[Accepted]I awoke in the warmth of radiation, and I must chirp - Diona Application

BYOND Key: Evildwells666
Primary Character Names: R.A.M (Engineering Module Primary, Science Module Secondary), Roy Stone(Operations, Mining), Jake Norwood (Science, Xenofauna/Circuits), Ed Mason(Engineering, Engineer), Lukas Morgan(Science, Weapons R&D), Rrs'var T'sanis (Operations, Shaft Miner), Szal V'kess (Operations, Machinist)
Secondary Character List: Dug Jimmins (Coalition Ranger - Off-Ship Role), Saa Rs'tak (Izweski Hegemony Kataphract Knights, Knight Captain - Off Ship Role)

Species you are applying to play: Diona
What color do you plan on making your first alien character: Diona Exempt - Likely Darker however, due to space-born
Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes, while also asking one of the loremins various questions as they came up

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

The Diona are a species I have been interested in for quite some time, but in truth, I never did a lot of research initially on. The idea of a species consisting of multiple entities, entirely different from any other species, has kept my intrigue. 

This would give me more opportunities to try different styles of roleplay. I will admit now, I don't know a good way to answer this specific section; I am a whimsical, simple man. I want to play as a Diona, to play as a Diona. I wish to enjoy them to their furthest extent, learning about their pros, and their cons as I go outside of the things that have already been mentioned on the wiki.  So to be rather blunt; I want to play Diona to learn more about them mechanically, their limits, while at the same time using them to change my style of RP with a non-human species with such unique personality traits, considering a Diona is more than one personality/creature forming one larger body.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

As previously stated, Diona are incredibly different from humans in the regards that you aren't playing just one being; You can be 5, 6, 7, or more separate beings in one body. Based on the mindset one chooses, this allows the player to interact in a variety of ways, from the semi-normal speech wise for some mindsets, all the way to something a bit more vague or delayed, due to the diona needing to decide how they wish to respond. This alone makes the Diona vastly different in regards to how one interacts with others.

Mechanically, the Diona are able to heal and regenerate themselves naturally, so while ill advised, it allows some situations to be played out differently with a somewhat lower risk, especially in regards to the Diona conditional pacifism; After all, if a Diona can protect another, at the cost of pain, it may be done for the sake of defense. But if someone is more suited to the position, it would be ceded to them. Of course, a Diona would try to avoid any kind of nymph death, or pain in general, since that would be a huge loss in regards to knowledge, among the many other issues involved with it.

Diona players also have the unique ability, that when/if the situation calls for it, they can be in two places at once; Using a split Nymph for their needs; Though this comes at the risk of Splitting Disorder, or a fear of the risk of losing the detaching Nymph, and the knowledge it possesses. This disorder of course, varies in severity from gestalt to gestalt, with some mind types being worse than others. But, this method could be used in various manners, depending on the Diona's needs.

In truth, the Diona have a basketful of mechanical, and RP related differences, which is what makes them so appealing to me.

Character Name: The Chronicler of Voided Histories and Forgotten Stars

Please provide a short backstory for this character:

The Chronicler of Voided Histories and Forgotten Stars's origins are almost as lost to time as the history they wish to unveil. A Diona 'born' in deep space, planted on an asteroid sailing beyond the frontier with a small cluster of other Diona, long ago.

By the time the asteroid entered Coalition space, They had already formed a gestalt, and their kind was not foreign. The Chronicler was lucky, ending up being found by a group of Coalition miners that were, for the most part, 'friendly', namely that their group consisting of a Unathi Guwan, a few humans, and included a Diona of their own. It was through this medium, that they were able to learn of the era's goings-on, and, this was where the The Chronicler sampled blood for the first time, taking their first glimpse into the glory that was memories, and history outside of their own encounters. The first step into an obsession, one could say.

It would be many, many years before The Chronicler's name was ever decided however, originally having only the experience of traveling through the vast void; But, through a chance encounter, they encountered a scientist, studying the region. It was there, that after a bit of talking, that they were able to receive new blood; The next step, into the future. This was the stepping stone that allowed The Chronicler to push towards their new name; The knowledge only helped bolster the desire for more. The desire to know the history of life, of the void. All things forgotten in that vast void.

Through this scientist, They were brought to Triesto, to the Zeng-Hu office in the Republic of Assunzione, where after weeks, if not months of interviews and discussions, that they would be brought in to the fold, hired by Zeng-Hu, under very specific, strict agreements; The most prevalent of which being that they must be chipped, and they were to work for the corporation for at least 50 years. Since The Chronicler had no experience in deals, and haggling during such a time, The deal was accepted; In return, The corporation agreed to provide the 'training' that was required, or in this case, The blood containing the knowledge that was needed for the job at hand, as well as providing the required paperwork required, before they were assigned to the SCC Horizon. The exact year of these agreements has been kept in the dark, However, this is where The Chronicler's journey once more begins, after such a long time adrift.

What do you like about this character?

The blatant, almost obsessive desire to learn about the past, and forgotten cultures through xenoarcheology that this character, and the nymphs themselves would have, to be blunt.

This character would also be one of my first actual proper forays into Xenoarch, as its a role I have put off to an obscene degree due to my preference in other jobs.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

To be blunt, this is pretty much a direct copy paste from my Unathi app, as the answer remains the same.

On a scale of 1-10, I would rate it around a 6.5 at this time, but in truth it is not for me to judge. I'm critical of myself almost always on this kind of thing. The reason around this choice is because I took a hiatus from roleplay for a while, and have getting back into the saddle for it. I know there are things I need to get back into doing, like using the emote command more (Admittedly the build in action notifications cover a lot of the basics, which helped negate the need.) However, I am actively working on doing more.

Notes:

I will be pretty blunt. I couldn't think of a backstory this time to save my life, so I kind of winged it as I went. I am fully up for discussing this with loremins in regards to cleaning it up, But this was the rough idea I came up with to get the app out there.

Mindtype: The Chronicler's mindtype is a mixture offshoot of Harmonious Hymn, and Scholarly Song. The democratic pursuit of knowledge, with every Nymph under the agreement that the desire they seek, the knowledge, must be obtained. The main difference, is that if there is no other way to obtain knowledge, they will not hesitate to consume the dead for knowledge; But this is only if there is no other means to obtain the information they seek. Otherwise, it is put to a vote, based on the Nymph's desires for the knowledge in question. - (Please note: If this character is used for antagging, it is more of Voided Vocals at that time, but only during antagging in a sort of non-canon fanfic for Diona.)

Edited by Syncron
Added a bit to mindtype
  • Syncron changed the title to I awoke in the warmth of radiation, and I must chirp - Diona Application

Hello! Overall we fell your app is fairly solid, but do have some questions regarding Star's time in the spur:

• Have they formed any opinions on the Eternal religion or church?
  • Do they have any opinions on other species or synthetics? Has anything happened to cause them to hold these opinions?
  • What about the megacorps and the SCC as a whole?
  • Is it intended that they were just assigned to the Horizon, or did they request to be sent there, and if the latter, why?

1: For the most part, no. They have not had much experience with the eternal religion, and being rather dedicated to their desire to learn about that which has been all but forgotten, they haven't felt the need to seek it out - Of course, they do know of its existence to a degree, but have no real opinion one way or the other.

2: Synthetics, over time, they have grown to like; Not for much of a particular reason outside of the fact that they can retain knowledge for far longer periods of time than traditional species; Barring accidents or mishaps, of course. For the most part however, they don't judge a whole species as one; Due to a vote between themselves, they decided that they would judge a person, or being upon encountering them, after meeting and learning about humans in the Coalition - Some would harvest Diona, others would help them. A quick messy lesson that not everybody is the same.

3: Some megacorps they do feel are more ideal; While not due to their work ethic specifically, but by their ability to acquire information, and retain it. So for them, scientific related organizations were better (regardless of any shadiness that is rumored or anything else) - But they don't really much attention, negative or otherwise, towards the other corporations. In their minds a corporation was like a lesser attempt to mimic a Dionae.

4: It was intended for them to just so happen to be assigned to the Horizon; Their only request was to be sent somewhere that would let them learn about the past, as their obvious obsession in this app is obviously pointed towards - Of course, they likely were given a list of options to choose from eventually, and they would have chosen the Horizon; Namely for the size of the expedition in general, and the purpose of the vessel aligning with it's own desires.

• Yonnimer changed the title to [Accepted]I awoke in the warmth of radiation, and I must chirp - Diona Application
  • Yonnimer locked this topic