Chada1

Full Chem Rework Feedback Thread

As of now, the Chemistry wiki page has been updated. If you find any errors, please let me know.

One thing to note, many drugs require a certain amount metabolized AND in your bloodstream to overdose, those that need an amount metabolized isn't included in the chemistry page, so if you put too much into someone and then quickly dialysis them, most of the time, you'll avoid an overdose. Don't think this is a bug, tho, it's entirely intended.

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Guide_to_Chemistry
^ Updated chem guide there.

Edited by Chada1

Big +1 from me, love the changes to OD values as well as the additional effects of ODing and mixing chemicals. Makes people put at least a bit more thought into how they handle and use different chemicals, plus probably giving chemists more to do based on whatever doctors request. Only real concern was the wiki being fully updated, but that seems to be getting taken care of, so I can't think of anything negative about this.

On 04/09/2020 at 21:42, NG+7 Gael said:

Big +1 from me, love the changes to OD values as well as the additional effects of ODing and mixing chemicals. Makes people put at least a bit more thought into how they handle and use different chemicals, plus probably giving chemists more to do based on whatever doctors request. Only real concern was the wiki being fully updated, but that seems to be getting taken care of, so I can't think of anything negative about this.

TYVM for the feedback. 👀 I rushed the wiki page out specifically to get it all out there for people to read/etc, so I'm glad that part helped out.

For transparencies sake, RMT is being raised to 40 OD and will metabolize much slower (Thanks to Hocka), and people seem most receptive to negative effects to non-offworlders who take that drug, tho I dunno if we're gonna expand it past how it is rn.

Edited by Chada1

The recipe for Saline Plus is a bit annoying to make for something meant to replace iron pills, any chance you can adjust the recipe? Maybe just simplify things and make it 1:1:1.

Other than that I love where this PR is going.

On 09/09/2020 at 17:52, StationCrab said:

The recipe for Saline Plus is a bit annoying to make for something meant to replace iron pills, any chance you can adjust the recipe? Maybe just simplify things and make it 1:1:1.

Other than that I love where this PR is going.

Me and Kermit talked about it and the main issue rn is Saline Plus is actually Extremely strong so it can't be made less expensive without actually nerfing its power, when put into an IV, it's as good as an entire 3 O- blood bags. Now, one thing we considered is just making the other ingredients 1u/1u and leaving the Phoron cost at 5u, which makes it more convenient and simple to math together, but leaves the expense. We're planning changes soon™️ but we're not sure to what extent it'll be convenience/nerfs, if we keep it at its current strength the ingredients will be 1-1 (with 5u phoron), if we nerf it, it could all be 1-1 (with 1u phoron).

On 10/09/2020 at 19:03, Chada1 said:

Me and Kermit talked about it and the main issue rn is Saline Plus is actually Extremely strong so it can't be made less expensive without actually nerfing its power, when put into an IV, it's as good as an entire 3 O- blood bags. Now, one thing we considered is just making the other ingredients 1u/1u and leaving the Phoron cost at 5u, which makes it more convenient and simple to math together, but leaves the expense. We're planning changes soon™️ but we're not sure to what extent it'll be convenience/nerfs, if we keep it at its current strength the ingredients will be 1-1 (with 5u phoron), if we nerf it, it could all be 1-1 (with 1u phoron).

That is fine to keep the expense, the formula is just really annoying to math out.

Are you considering reworking other recipes? Now that Bicaridine is essentially Kelotane, maybe you should simplify the formula? Kelotane is (iirc) just carbon and silicon, while Bicaridine is Inaprovaline (not base chemicals) and carbon (I think).

On a note semi-related to the one above, since Kelotane is accessible in the sleepers, and Bicaridine is now the brute equivalent of Kelotane, would it be too much to put Bicaridine in sleepers as well? Then the sleepers would have all the basic healing chems, allowing doctors to treat patients a little more easily without a pharmacist available, while still not being the most efficient possible way. Sleepers are rather underutilized most of the time anyway, I've observed.

3 hours ago, TrainTN said:

On a note semi-related to the one above, since Kelotane is accessible in the sleepers, and Bicaridine is now the brute equivalent of Kelotane, would it be too much to put Bicaridine in sleepers as well? Then the sleepers would have all the basic healing chems, allowing doctors to treat patients a little more easily without a pharmacist available, while still not being the most efficient possible way. Sleepers are rather underutilized most of the time anyway, I've observed.

Is this a new thing they're adding? Sleepers don't have Kelotane in them at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Lordnesh said:

Is this a new thing they're adding? Sleepers don't have Kelotane in them at the moment.

Oh, they don't? I must have misremembered, and confused it with another server. Never mind then, my mistake.

I'm open to the idea of adding the lowest tier of each damage type to the sleepers. 👀

3 hours ago, Chada1 said:

I'm open to the idea of adding the lowest tier of each damage type to the sleepers. 👀

That might be good. One of my biggest issues with medical is lack of chemists.

As for the problem of lack of chemists, I'm not sure how to fix that. Maybe streamlining the recipes? I don't know though.

Although, now that I think about it some more. There are dermaline pills in the cabinet iirc. And you can always make tric easily.

6 hours ago, Chada1 said:

They already have Dexalin and Dylovene, as well as Inaprovaline to mix to create Tricordrazine. One could combine that with Kelotane and Bicaridine to treat wounded patients. So long as they're still outpaced by the stronger medicines, I think that's acceptable. It would also mean I wouldn't have to decide which versions to carry as a doctor, as I can rely on the sleepers for mild treatments and medicine bottles for severe ones. Doctors would be a little less reliant on having an active pharmacist, and the pharmacists can prioritize producing the stronger medicines and save the weaker ones for later if they so desire. I think it could be a decent boost to Medbay's quality-of-life without invalidating anything, unless I'm overlooking something.

If this was made a feature I'd also want the GTR cryotubes moved to the ICU and a second sleeper installed in the GTR, but that's a mapping suggestion, not a mechanical one.

1 hour ago, Lordnesh said:

That might be good. One of my biggest issues with medical is lack of chemists.

As for the problem of lack of chemists, I'm not sure how to fix that. Maybe streamlining the recipes? I don't know though.

Although, now that I think about it some more. There are dermaline pills in the cabinet iirc. And you can always make tric easily.

Can't streamline them too much, but we can definitely simplify the most awful to make to try to increase their use, some chemists avoid making certain chems for no other reason than they can cause a headache, saline Plus is kinda like that rn.

We plan to try to increase the use of like, the weaker pain relievers and other weaker drugs by just making them more accessible and making them available alongside the other chems tho which is probably a good idea.

On 14/09/2020 at 22:28, Chada1 said:

Yes please. Especially with cloning gone, the lack of a chemist can lead to some unnecessary deaths without at least basic chemicals. The sleeper would see much more use if it had basic chemicals, and there is only one sleeper so it would still be a last resort with multiple patients piling in.

26 minutes ago, StationCrab said:

Yes please. Especially with cloning gone, the lack of a chemist can lead to some unnecessary deaths without at least basic chemicals. The sleeper would see much more use if it had basic chemicals, and there is only one sleeper so it would still be a last resort with multiple patients piling in.

There's one sleeper in the GTR and one in the ICU.

On 16/09/2020 at 16:23, Lordnesh said:

There's one sleeper in the GTR and one in the ICU.

I stand corrected. For some reason I thought the one in the ICU was another scanner bed.