2017 in Review

2017 has ended, so let's see what happened and perhaps what we can learn from it.

This thread will contain a general overview of the year with my thoughts attached, along with an overview and explanation of the data. I've also published the results of the survey from like, August. Go gawk. (And note that it's from the end of the summer, where shit was pretty crazy.)

The Year in Review

The last year has most certainly been the stronkest year we've had development wise. The new map was a success it really shouldn't have been, take that as astonishment more than anything else; we've had regular and large updates with content, fixes, optimizations, etcetera. Granted, the last few months have been slower than the rest, thanks to outside circumstances, but the development team and I will be looking to make amends for that once we are able. And perhaps now, with the new map released, we can look into updating the duties of some departments, like medical and engineering, along with starting to look into how we can break the general mold of SS13 to be something new and different. A few ideas have already been tossed about, all of them showing promise to go counter to the general round scheme of doing initial setup, and then waiting for the actors of the round to show up. Though, considering that I have already dedicated at least one, if not two threads towards development over the past six months, I think we should look at other happenings as well.

Lore had their second antagonist contest. From which one key lesson should be taken away for the future, in my opinion. It is clear that the last week, where the Sol government military had an active presence on the Exodus, was more engaging than the rest of the second contest combined with the first. The lesson alluded to before would be that events like this, specially long haul ones, require something tangible to be present ingame. Simply working with numbers, as the antag contest did in the beginning, does not make a difference great enough for the average player to notice and feel impacted by. This gets worse when said intangible numbers are the cause of some tangible outcome, as was the case with the first antagonist contest, if my memory serves me. Perhaps the lore team and admin team will find better ways to communicate and organize more player-relevant events in the future, using said lessons.

The team also expanded with the creation of the wiki workgroup, which is now led by AllyBearsly. Their work has not had any explosive breakthroughs, there really aren't any to be had. Instead, it's been a steady, forward movement towards actually having a usable, maintained, and filled wiki. All this thanks to the contributions of AllyBearsly and his team!

Reviewing the Statistics

With those pleasant words said, let's move onto reviewing the conglomerate of numbers I've pulled from the database.

Though, before I do, regarding the feedback given around August. One of the large issues we noticed while evaluating the text responses was the expectation for staff to be proactive in noticing bad conduct. While this point has been rightfully crusaded against by our admins beforehand, I would still like to make this clear. With our as-small-as-can-be staff team, we cannot notice everything. So please help us, by adminhelping these things! Even small things, like unacceptable records, flavour text, character design, etcetera! There is little to come from scoffing and not doing anything about it.

I will gloss over the death statistics, there shouldn't really be anything surprising there. More players, coupled with mixed secret, ended with a higher death toll this year than last year. Average deaths per day also rose accordingly. The person who died most last year, at 182 logged deaths, was Printer16. This year the title is held by Superiorform, at 255 deaths. It should also be noted that falling deaths and injuries weren't immediately logged with the new map, so there are certainly more of them than is indicated.

The player count statistics are worth paying heed to, however. Our average player count over the course of the year rose by an entire 10 points, going from 29 to 40. The average from 2015 was 36. So, as it stands, this is the highest amount of regular traffic and the largest regular player base the server has yet seen. And it has shown in the issues which have arisen. The amount of unique ckeys visited also rose by 4 000. Granted, there are bound to be dupes and whatever else there; but even with those discounted, it's still a large difference. The most chaotic time as a result of this rise was during the summer, needless to say. As a tangential note, with the feedback form responses originating from the end of the summer, this would explain the number of disgruntled responses. It is my hope that we have slowly recovered from that, and managed to resolve some of those qualms. If not, please talk to our staff!

Administrative statistics show a rise in the amount of punitive action taken. Minus on the permabans issued. Though not all of these rises are in proportion to each other, with the amount of notes and warnings issued rising roughly two-fold, where as the amount of bans and permabans issued barely changed. In one part, this is most likely because, with the higher trough-put of players, you get someone doing something silly, you warn and note them, and they either learn, or no longer show up. Or perhaps they learned.

The final note from me, regarding statistics, is about the species statistics. Unfortunately the IPCs are no longer the most popular non-human species. Predictably, it is the Tajarans. Though the IPCs are close behind, I suppose.

That about wraps up my review and opinions on 2017. Feel free to discuss and post your own thoughts and views as replies!

Although I've only played SS13 within 2017 I've had an absolute blast with this community and hope for many more fun nights. Thanks to all the staff and players for helping me learn the game and keep me coming back every spare hour I have. To another good year.

• 2 weeks later...