Eridani Federation Week

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello everyone.

Today, or at least within the next 12 hours, we are going to be launching an update that starts a new meta-event. IC details that foreshadowed this can be found here. NanoTrasen has signed a contract with the Eridani Corporate Federation to provide security in its stations and facilities within Tau Ceti for the duration of the week until NanoTrasen can restaff the positions and handle staff shortages.

For the rest of this week, until May 6th, the station's Head of Security slot is being removed, and 2 security officer slots are being removed. They are being replaced by two new roles: Head Security Chief, and Eridani Private Security. Eridani is a corporate cyberpunk dystopia controlled by five mega-corporations with its entire population divided between the fake, ever-smiling Suits and the proud, leather-clad tough guys just trying to get by.

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Eridani_Federation#General

These new jobs are not going to be staffed by NanoTrasen employees. To play these roles, you will have to create new characters. (dont delete the olds ones) If you've always played Joe Burbum, Security Officer, you cannot play them as a security contractor'

Every round the Head Security Chief will be automatically sent a fax that provides an objective to accomplish for that round. Even on extended they will recieve missions that they have to accomplish by a variety of means. Some of these missions are confrontational, while others are mini-events for the station to play with.

Eridani security contractors are covered under regulations and are enforcing standard regulations, but their primary goal and loyalty is to acquire funds and ensure their objectives are met. They are in the same place as the Head of Security and other Security officers in terms of the chain of command.

There are more lore events planned to take place during this arc this week. They are of particular interest to Vaurca and IPC players, or anyone with an interest in the development for these two. Observant players present during the skittering of some particularly curious creatures should have an idea of what may be coming. ;)

Eridani Security Chiefs can be any command whitelisted race for HoS, but please strongly consider following the aesthetic of the system and playing an eridani human.

FAQ

• Eridani Security Chiefs can be any command whitelisted race for HoS, AND C'thur Vaurca are the ONLY Hive that can play in this role for the limited time it will be available. Otherwise please strongly consider playing a human themed around Eridani.
  • Chiefs should be Suits, and Contractors can be Suits or Gangers.
  • You can still make IR's against Eridani characters if you really want to, but please bear in mind the 2 facts that 1) theyre only going to be here a week and 2) Eridani is the biggest rule lawyer in our canonical universe.
  • Eridani characters are not antags unless they roll it. They are station crew, but like the Frost occupation their presence and objectives can clash with the station
  • Eridani chars have to follow and enforce regulations because that's what they were hired to do. They will enforce NTCC commands unless it specifically clashes anything the Board tells them.
  • Eridani Federation Chiefs are LI'd to members of the Board of Five, the corporate government of the EF.
  • Chiefs and private sec are legally identical to their nt counterparts for the sake of not being dense, but should show preference for each other.
  • This event specifically only creates security jobs, but if you want to start making Eridani characters that are contracted to work on the station in other roles, go nuts as long as you follow all other rules.

Eridanis standard language is Sol Common, with Tradeband and Ceti Basic being secondary languages.

I mean it might be fun if they use Sol Common pretty much all of the time. So when you hear two Private Security Officers talk they are speaking in Sol Common probably.

Isn't it a bit odd and far fetched that a powerful megacorporation such as Nanotrasen would sign a contract for Eridani private security when they already have their own sizable private security subsidiary companies that are far more likely to uphold the company's interests? Not that I do not enjoy the idea of fresh content and events, or anything.

Isn't it a bit odd and far fetched that a powerful megacorporation such as Nanotrasen would sign a contract for Eridani private security when they already have their own sizable private security subsidiary companies that are far more likely to uphold the company's interests? Not that I do not enjoy the idea of fresh content and events, or anything.

I think you are missing the point so I'll put it in other words.

HOLY SHIT, NANOTRASEN SECURITY GOT ARRESTED ON THE FUCKLOAD FOR SYNDICATE TIES??! HOLY SHIT, NO ONE LIKES THE NEW DYSTOPIA POLICE FORCE!

When it gets out that NT had its own employees part of the Syndicate criminal organization, the only thing they could do is clean house and get new contractors in that are equally notorious for doing an excellent job of keeping a location secure.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

How is the event going so far? There are some people wanting us to extend this to two weeks, which would have this event last until the 13th. It's very early into it to say this, but if it's that universally loved? There is another suggestion, to permanently attach an Eridani private security slot to ISD. This would remove one slot from the ISD if we want to keep sec pop the same.

How is the event going so far? There are some people wanting us to extend this to two weeks, which would have this event last until the 13th. It's very early into it to say this, but if it's that universally loved? There is another suggestion, to permanently attach an Eridani private security slot to ISD. This would remove one slot from the ISD if we want to keep sec pop the same.

I'd be against both of those personally. The event hasn't really changed much, except the quality of security is even lower than it was before.

I do not really care if it is extended one more week, because this event is pretty much just having the same security officer and hos slot renamed and with a different background, so I do not really see any other effect coming out of it. However, I am against keeping an eridani contractor slot, because it adds nothing if it is just another security officer, if people want to keep playing the eridani character, they can do so as a security officer.

From the impression I've gathered as secborg during this event is that the Head Security Chief and their EPS accomplices are literally just sec but with a predisposition for Sol Common in security comms and monetary objectives that really offers zero additional interactions with the rest of station personnel.

In my opinion extending it another week is unnecessary; sure, the Eridani enjoys the department-specific objectives, but it is not as if the event affects the entire station - the changes very rarely extends beyond the interactions between HSC and EPS. To me, it's just Sol Common over security channels and NT security personnel complaining that it's not Basic.

Just my two electronic cents.

I'm very disappointed with how this turned out.

I'm told by the administration staff that any events in regards to this entire week were not in the slightest bit related to the core theme of this week, and that they weren't told to run any events with a core focus on the ECF in broad terms. I had positive expectations to come of this event and the only three events that anyone could recant had nothing to do with Eridani whatsoever. Was there ever a plan to involve them and the ganger population in some sort of significant limelight this week? I'm really not happy with the turnout here.

One of the events had to do with the ALA treating some suitcase like a hot potato.

Another event was where a changeling infiltrated the station to kill and adopt the persona of a Skrell ambassador.

And that's it. Neither of these had much to do with or even centered around the Eridani Corporate Federation fellows that replaced the security force. They (as in the Eridani security dudes) get really mundane objectives as it stands (they get 3 objectives that amount to 'push people around' and one other that says 'do nothing but act in the stead of security') and I'm fully aware that I don't have the full story yet and that maybe I shouldn't be judging because the lore team has something cooked up based on how the week's theme concludes this week, but I'm genuinely disappointed that there were no events centered around this theme as I assumed was going to happen.

In fact, there wasn't really any tracking of these so-called fax objectives at all. So there's nothing about data collection here. It seems like, honestly, the efforts of the HSC+EPS are effectively meaningless because they have no stats that carry over for later analysis at the end of this event?

unknown.png.

It also wasn't made clear ahead of time by the lore developers to establish that if you were from Eridani, you had to abide by the actual demographics and represent your character by the native population. 80% of contractors were white dudes.

It's kind of a lot of build-up but then any idea of escalating it to some sort of event actually relevant to the week's theme just doesn't get entertained at all. This isn't really what I expected out of a canon event this week fixed around one of my more favorite factions in the game setting, the otherwise rather lacking of attention to what should've been a core focus this week makes it seem like a lot of this was inconsequential.

I speak a bit harshly because this was something I cared about. There were a lot of mistakes repeated from the antag contest and from what I'm told, the time tables were planned poorly (as this is apparently exam week for a lot of people) and not a lot of inter-staff communication went on about this.