Rusty Shackleford Ban Request.

BYOND Key: Brightdawn

Accused Players Byond Key: Rusty Shacklef4rd

Time of Act: 15:00-15:30

Reason for Ban: Making rape threats and harassment threats against me in OOC, while he was given a warning he apparently has many notes against him for "shitposting" I don't feel that with his history a warning of "You'll be perma'd if you shitpost again" is acceptable.

I was also told that he was doing it just to "Rile me up" and I should ignore him, I feel this is worse because what he said wasn't even heat of the moment it was something he said intentionally just to spite me, I feel if it was heat of the moment I'd be something I could say "We all make mistakes" and move on but it wasn't.

Given his history, everything leading up to this where he's been warned multiple times on the forums for being toxic, I don't think a simple warning will cut it anymore, I don't really know if a permaban would sort out the situation but something like a 2 week ban might be acceptable.

Evidence: I will edit this post to provide the logs when I receive them, an admin is gathering them for me but is AFK for a few hours, I will ask that people online when it happened post here.

How many warnings has Rusty received for this behavior? Not even just for today. Did he really just get let off with a warning for this?

Remember LoneTophat, you guys? Is making rape threats, as empty you might think they might be, just short of the degeneracy bar that LoneTophat set almost a year ago?

I personally don't think so. This is absolutely disgusting and shameful. There's no way in hell that anyone gave any thought thought of the consequence of keeping someone in our community who thought to be so autistic as to harass and threaten with raping another community member.

You know, simply using the word rape in a sentence, even one geared toward riling you up, doesn't make it a "rape threat."

Was I being an asshole? Sure. But there were no threats involved.

You said and I quote

"AM I RAPING YOUR MIND"

as well as something else containing the word rape it all, after threatening me, I don't know how that could be taken any other way.

If this was something said in the heat of the moment I would be hurt yes but this wouldn't be something I care so much about. but this was a deliberate chosen attack on me, you knew exactly what you where saying, you knew exactly what you could say to hurt and attack me and thats what makes this so horrible in my eyes.

You went out of your way to repeatedly attack someone you don't even know with Rape and Harassment threats no less, I don't know you I've never had a conversation that isn't you insulting me or my friends.

I speak without Hyperbole when I say I think you're genuinely toxic, you don't care who you hurt you just do it.

You said and I quote

"AM I RAPING YOUR MIND"

Imho, yeah he should just get a warning for that. If he was talking about raping her physically or something sure, I could see a ban. But if what he said was "your mind" I see that as another way of "I'm fucking with your head" that's just me though.

97afe020b4.png

Sure, Rusty. Because that's totally acceptable to say in a conversation. This is something you would never get in trouble for saying in real life.

When someone asks you to chill out and dial back, then chill out and dial back. Don't be the asshat that decides "I do what I want and I say what I want, fuck you". If you can't follow the one rule that applies to out-of-game behavior, why the hell are you still here?

He's been warned so many times for this. Do you seriously think he cares?

He hasn't changed since the start. Shit, I'm a salty-ass veteran myself and I've shit on some folks I've viewed as shit, but I don't personally attack people without good argumentative reason.

Why are you folks defending Rusty for this? Do you not know who he is or something? Is this something that's okay? Can I go on the server acting unironically lewd and pretending to be a retard?

Brightdawn was asked to chill too, she shouted some rather rude things at him too, this was very far from a one-sided thing. I distinctly remember brightdawn telling someone to kill themselves. She seemed intent on stirring drama, and went from cheerful to triggered in 0.5 seconds

This was casual banter that happens on the internet. It was her choice to get offended by it, and i sure don't want to see someone banned over a silly argument in chat.

Someone post the logs, and don't believe hearsay

Edited by Guest

Logs.

Line 13122: [09:56:57]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : Also skull stop being a busta' and strip my forum rank

Line 13126: [09:57:03]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : I like it when you strip me <3

Line 13137: [09:57:21]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : But people think I'm still a dev

Line 13146: [09:57:29]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : And are getting mad at me for wasting time

Line 13149: [09:57:32]OOC: Andrea Markowski/Rusty Sh4ckleford : nobody ever thought you were a dev

Line 13151: [09:57:38]OOC: Andrea Markowski/Rusty Sh4ckleford : i didn't even know you applied for anything

Line 13161: [09:57:57]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : I mean the green name and rank and accepted app kind of where a dead giveaway

Line 13168: [09:58:15]OOC: Andrea Markowski/Rusty Sh4ckleford : Seriously who even are you though

Line 13172: [09:58:26]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : I could ask the same of you really.

Line 13182: [09:58:42]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : You've never even met me but all you've done is act a cunt rusty.

Line 13184: [09:58:53]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : Do me a favor and take a long walk off a short pier

Line 13202: [09:59:25]OOC: Andrea Markowski/Rusty Sh4ckleford : huehuehue, don't open the can of worms brightdawn

Line 13205: [09:59:31]OOC: Andrea Markowski/Rusty Sh4ckleford : i will shitpost you into oblivion

Line 13210: [09:59:41]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : So you're saying you'll harras me.

Line 13213: [09:59:44]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : Okay.

Line 13222: [09:59:50]OOC: Andrea Markowski/Rusty Sh4ckleford : Do you need a safe space brighdawn?

Line 13226: [09:59:56]OOC: Andrea Markowski/Rusty Sh4ckleford : Am I triggering you?

Line 13248: [10:00:23]OOC: Andrea Markowski/Rusty Sh4ckleford : ARE MY WORDS RAPE TO YOU, BRITHDAWN

Line 13253: [10:00:26]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : Okay

Line 13267: [10:00:37]OOC: Andrea Markowski/Rusty Sh4ckleford : AM I RAPING YOUR SENSITIVE MIND

Line 13285: [10:00:52]OOC: Brightdawn/Brightdawn : Rusty is litreally shouting about raping my mind

Everything up to line 13 248 is conduct which is generally considered fine for all community members to partake in within reason. After a relatively long discussion with the mods, primarily focused on the minute details of what exactly we want to ban people for, we have come to a few understandings.

Point one, to a degree, an individual has to be able to separate himself and stop getting hurt. We cannot, and we will not on principle, enforce policy which dictates that you have to remain curt, uptight, 100% proper at all times. Understand that, as far as my perception goes, at no point was Rusty's intent towards you hostile. A part of communicating with humans is distinguishing intent, and responding properly. Line 13 172 is an attack on par with Rusty's initial opening, so no "stop" signal is sent. 182 and 184 follow in the same vein. (To be completely honest, I assumed the expression used by Brightdawn to be a request for suicide. So the escalation seemed mutual.) 13 210 is where you seem to take personal offence, and Rusty, being the amazingly tactful person that he is, fails to notice this and continues.

The exchange in and of itself would not merit anything beyond a request for better mutual understanding in the future, on the first offence between two specific people.

Point two. Rape jokes. This is what the staff considered a no-go. Considering Rusty's been consistently warned for this for a fucklong time, and little to absoloutely no improvement has been had on this specific matter, we don't really see a point to further entertain the issue. A permanent ban is being considered for this specific issue.

The complaint will be left open for 48 hours for any further discussion on the matter to be had.

Point two. Rape jokes. This is what the staff considered a no-go. Considering Rusty's been consistently warned for this for a fucklong time, and little to absoloutely no improvement has been had on this specific matter, we don't really see a point to further entertain the issue. A permanent ban is being considered for this specific issue.

I'd question why calling someone a cunt and telling them to commit suicide is okay, but jokes that mention rape (he's definitely not threatening anything) are somehow off limits, it seems arbitrary

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/88/64/a8/8864a8f537627ee8218f53b067aa99e3.jpg

This feels relevant

This was hearted fight between two people and both sides were childish, i don't think it's reasonable to punish only one for things said in the heat of the moment, and personally i'dd rather nobody was banned about this

Wait, are you seriously calling the expression "Take a long walk off a short pier" (which basically just means "screw you") a suggestion for suicide?

Really? That's amazing.

Wait, are you seriously calling the expression "Take a long walk off a short pier" (which basically just means "screw you") a suggestion for suicide?

Really? That's amazing.

I assumed that's what it meant. Considering that the end of the pier is usually the sea, and walking off it would mean, well, ending up in the sea. I was later corrected by the staff.

And, Nanako. The issue is that Rusty has been doing this shit for a fuck long time. Like, 2 years. And has a butt long amount of warnings, to include a week ban, all of them requesting he simmer down with his vocabulary. No improvement has been had, so welp.jpg.

That's sorta irrelevant, though. Rusty's permaban is attached to the constant rape jokes he's been making for 2 years, and has racked 6+ warnings + bans up against.

The specific incident raised in the complaint, without the mention of the word rape, is deemed a hug-it-kiss-it-out type affair.

Mindrape is a word and outside of the tumblr crowd I've never heard of it being considered outrageous to use. It is fair use of a definition of the term "rape." It wasn't a rape joke, it was making fun of Brightdawn's already notorious thin skin. I fear for the server if people can get banned for saying triggering words, regardless of their history. I'm surprised to see 1138 pushing for this after his honorable and impassioned defense of Technokat... this is just moving the ban meter to a new low.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

On the old forums i made a complaint against a staff-member, Mr. Majestic, when he made rape jokes about my mother. They were not acceptable then, and they should not be acceptable now. These sorts of jokes always make me uncomfortable no matter the context in which they were used, but I restrain myself from making comments because so often voicing this discomfort immediately spawns rebuttals of

the tumblr crowd

Twice Rusty had to be removed from the lore chat for being extremely abrasive and front with sexual jokes and innappropriate comments despite repeated warnings to stop. I've experienced, been the target of, and punished this sort of behavior from him myself. His behavior does not change and it is consistent throughout his entire tenure playing on the server.

If someone cannot, after such a long time playing here, understand that rape jokes are things not to be thrown around so callously despite warning after warning - given by myself as well - then they should find another community that is more receptive to this kind of humor.

Mindrape is a word and outside of the tumblr crowd I've never heard of it being considered outrageous to use. It is fair use of a definition of the term "rape." It wasn't a rape joke, it was making fun of Brightdawn's already notorious thin skin. I fear for the server if people can get banned for saying triggering words, regardless of their history. I'm surprised to see 1138 pushing for this after his honorable and impassioned defense of Technokat... this is just moving the ban meter to a new low.

http://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4188&start=30#p41898

First off, do not lie. I said, he needs to be told to quit being a moron and push to improve. He was not spoken to about this behavior and instead he was given warning after warning after warning without a single indication that his behavior is becoming awful enough to permaban for. I want you to read over this entire thread and explain to me how these two cases are the exact same and that I'm inconsistent for wanting to give one person a chance about half a year ago as opposed to me not wanting to give another veteran who does nothing but shitstir and troll in OOC. Might it be that circumstances and developing opinions can end up judging one case differently from another?

No, because that would be absolutely reasonable and it wouldn't serve to fit this cute habit everyone's grown to attack everyone and their mother that dares post their perspective on an open forum.

Secondly, I know for certain you brought this up to steer it off topic, so let's compare and be productive, though.

Back then, Techno wasn't spoken to past "you're warned for this behavior", as no one at the time had thought of speaking to this guy. I invite anyone who has proof saying that he was spoken to in regards to this, which can easily make my entire point here null, and that'd be fine by me. TK got permabanned for something apart from the forum request entirely, so there's that. The request filed by EORHappiness was not taken into account in regards to TK's permaban. I don't even know the true ban reason TechnoKat has. This is not meant to be insulting, it's just how it was.

Now we have Rusty. He's been warned time and time again these past few months of this year and told of what would happen if he kept acting like he was. Several violations of rule 1, "Don't be a dick." Consistently riling up players for shits and kicks. He ignored these warnings, he most certainly ignored the discussions he's had with staff. He's banned now as a result of neglecting to heed the warnings he was given. Et al.

Also, in relation to "take a long walk off a short pier", I don't know if you're citing urban dictionary as a source, but:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/take_a_long_walk_on_a_short_pier

It's a pejorative, idiom, colloqiualism. Whatever you call it. See the synonyms for it? "Get lost", "Go jump in a lake"? "Take a hike"?

No, obviously it means "kill yourself, asshole".

Like, fucking what. What is with this community?

WHO THE FUCK CITES MOONMAN AS A CREDIBLE SOURCE

Please separate Brightdawn from this. I am aware of the fact that they have thin skin, and the encounter in general I consider fair play. Read my initial post here fully, and understand it. Nuance is important, you seemed to have missed it. Plus, Brightdawn has already left from the community, even before the decision was made, so we're not attempting to keep her around by banning Rusty (which is what you're implying we're doing) and creating a hugbox as a result.

It should also be considered I have a track record for being horribly insensitive, so I would like to think that whenever I consider punishing for something like this, a good few camel backs have been broken prior to this. Those camels come in the form of a laundry list of warnings for the exact same conduct over a period of two (2) years. Something's gotta give, bud.

Point three, regarding words. Let's be frank. If someone started plastering "YOU'RE A RETARD" in all caps over OOC on a regular basis, they would end up banned, eeeyup? I assume they would eventually. Same exact case here.

And finally. Once again, if you bothered to read, I am less worried about rape being used as a word, as I am worried about the fact that Rusty has thrown outbursts like that around consistently for 2 years. Once again. At some point. Something has to give. Don't you think?

"Take a long walk off a short pier" is lower on my insult scale than a genteel Southern grandmother saying "Bless your heart". Skull, I'm not kidding, "Bless your heart" is an insult of the highest degree in some American subcultures. I have never, however, heard "Take a long walk off a short pier" be used as any more than a polite "You annoy me, go away". Furthermore, she said he acted like a cunt, which is the softer form as well.

My problem with Rusty is that his alt-right /b/ level offensive asshole routine is, just that, an alt-right /b/ level offensive asshole routine. Its not a question of "trigger words". Its not a question of "banter". Its a question of deliberately trying to get up under people's skin and then play the crybaby victim of "muh free speech". Then he finds another person to troll, and runs his routine again.

Brightdawn has thin skin? Fine, whatever. If this were a normal conversation with a normal person, I'd agree Brightdawn should ease up. But this is the edgelord supreme of Aurora dumping razor blades on someone he thinks he can easily victimize and get away with, then make no effort whatsoever to smooth things out himself. Just dump more razor blades and then be an alt-right crybaby. Its not the individual action. Its the routine. Rusty has shown he will play his little self-aggrandizing mind game ad nauseum.

So bless his heart.

[rape jokes are mean]

Well in this case, which is the only one he's on trial for, it's not a rape joke. It was making fun of her thin skin, not making fun of rape. The humor in it isn't "rape is funny" but rather "It's funny that you are triggered." It just so happens that (mind)rape is a word in his vocabulary, and he used it appropriately. Because she got serious mid banter, saying "So you're saying you'll harass me."

I don't think people should get into banter with someone else if they can't handle it escalating. He didn't "threaten rape" and frankly its slanderous that Brightdawn claims he did.

But in reply to skull's post, I get that he has a long record and I haven't bothered to look into it. I don't think it matters unless it can be proven that IN THIS CASE he did significant wrongdoing. I don't think its fair to ban someone over a stack of resolved issues. The past shouldn't swing a guilty/not guilty verdict, it should only serve to intensify the sentence in the event of a guilty verdict. That's my only point here. That and that I don't believe "AM I RAPING YOUR MIND" is beyond the pale, for the reasons I've already said: It's not a rape joke, its fair use of the word rape.

For what it's worth, the issue is that he's done it for two years and has done the same thing over and over and over again with no improvement or regards for anyone expressing frustration or anger with him. There's "he's just dicking around" and "he's just a dick", and there's "he has utterly no regard for anyone who's upset and, when presented with the opportunity, will attack and try to trigger or upset someone who expresses any manner f discomfort to what they're doing." The moment Brightdawn expressed they were thin or concerned about Rusty attacking them, Rusty immediately began to verbally harass them with whatever means they could, throwing a verity of insults at them and trying to provoke them into responding further.

That's not okay. Frankly, that behavior should be far from tolerated especially if this guy has been at it for two years with the same old crap with a stack of warnings, a handful of bans, and no signs of him ever considering to change his ways.

I haven't been attacked by Rusty and I believe in second chances and leniency if someone improves, but Rusty has shown he hasn't, and won't. Second, third, fourth chances have been given. In my eyes, he had multiple chances, and this situation shows that he really, really does not care and will not improve and will only continue to find people with weaker skin and attack them.

But in reply to skull's post, I get that he has a long record and I haven't bothered to look into it. I don't think it matters unless it can be proven that IN THIS CASE he did significant wrongdoing. I don't think its fair to ban someone over a stack of resolved issues. The past shouldn't swing a guilty/not guilty verdict, it should only serve to intensify the sentence in the event of a guilty verdict. That's my only point here. That and that I don't believe "AM I RAPING YOUR MIND" is beyond the pale, for the reasons I've already said: It's not a rape joke, its fair use of the word rape.

And we're not banning him for this singular offence, but instead, for a history of 2 years.

His record makes his use of the word rape invalid in this situation. As simple as that.

Everyone here uses certain words in context which is considered anti-SJW. That's fine. If we're looking at it from the viewpoint of SJWs, then my own usage of the word "retarded" would very quickly come under fire. Same for a dozen other community members.

But none of us use words like that the extent that Rusty uses them to. As I said: two. Years. Over half a dozen warnings + two bans on the same. Exact. Thing. Literally, all we've requested is that he not devolve to all-caps rape shouting (this instance) or talking about hentai/other fun shit over OOC. To no avail.

Where's the line, Melkior? Please point it out for me.