. Your application has an easy +1 from me.

edit: Since posting this comment and engaging in a few further rounds with you, I am uncertain as to whether I can offer a +1. You gave soporific to the Head Loyalist who was already bleeding to death and at your mercy, prompting him to eventually die without roleplay. You additionally treated my AI with unwarranted cruelty when I was learning the role. There are people behind the characters.

In regards to the content of your application, I have a few questions:

I believe conflicting relationships between species is great however there needs be a delicate give and take between each side so to not encourage a generic "xenoman bad" type of response in day to day play in game. This is something the team has been addressing in a few areas so far. How do you wager you will balance this in your ideas for Diona lore?

Although the Deputy has the benefit of laying low in times of conflict, there is a chance you will be present or called upon for disputes regarding the lore. I am certain you can address the issue, however, what will you do so to ensure burn out doesn't occur?

Nonetheless, good luck!

Edited by niennab

Thank you Nienna!

In regards to the 'give-and-take' approach, I certainly believe this is something achievable. I'd argue that the Diona are incredibly intelligence, and resourceful - but are something to be wary of, similar to discrimination of the IPC. Not everyone treats IPC as an equal, but a handful do. I'd like to incorporate this into my idea, and go forward with saying that most of the Diona on the NSS Aurora would have undergone rigorous testing, both intellectually and an socially, in order to best determine if they'd fit aboard the Aurora. I also believe it can be balanced by instituting that new Diona HAVE to start in introductory jobs (Medical Resident, Engineering Apprentice etc etc), and have to receive a minimum of three commendations before being increased to their desired role. If a Diona wishes for a Command position (I believe the CMO, Research Director and Liason should remain as they do) they'd require a further 3 commendations (similar to the NanoTrasen Miranda Trasen Scholarship) and a CCIA Interview (it doesnt actually have to take place, but a small note). 

I don't wish for this (if I do become deputy) to just drop this over one day. I want to institute a long-drawn out process (cause Diona be slow) and subtly introduce new themes and questions in regards to Diona, but I believe the aforementioned balance plans will help deal with the issues presented by 'xenoman bad' because these Diona arn't just HERE. They've been tested, and they've been given chances to prove their worth - but this still allows for slight racism (or stereotyped opinions) for Diona, aka "Look at that thing, a ... killer, a cold-hearted killer. Did you hear what it did to the [insert name here]?"

TL;DR

I'd put the Diona in cold water, and slowly up the temperature until it reaches boiling point. This would allow for relations between crew (akin to what I said earlier, not all Skrell hate IPC for example) but still slowly seep racism into the crew so its a pro-longed alteration to the lore. 

I actually enjoy writing, especially when I have to write persuasive essays - but I do see where you come from in regards to not burning out. I honestly can't say how I can ensure I don't burn out, but I'll try my damn hardest not to. I've gone through worse conditions (typicaly highschool and deadlines haha) so I think I'll be alright. 

A few brief, probably open-ended questions.

1) What is your opinion on the current state of Diona mechanical balance?

2) How important do you think it is for Diona to be invested in affairs regarding the other factions in our setting lorewise? Why or why not?

3) Do you think there is enough roleplay material regarding Dionae that isn't related to their physiology?

4) What are your opinions on Dionae heads of staff?

Well, considering I believe it was my sillyness that intitially caused the whole thing (my misunderstanding of the lore, but you helped clear that up). I have for it really, they're primarily based on plants, and as we all know plants arnt exactly hulk (some are, but thats the exception). If I had magic fingers that knew how to code, I'd structure them to take increased damage to laser weapons and fire, but decreased damage to ballistics considering how they're capable of plugging the holes in relatively quickly (in terms of sufficient radiation is supplied). 

Diona should be invested in affairs regarding other factions in the Aurora setting to a minor extent in some and a major extent in others. In species such as the Tajaran, I don't really believe they have a place. Tajaran have gone through countless wars, and frankly I don't think they'd accept a big plant doing anything but being put into a stew.  In other species, like Skrell, I think that Diona should be mentioned way more than they are - They're essentially the labourers that allowed Skrell to advance and not waste time mining, among other menial jobs. Diona should be deeply entrenched in Skrell lore, especially during the reconstruction period (as well as if there is a rework with Skrell First-Contact and History) and should from the get go immidiately be subjected to almost indetured work conditions by humans (what do humans typically do when they find another race/species they don't exactly look like? Enslave them). 

No. Currently most of *my* roleplay stems from their physiology, besides acting extremely freaking and terrifying thanks to their background (the short paragraph regarding the Ophion Incident). If I could, I'd like to expand on their history, especially with Unathi and Skrell (along the lines of symbiosis). 

I think there needs to be a lot more restrictions placed on them, as I mentioned above in my response to Neinna. Diona are 8ft, and look like nothing anyone has ever seen before - and its not like they're walking across Tau Ceti like the other species. They're in small clusters, and typically rate (to my understanding) outside of the workplace. I believe that additional restrictions, and commendations should be aquired before a Diona should be elevated to a Head of Staff. 

I enjoyed reading this! It makes me feel as though Diona are incorporated more in the lore - allowing more awesome concepts to make. I've already thought about three or four new concepts in regards to this new release!

Republic Of Biesel

Dionae within the Republic of Biesel are treated mostly fair, although they do suffer from light discrimination, mostly in a lower wage compared to most other species for a majority of workplaces.

Citizenship is registered in the gestalt’s name, although this can change fairly simply, so long as ½ of the nymphs registered to the gestalt agree. So long as the gestalt contains two chipped nymphs and the gestalt is considered passable on an intelligence test, they can legally apply for citizenship. Every three years a simple scan is required of the chips to ensure the dionae is the same, although workplaces can require more frequent checkups. Unreported mergings/splitting can be met with a fine, and workplaces can terminate any work contracts.

Sol Alliance

Dionae within the SOL alliance are treated mostly fair, although they do suffer from light discrimination, mostly in a lower wage compared to most other species for a majority of workplaces.

Citizenship is registered in the gestalt’s name, although this can change fairly simply, so long as ½ of the nymphs registered to the gestalt agree. So long as the gestalt contains two chipped nymphs and the gestalt is considered passable on an intelligence test, they can legally apply for citizenship. Every three years a simple scan is required of the chips to ensure the dionae is the same, although workplaces can require more frequent checkups. Unreported mergings/splitting can be met with a fine, and workplaces can terminate any work contracts.

Jargon Federation

Dionae within the Jargon Federation are generally treated well, but they can see some issues within the federation. Given their immunity to the Wake, Dionae within the federation can have difficulty with interacting with some aspects of skrell life. Dionae are capable of holding a great deal of positions inside the federation, but are barred from many upper management, governmental, and law enforcement positions. Dionae within the Federation are generally not given pay but are given any accommodations they may need, including housing, power, and a censored extranet. Dionae are able to put in a request for a moderate amount of money if the given reason is approved, and the if the dionae is considered a good worker.

While Dionae do enjoy a great deal of respect within the federation, there is still an eye kept on them to ensure they are still loyal to the federation. With their immunity to the wake, this usually has to be done through more direct means, such as increased surveillance.

Dionae are capable of holding citizenship within the federation, but the Federation limits the number of nymphs that can be apart of a gestalt and a citizen, which is twenty nymphs.

Empire Of Dominia

Dionae are generally a rare sight within the Empire Of Dominia, with a majority coming from The Royal Garden. More information can be found, here: https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Dionae_Clusters#The_Emperor.27s_Royal_Garden_-_Dominia.28WIP.29. The Emperor’s Royal Garden, or being more of a “showpiece” as part of a noble house. Some Dionae will even become employed as diplomats, as they generally have the utmost loyalty to the empire.

Citizen Dionae are not permitted to merge or split any of their nymphs with a gestalt who is not also a citizen. When a Dionae becomes a citizen they are given a necklace called a “Branched Blossom” made up of smaller interlocking necklaces called a “Branch”, each engraved with the first word in a nymph’s name. If a nymph leaves or merges with a gestalt they are expected to bring their Branch piece engraved with their name to be connected with the gestalt’s Branched Blossom. While it is not required to be worn at all times, it is required to be brought with the gestalt if they wish to get a Visa approved, or to a court hearing.

Izweski Hegemony

Dionae within the Hegemony are treated well, and with respect. The Sk’akh religion considers Dionae sacred, possessing a soul. As such a majority of Unathi are quite friendly with Unathi, treating them with respect and reverence.

The increased surveilance was the path that I wanted to take, but it seems this was already in the cogs. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this new segment of lore, and I'd love to help work on it to increase it, especially the Empire of Dominia - they seem to revere the Diona akin to nobility (or the equivalent) which I think is quite cool. 

Edited by Caelphon
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Yonnimer changed the title to [Accepted]Caelphon's Diona Lore Deputy Application
  • Yonnimer locked this topic