Eridani Federation Week

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I'm very disappointed with how this turned out.

I'm told by the administration staff that any events in regards to this entire week were not in the slightest bit related to the core theme of this week, and that they weren't told to run any events with a core focus on the ECF in broad terms. I had positive expectations to come of this event and the only three events that anyone could recant had nothing to do with Eridani whatsoever. Was there ever a plan to involve them and the ganger population in some sort of significant limelight this week? I'm really not happy with the turnout here.

One of the events had to do with the ALA treating some suitcase like a hot potato.

Another event was where a changeling infiltrated the station to kill and adopt the persona of a Skrell ambassador.

And that's it. Neither of these had much to do with or even centered around the Eridani Corporate Federation fellows that replaced the security force. They (as in the Eridani security dudes) get really mundane objectives as it stands (they get 3 objectives that amount to 'push people around' and one other that says 'do nothing but act in the stead of security') and I'm fully aware that I don't have the full story yet and that maybe I shouldn't be judging because the lore team has something cooked up based on how the week's theme concludes this week, but I'm genuinely disappointed that there were no events centered around this theme as I assumed was going to happen.

In fact, there wasn't really any tracking of these so-called fax objectives at all. So there's nothing about data collection here. It seems like, honestly, the efforts of the HSC+EPS are effectively meaningless because they have no stats that carry over for later analysis at the end of this event?

unknown.png.

It also wasn't made clear ahead of time by the lore developers to establish that if you were from Eridani, you had to abide by the actual demographics and represent your character by the native population. 80% of contractors were white dudes.

It's kind of a lot of build-up but then any idea of escalating it to some sort of event actually relevant to the week's theme just doesn't get entertained at all. This isn't really what I expected out of a canon event this week fixed around one of my more favorite factions in the game setting, the otherwise rather lacking of attention to what should've been a core focus this week makes it seem like a lot of this was inconsequential.

I speak a bit harshly because this was something I cared about. There were a lot of mistakes repeated from the antag contest and from what I'm told, the time tables were planned poorly (as this is apparently exam week for a lot of people) and not a lot of inter-staff communication went on about this.

This. I've worked hard to craft an Eridani character before this event, and I kinda just saw the entire nation get shat on by Eridani PMC players who were all white, unprofessional, etc etc. People should've bothered to read the lore, but it wasn't enforced and so we just got a lot of people that didn't seem Eridanian at all. Lore team really dropped the ball here, it could have been LIT but instead it was not-lit.

A lot could have been done here but instead what we got was name generator White Security Contractors who would be ahelped and respawn as name generated brown-ish Security Contractors. I was also informed that staff were given no guidelines for these characters to follow, and that it was entirely up to the handling staff to tell them about what was and wasn't acceptable. No control, no purpose. Why even have this last a week? What was the purpose of this event if not to showcase Eridani. I didn't see Eridani, I saw poor planning and poor execution. I hold both staff and the appropriate loreDevs accountable as neither seemed to concern themselves with what was going on. Perhaps this is all incorrect, but what I saw is what I saw, and it is almost insulting that so little care seemed to be put into a week-long event.

Yeah, I had to ahelp to ask if I was still allowed to make SOs the Interim HoS, or if I had to purely use the Eridani Sec to Interim HSC - Whatever, Nursie responded, took a few minutes to ask Jackboot, and I was told I need to give Eridani Sec precedence, which is fine - I got my answer.

But why is there unspoken policy surrounding the event that you need to ahelp to find out?

In fact, there wasn't really any tracking of these so-called fax objectives at all. So there's nothing about data collection here. It seems like, honestly, the efforts of the HSC+EPS are effectively meaningless because they have no stats that carry over for later analysis at the end of this event?

unknown.png.

It also wasn't made clear ahead of time by the lore developers to establish that if you were from Eridani, you had to abide by the actual demographics and represent your character by the native population. 80% of contractors were white dudes.

I'm going to poke my nose in on this front.

Gathering arbitrary data about the success of objectives was not the goal of this event. We found this out over the 2 - 3 antag contests that we ran that such arbitrary gather of information does not lead to the best decisions or outcomes. The faxes were there as roleplay prompts. Literally that.

Anywhosers. In general, I concur that more planning could have been done on the actual event side of things. Same for public and staff information. Though I will say: none of the staff really knew what to expect. The event was reviewed and authorized by all involved departments. Head Admins told me it was fine. CCIAA told me it was fine. None of us just knew what kind of shenanigans to expect from the playerbase. (Turns out: we can't really trust people to read the lore based on an announcement thread.)

At present, all staff are compiling an internal SOP/checklist for future events like this, based on what was observed and experienced during this. So future events of this nature, and perhaps of related nature, would be executed better.

Gathering arbitrary data about the success of objectives was not the goal of this event. We found this out over the 2 - 3 antag contests that we ran that such arbitrary gather of information does not lead to the best decisions or outcomes. The faxes were there as roleplay prompts. Literally that.

The problem with that statement is that it doesn't recognize that the issue with the antagonist contest stemmed from it stretching needlessly for over a month, to the point where a good deal of people felt it was tedious. It didn't stem from the issue of it being centered around data-collecting.

I hope the other ideas such as implementing the extra Eridani Private Security slot in place of a security officer slot will be considered, just to make up for it.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello,

https://goo.gl/forms/T77Aso3blC7Jpj403

Please consider taking the time to fill out this survey on the event. At the end of tomorrow I will create a new general discussion thread breaking down the responses and providing a general debrief as well as the resulting new plans of action we have for future events.

I hope the other ideas such as implementing the extra Eridani Private Security slot in place of a security officer slot will be considered, just to make up for it.

That's not really how this works. We will "make up for this" by being better prepared next time. Trading like this is not a good way to manage anything past a personal relationship.

The trouble with an Eridani PSec would be that, if implemented in a meaningful fashion, where they get to hold their own, they'd start causing issues in the chain of command and for CCIAA in terms of how to manage the IRs that get submitted over them. On the other hand, if implemented in a fashion that they're functionally equivalent to security officers, then you'd have to explain what they even add. You could just play a security officer who's subcontracted from Eridani and call it a day.

We've considered implementing small, sub-departments as outside contracts. That level of separation would be more easily managed, as opposed to splitting an existing department.