Melteshonok — Command Application

BYOND key: Melteshonok

Discord Username: Melteshonok#3855

Character names:
•Ash Callahan — Security Cadet (NSS Aurora)
•Louis Bertram — Xenobotanist (died)
•Joseph Coldsmith — Europan Chef in a goofy padded cap.
•Marina Coldsmith — Medical Intern.
•Gongwue Mbanza — Dreg cargotech.
•Urgoth Xandru — Orion miner.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?

My first visit was around 2015-2016 with another ckey, fridaygus. Then, I took frequent breaks, but if count in total — I'd say 8 years. Im not that active on forums and in OOC chat, so no wonder few will recognize me :^)

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they?

The max I got is 1 day ban from Alb around half a year ago; got a bunch of warns after returning back from a long break, bumping into the red lines trying to define the limits of acceptable. Other than that, none.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?
The main and only purpose of Head Of Staff is to maintain the productive and healthy working environment, which allows to reach the defined goals. So good XO:
•Sets goals, so your subordinates always have something to do; idleness and staleness are devil's toys, and makes people look for ways to entertain themselves by the means possible, even if those sometimes break the regulations and make you spend your unpaid dinner hour for stressful paperwork. Plus points if the goal makes departments work together.
•Creates conditions, where the department employees are well-motivated and receive all the support they need to reach the set goals faster and safer.
•Maintains the communication, essential to flexibly react to changes.
What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?
I think, being whitelisted means you meet the set criterias to use the privilege of directing the events, so why not do it good, keeping the bar high? Make people rounds fun, react to changes, be flexible and open for the feedback, and give it; don't even think of exchanging a little personal win for a good story by losing; losing is fun really, and a good story to tell lasts longer than a short dopamine rush.

Explain how the recent events in the Spur changed your character and how they came to be employed on the SCCV Horizon.

[Bem Lanadi, XO from Eridani Federation]

Being a Suit from Eridani I, controlled by Hephaestus Industries, their professional growth was restricted to what Hephs had to offer; delivering the news about more and more paycuts to his subordinates, due to Sol's financial crysis, stomped his reputation and made him reconsider his position. Accepting the offer from SCC was a win-win: Conglomerate got a skillful supervisor, and Bem got an opportunity to finally start climbing the career ladder.

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted?

XO, Captain, OM

Have you familiarized yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles?

Yes, several times before and during the application writing.

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking:

Urgoth Xandru, OM  Changed my mind about this one, for now.
Bem Lanadi, XO
Xan Riphea, Captain

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action?

Yes, I am aware, and also find the idea fair.

Have you linked your BYOND account to the Forums?
Yes.

Extra notes:

Screenshot_2023-05-17-02-16-30-536-edit_com.discord.jpg

Edited by Melteshonok
  • Like 5
34 minutes ago, Melteshonok said:

Urgoth Xandru, OM

I think Urgoth is absolutely inappropriate for command is all I have to say right now. He's a literal caveman. He doesn't speak clear Basic. He carried a spear around the ship insisting it was his culture for weeks. I don't think he should be touching any command role. The rest seems fine at a glance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, limette said:

I think Urgoth is absolutely inappropriate for command is all I have to say right now. He's a literal caveman. He doesn't speak clear Basic. He carried a spear around the ship insisting it was his culture for weeks. I don't think he should be touching any command role. The rest seems fine at a glance.

Actually the real gimmick behind this character is

Spoiler

he's not a caveman. His intelligence is average human, and he speaks more than good on Free, while his Basic is, well, questionable yet understandable. His appearance and lack of proper socialization gives him that look.

I try to develop his arc, changing the appearance, improving the way he talks and acts, etc. Sorry if it wasn't remarkable, I'll try better :^)

...But you really have your point here, I'll reconsider him as a Head for now.

+1 Love this dude, love his character. Always makes the round interesting in a Roleplay friendly way, and demonstrates a level of responsibility that some people can look up to. Would love to see how he would do as a head of staff.

• Like 1

I've seen Urgoth, and before that Ash, and every interaction draws me in and makes me interested to know more. I've never seen Urgoth break character once, which is an incredible feat for such a unique take. Mel plays his characters very seriously and is is far more competent to play command than many I see already have whitelists.

+1 baby!!

Coldsmith, Xandru and Mbanza are based, they are generally bound to make the round more fun in one way or another, and I'd love to see what awaits us on the based character command side, therefore, I support ( +1 ) the trial.

I agree with the earlier comment about Urgoth being a bit inappropriate for OM. That said, I'm really happy you've applied <3

It's always a joy seeing a new Melteshonok character and it's very clear to me that a lot of creative thought goes into a lot of them. Joseph Coldsmith is the one I and perhaps the majority of people are familiar with, given their crew-facing role as a chef, and slowly learning about their backstory through some of my characters has been really fun, and actually rather emotional at times when you've tied it into antagonist gimmicks in the past. Gongwue is another memorable character, though I haven't had the chance to interact with them on a deeper level with any of my characters sadly. 

There have been a few interactions or characters that've been a bit questionable – Urgoth definitely was when they were newly introduced, but you've ironed them out – especially towards the beginning of this year when you were still getting re-acquainted with the server's climate, but you've acknowledge that in your app and it's been nice seeing you settle in and find your niche.

I would be really interested to see new characters of yours in command/representative roles. +1 from me.

Edited by kermit
edit

Giving you a trial, but it's under the provision that you play more grounded characters. We're stricter when it comes to command as to who would realistically be given these positions to uphold the SCC's reputation.

Trial ends 04/06/2023. Don't sweat playing constantly, just get some feedback as you can.

+1, writes an intricate captain and demonstrates a great mix of ability and personal flair to the role. Love Xan, I hope they stay as a captain--and I should have written this sooner.

Edit: I almost forgot to express my love for Urgoth and Gongwue. Gongwue especially is a fun dreg to be around.

Edited by dessysalta
had more to add

Huge fan of Joseph and Gongwue, its always enjoyable interacting with Melt's characters. They bring unique, developed, and immersive characters to the fray with a healthy dose of engaging narratives. I think they'll do great in a command role. +1

Melte is one of those few people that writes with nice, individualized, personable tone for each of their characters. Their emote use is purposeful and adds flair. All aspects of someone who can roleplay well and lead by example. Their quality is admirable and I would say at a higher level than most who currently hold Command whitelist.

Melte is one of the real ones, and every character of his, that i interacted with, are distinct and a joy to roleplay alongside. Im sure Melte will be able to develop and play good command characters.

Edited by Farofafeijao
typing error. Moved a coma

Melteshonok writes creative characters that genuinely inspire me to step out of my comfort zone. I've yet to play directly with his captain, but having observed a few rounds with him, the character feels perfect for the role, assertive in all the right ways and does well to drive the narrative of a round. This is a +1 from me.