O-O-S's Worn Trenchcoat

Urthrem

BYOND Key: Urthrem

Character name: O-O-S

Item name: Worn out trenchcoat

Why is your character carrying said item to work?

The trenchcoat is piece of style that O-O-S developed ever since he was given the IPC Chassis, wearing it along with his trusted turtleneck and webbing.The coat itself is a reminder of the start, the day when he became an IPC and gained freedom of choice and the chance to become something more. Through the time the coat began to gain signs of usage, tearing in few places from being removed and putted on relatively often, with holes being sewed each time O-O-S had time to do it, along with it came the splats of dried oil and soot marks in spots the IPC didn't notice it.

Item function(s):

An armor slot gray trenchcoat with three small storage slots in it, used as fashion grab and protection from a bad weather.

Item description:

A gray, rugged and patched trenchcoat, with signs of extensive usage, having signs of differently colored thread sewed into the material along with patches of similarly colored material in different spots hiding few holes and torn parts, along with oil splats and soot gathered in spots that weren't cleaned or spotted, giving the hint of being in usage for a good while.

Item appearance:

A lightly retextured version of grey trenchcoat, preferably with few patches of material covering some spots of the coat itself, along with oil splats and soot.

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP? It would show that as time passes O-O-S keeps wearing the same clothing piece, perhaps because he lacks money to get new one or perhaps he got attached to it, seeing it as something more than apparel that you put on and wear, making it a piece of him, allowing others to distinguish him from the crowd. To him the coat is like a skin, which he wears nearly always, perhaps with exceptions of times when he has to dome the engineering void suit to work in depressurized areas.

Additional comments:

I am not the most descriptive, for which I apologize, but the trenchcoat itself is feel like unique piece of O-O-S self and appearance, something I as player and O-O-S grew attached to and would really like to see added to the game, as more sentimental value.

Edited by Guest

Alrighty then, I'm guessing the only tweak this would need is a bit more in-depth of a backstory. Look at the accepted apps for what I mean; most of them tend to have very credible reasons why the character would have the item in question.

Just feels a bit lacking, is'all.

• 1 month later...

O-O-S keeps wearing the same clothing piece, perhaps because he lacks money to get new one

He works a professional job. How does he not have money to decide "I literally do not have money for any clothing"? He's an engineer for crying out loud.

or perhaps he got attached to it

allowing others to distinguish him from the crowd

Becoming attached to simple or ubiquitous objects like clothing seems pretty human to me. Wanting to stand out in a crowd also seems pretty human to me, considering that station engineers don't normally have a reason to be recognized unlike Security or Medical personnel. I'm not sold on these reasons unless you make a REALLY good case for them.

The issue I have with this primarily lies in the fact that it's torn and crap. To reference what I've written in a different application:

I dig the face plate for IRD, but this item for JIX is literally the most cliche thing in the history of ever. It's literally always "oh, my coat is torn up" or "oh, my coat is torn up, but hastily/shittily patched", and I'm starting to lose my mind over the number of applications I've accepted that are literally just "Oh, I wear broken clothes to my professional space station job for a mega corporation."

Not gonna lie, I'm probably going to go take lessons from Kurt Cobain on purchasing home defense weapons and garage redecoration if I have to straight up accept another torn clothing application.

Sure, jackets are cliche as hell too, but at least they make a lot more sense half the time than tattered clothing.

• 2 weeks later...