Ask a mod/admin!

Frances

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I have some legitimate questions.

When did you all become mods/admins? Were you here from the beginning? Was there an original Glorious Supreme Admin Leader before Frances? Are there other staff that aren't currently here anymore that served before?

*rises, back popping, from a rocking chair*

I became an admin in the first few days of Aurora - Tool asked me to lend a hand in moderating the then-fledgling server. I was demoted as Tool's staff were mostly all purged following his resignation and told to apply the proper way, then I started from square one as a mod and worked back up to adminship.

Yep. I was here from way before the start. I'm ancient, actually; I was a regular when Covert received his first whitelist on old Apollo, I watched the split happen and talked with Laser about his feelings over the whole ordeal, and, way back when, I even got to participate in the angry mob that almost got Rusty banned when he first joined because we all mistook him for an alias of an admin that had recently been demoted.

Yes, there was another Glorious Leader, but that was covered already.

And, mhm, there are; a few, actually. Almost but not quite including me, heh.

• 3 weeks later...
What is your ideal player, besides "not a shit heel"?

For me, somebody who plays a personifiable, yet average character. Samantha Mason and Imraj Brar come to mind as immediate examples (though there's many more I can think of, apologies for only naming these two). But the reason why I really like these characters is that they're average, yet recognizable. Unique, but not for something stupid, like being a super robust army man or a crazy scientist. Instead, they've got their own sets of strengths and flaws, minor details which, while unremarkable on their own, come together to create a believable complexity representative of life.

There's two kinds of characters we see a the most. "Extreme" space dudes who are good at everything and super badass, and everyman characters who are so bland nobody remembers them. (The two people I've seen play everyman characters well are Rebel and Drew, these guys are champs at giving anything average a "local" flavor.) But people need to take more liberties in giving their characters "unique" traits that are believable. And that might mean stepping out of your comfort zone, because perhaps your perfect character isn't black or indian, or part of some religion you don't really know about, or 20 years older than you are. But if you can find a trait that'll add flavor to your character, and find a good groove to play with (an issue I see fairly often is a lot of people stick to younger characters because older characters have a limited dating pool, or just present foreign experiences to them), you'll end up with a /lot/ of roleplay opportunities, because people will appreciate your character and enjoy roleplaying with you. And your "perfect" character won't be remembered. But your "flawed" one will.

Besides creating diversified characters, I always appreciate people who have a good sense of humor, and a general appreciation of the game. Good players don't need to be sociable (in fact, a lot of our good players have barely said anything in OOC), but they should be able to take things lightly, and recognize when something is an issue and when something is simply part of the round's flow.

Basically, when you complain, you better make sure you know what you're complaining about. I don't mean to scare people away from complaining if they believe they have a reason for it (we exist to receive feedback and address it), but constantly hearing "wahhh the antag ruined my chair-rp" gets annoying after a while.

Also, I've noticed something interesting on other pages of the forum, and I have to ask:

How do you people keep track of warnings and notes against certain offenders?

The game has a "Player Notes" system built into it. Basically, for every CKey ingame, there is an associated list of notes. We can review these at any time, really, or add to them.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it possible for Admins to do special things by entering commands, like play music or change Nar'Sie's sprite into a gif or make people explode into bloody gibs?

I have a picture of such a moment occurring on the fledgling Aurora.

F2lVyQn.png

There's a lot of things the admins can do, and it's mostly only limited by imagination.

Is it possible for Admins to do special things by entering commands, like play music or change Nar'Sie's sprite into a gif or make people explode into bloody gibs?

I have a picture of such a moment occurring on the fledgling Aurora.

F2lVyQn.png

There's a lot of things the admins can do, and it's mostly only limited by imagination.

Will this sort of goofy shit ever happen again?

Will this sort of goofy shit ever happen again?

Probably not. We're generally lighthearted, but Aurora is a Heavy-RP server and we've (I think) generally begun treating it like that. While that might be astoundingly fun at times, it's generally not the atmosphere we aim for.

But then again, we're all here to have fun.