Rule Revision

The admin/mod team reworked the rules in the past few months.

You can read them here.

We want feedback from the community.

Do you have any questions? Any concerns? Any comments? Want to see a rule changed?

Thread will be up for two weeks for you to comment, afterwards, if there are no objections, we'll use the new rules on the server.

Characters must be named following a Firstname Lastname model (e.g. "John Smith"). No honorifics, nicknames or middle names (with exceptions for compound names such as Van/Von/Bin X). Think of your in-game name as the name printed on your work ID. Avoid reference/famous/joke names, please. Exceptions are made to alien races with alternate naming mechanics, such as the Diona or IPCs.

Just a technical nitpick here: Might want to include Vaurca in the list of alien races with alternate naming mechanics.

I enjoy the rules that says "[LINK GOES HERE, too lazy to search atm.]" and "[LINK DEA’S FT GUIDE HERE]."

But those aside, I also have a few worries.

"No suiciding to leave the round (ghost or use cryogenic storage)"

I don't like the rule advising people to ghost. It should just suggest to use cryo, because if people ghost in hard to reach areas, they're just going to take up spots that others can use to join the game.

Beside that, everything else feels and seems solid, baring spelling and grammar mistakes that Id be nitpicky to bring up.

"...(such as "She is a 7'4'' amazon with rainbow hair, color-changing eyes and sexy buttcheeks")"

Oxford comma. That is all.

On the real, it all looks fine to me (for what that's worth). I saw a few differences I remember from going over the rules that I liked, and overall is really solid in supplying an enforceable guideline.

Chucklefucking = To break the atmosphere of the game with your ingame actions, for no valid reason. While we understand that SS13 isn’t meant to be super serious, our server is about establishing a certain atmosphere, and setting out to ruin that atmosphere, or the experience of other players in that atmosphere, is punishable. Note that this may also be considered a softer form of grief.

Can someone give me an example of this? I've never heard the term before and don't fully understand the explaination.

or, if very critical, you can use OOC text in IC by separating it with double brackets, like this: ((OOC remark in IC chat)).

I hope this means people will be poked for going "((haha meme xddd)" in IC.

@bedshaped Greytiding or minimally harmful grief of any sort. Radio spamming, meming, hitting windows with paper labelled as "energy sword" as well as other people repeatedly, repeated banana slipping, anything that'll make someone incredibly salty or upset they're getting punked on by a more robust party.

Basically it's what happens when the staff decide they should be dealing with issues that security itself already exists to deal with.

Or just remove it and enforce the griefing rule more proactively. Roleplay issues can be dealt with retroactively, as it's very rare that RP issues will cause a round to be literally unplayable for more than half of a server's population.

Well I hope then that it's changed to "extreme chucklefucking". Because if admins are going to police breaking IC corporate regulations to that degree there's no point in having security be anything more than validhunters.

That won't happen. That would kill RP.

"Hey, he should be in the cell for 3 minutes, not 4, sorry, have to give you a warning."

EDIT: Spelling mistakes, etc will be fixed.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I have to agree with the ghosting point. I think we should heavily encourage cryoing but maybe don't punish people for ghosting unless they do it repeatedly. Sometimes we gotta go quickly.

I do want to see a rule on cryoing with full departmental gear, especially heads of staff. It's frustrating when you join and all your basic supplies were eaten by cryo because the former player was inconsiderate.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
Well I hope then that it's changed to "extreme chucklefucking". Because if admins are going to police breaking IC corporate regulations to that degree there's no point in having security be anything more than validhunters.

That won't happen. That would kill RP.

"Hey, he should be in the cell for 3 minutes, not 4, sorry, have to give you a warning."

EDIT: Spelling mistakes, etc will be fixed.

There is a difference between giving someone an extra minute and intentionally pulling an antag to open all their wounds and killing them, or breaking regulations to stun/shoot someone, all with the mindset of "antags don't deserve to live/be treated fairly". The moment an officer can say "im stressed" all the expectations we place on them in terms of their training and professionalism fly out hte window. Security has no proactive limitations to abuse because when they are given a free card to abuse, the IC methods are neutered.

ERP, also known as Erotic RolePlay, is not allowed on the server. While displays of romantic affection and romantic scenes are acceptable, scenes of a clearly sexual intent will be broken up. (Again, use common sense for this. Sexual tension up to a point is acceptable - sexual acts in themselves are not.)

Mine eyes have never beheld a greater tragedy. One day, my people will be set free.

No insane or psychotic characters.

One of my characters has, possibly, PTSD of an event that happened in her backstory, and is quite paranoid and twitchy. I'd consider her crazy, but no one has ever boinked me about Asterisk, as when she is on station, she /does/ her job.. Albeit at the first sign of trouble she'll start barricading doors, building weapons, or hiding somewhere.

Does this rule mean no *pathic characters? A tweaked out janitor can still janitor, but isn't running around murdering everyone.

No insane or psychotic characters.

One of my characters has, possibly, PTSD of an event that happened in her backstory, and is quite paranoid and twitchy. I'd consider her crazy, but no one has ever boinked me about Asterisk, as when she is on station, she /does/ her job.. Albeit at the first sign of trouble she'll start barricading doors, building weapons, or hiding somewhere.

Does this rule mean no *pathic characters? A tweaked out janitor can still janitor, but isn't running around murdering everyone.

Yes, what Delta said is correct.

The vote influencing rule is archaic, it's never benefited the server, and people will in the end, vote for what they want. If it's to stop spam, I don't think people will really mind seeing NUKE in OOC for like, the 60 seconds the vote occupies.

The vote influencing rule is archaic, it's never benefited the server, and people will in the end, vote for what they want. If it's to stop spam, I don't think people will really mind seeing NUKE in OOC for like, the 60 seconds the vote occupies.

I've found that rule to be slightly odd. I mean, we had it on old code when we weren't even able to speak during votes so it was kind of irrelevant unless it was forced before and after votes.

I wouldn't mind being able to ask for a certain round type with a reasoning why you want it and maybe you have an idea for that round. Spamming "NUKE" would be annoying but if people have ideas for certain round types, it may help with having gamemodes that we don't usually have. Still would be fine with having the staff tell people to stop spamming in OOC if there is just people in all caps typing the round type that they want.