Sign in to follow this  
NerdyVampire

The Classified Server - new high-value antag target

The Premise

We are the premier research facility for the entire NT corporation, yet our best research room is 2x3 meters accessible by cutting an ID wire? Antags are having a hard time justifying targeting us as a research station at all, since their best bet at playing this out is stealing our research by jamming data disks into the console in R&D and just copying whatever the smarties have managed to do so far.

That doesn't really make sense to me, so I suggest we implement an actual vault-like server room with some actual valueable research hidden inside.

The Mapping

I suggest we either plop down a turret-protected server room on the research sublevels accessible through the maintenance tunnels or near the AI core under command.  It can take inspiration from the vault, but should feature some high-tech decor items (or actual items) to convince the visitor that it is an actual high-value target. The most important object in this room is of course the server console, from which the RD is meant to administrate the contents, and from which the antags can download classified high-value data.

The Research

I imagine that we create a list of ~15 different incriminating research topics and randomly insert 3-4 of those into the server at round start. This could include things such as 'Xenobotanical Bioweapon T22', 'Classified: Anomaly Gamma-Z', 'Toxin research compound solution S22', 'The omni-weapon', 'Skrellian telepathic mapping data', etc. Whatever it makes sense for NT to have (and want to obscure having).

When an antag accesses the console with a research data disk, they can download the data to the disk as normal, but the disk should turn red to indicate its high value (and make it identifiable) and the console should enter an X minutes lockdown period, which challenges the antag to come back again for more.

Closing

All in all I believe this would help alter the game-loop, give antags a better reason for targeting this station whether they are ninjas or traitors, and generally just reinforce our perceived role in the Nanotransen company.

Yes. 

Big big +1. 

I feel this would be a fantastic edition as far as antag goals go and really drive home the fact we are indeed a research station even if it doesn't seem like it. 

I really like this idea. 

We're not the premier research station but the like, secondary premier research station 👀 Upsilon is the #1, we're the #2.

But that's besides the point, it still makes absolute sense that we'd be guarding secrets, and we could use stuff for contractors to try to steal too, so yup, just +1. 

This idea sounds very nice, I support anything that can facilitate more drama, intrigue, and subterfuge. It sounds like a good mixture of fluff and mechanics to further roleplay and motivate antagonists. The Aurora is an important high-security research station and anything that helps tie that fact into gameplay and roleplay is a good thing. It's also a nice reminder that Nanotrasen is shady as hell and that we're all working for an amoral megacorporation that does whatever it wants when no one's looking. Whatever is in that vault should be very serious, very classified, and possibly very illegal data that has implications beyond the Aurora itself and would be considered worth killing for, both to steal and to protect.

Would the Captain, AI, and/or Research Director be knowledgeable of what's contained within this data vault, so that they understand how vitally important it is to keep this vault and its contents safe and secure at any cost? Or would its contents be kept secret even from them?

Would it contain anything other than data? Prototype technology, or mysterious samples, or other physical objects (not necessarily useful ones!) to loot in addition to the data? Having more stuff to steal is fun, but it'd be bad if it overshadowed the top-secret server itself, that should be the primary focus.

And there should definitely be a tool for admins/mods to edit the contents of the server so that they can easily work it into their events and narratives on the fly.

17 minutes ago, TrainTN said:

Would the Captain, AI, and/or Research Director be knowledgeable of what's contained within this data vault, so that they understand how vitally important it is to keep this vault and its contents safe and secure at any cost? Or would its contents be kept secret even from them?

The AI would likely be able to read the contents of the server, as a measure to ensure integrity. Whether the RD and Captain would have this knowledge is a lore-question I feel. On one hand they are both high-classed and highly-trusted command members, but specifically the RD is not loyalty implanted or such, which is controversial given how deep an insight they are supposed to have into NT goals and priorities. I would leave the question up for debate.

18 minutes ago, TrainTN said:

Would it contain anything other than data? Prototype technology, or mysterious samples, or other physical objects (not necessarily useful ones!) to loot in addition to the data? Having more stuff to steal is fun, but it'd be bad if it overshadowed the top-secret server itself, that should be the primary focus.

Personally I would be thrilled if whoever implements this would add something unique as well, unusable objects are a good idea, as long as they look cool and have some pseudo scientific name! Bluespace Vortex Buffer, Prototype S-44, Anomaly Core sample collection, etc. etc.

It sounds like a really cool idea! Right now Aurora doesn't really feel like an important research facility to me, just feels like a normal station. +1

1+ This idea seems reasonable to add as it adds more of an reason to attack the station and it seems like a fun feature for both crew and Antags.