Regarding Bluesec (Feedback/Opinions)

<t>Do you want blue security uniforms implemented to replace the current red security uniforms?</t>  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Long story short, for those of you who haven't been around long enough, Aurora used to have a custom set of blue sprites for everything security. Effectively changing redsec to bluesec. The only remnants was the channel colour, really. This geddup has not yet been ported.

However, following my vacation this week, I'll be looking into bringing them back. Thus, I'd like to see if anyone has any outstanding issues with this (the old ones, which have been overruled already with the initial introduction of bluesec a year ago, not withstanding).

What I'd also like to see is if there are any opinions on what sprites should be changed/redone. I know that our set wasn't completed until the very last few months, with sec borgs and RIGs being red even after a long pause. This will obviously be rectified from the getgo this time around. Was there anything else we missed?

Also, what to do with command? With bluesec, command was blue with light blue highlights, while security had golden highlights. But I think this is far from an idea solution. As such, what other options would there be on how to make command more easily stand out?

Images of bluesec in action:

275a8443cf.png

d034cfb2915e5be106d1a83b1a3c9125.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second screenshot. That's meeeeeeeeeeeee.

And yeah. How about no. Red has style. Red has grace. Red makes you have a nice face. Red is badass. Blue is generic and boring. Blue clothing 'mixes' and 'blends' itself with other dark things, like floor or snowflake custom loadout clothes. Can we just stay red.

I love bluesec, and in my opinion, bluesec and redsec actually do make a very important distinction, beside what people think and feel are pretty. Look at the colour red, what you think? Hot, vibrant, active. Blue on the other hand is calm, cool. There have several studies looking into what different team colours do to gamers. Red teams, no matter the player, have more aggressive strategies, and they tend to think they're stronger based solely on their colour, so they try to overwhelm the enemy. On the other hand, in team based games where people play blue, they think more, and shoot less, tending to beat the enemy slowly but surely. I think I noticed security be calmed and more controlled when we switched to bluesec, thanks to this effect that colours have on gamers, and I think a calmer, more controlled security is what want. Plus bluesec looks better than redsec, so yes.

I personally like the look of bluesec. I agree with LordFowl in saying the sprites seem higher quality. In regards to the connotations of the colors, since I guess that's an established thing? http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html Yes, colors influence how we perceive things, that's science. What I think is a fair thing to bring up is just how much that perception matters, in which I honestly don't know, all I know is it does on some level.

as well as not being some campy little psychology "oh blue is more passive" thing.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11747-010-0245-y I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but there's legitimate studies on this, Chaz. It's common ground for people who are experienced in marketing.

Blue is the color of the sky and sea. It is often associated with depth and stability. It symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven.

-http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html

Red is the color of fire and blood, so it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love.

-http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html

I'd rather be associated with blue's trust, loyalty, and stability than red's war, danger, and strength. American police have been using blue tinted uniforms for many years and I think a security force aboard a station in which people are expected to do their jobs that they make a living off of and likely devote their life to should be using a more cool color pallet opposed to what security's primary color is now, which is arguably blood red.

I actually kind of like the sound of blue on a light coloured silver. NSS Aesthetics. That aside, that's only if we need to change command. People not being able to tell the difference between command and security was the, stupid, reason people used to try and stop bluesec, which never actually happened when we started using bluesex sprites.

I think blue is objectively the superior option and I'm not going to explain why for the umpteenth time, because this is exactly the same overblown debacle we had the last time bluesec was implemented.

The uniform sprites for bluesec are far nicer looking, it replaces get rid of the god-awful jumpsuits, and the blah-de-blah about color psychology, "red being more aggressive" that's already been stated in this thread.

Guest Complete Garbage
I think blue is objectively the superior option and I'm not going to explain why for the umpteenth time, because this is exactly the same overblown debacle we had the last time bluesec was implemented.

The uniform sprites for bluesec are far nicer looking, it replaces get rid of the god-awful jumpsuits, and the blah-de-blah about color psychology, "red being more aggressive" that's already been stated in this thread.

This. Bluesec for president 2k16.

The blue security sprites are effectively superior, but it is not due to coloration.

It is due to quality. Allow me to explain, as I've gotten into spriting a fair deal. I will show off something I did for fun, it is sadly rather wide so it's not suitable for SS13.

4dc23ad7191643aa97670fdb504de6f8.png

Due to the amount of pixels I used, I was effectively able to put sufficient enough detail into what I refer to as a multi-resonator. Basically a revolver that fires energized vibroprojectiles. Look how pretty and eye-catching it is! It's aesthetically pleasing to me, personally, if I might stroke my own chicken for a second.

http://prntscr.com/c69fy4

http://prntscr.com/c69k7a

Comparing the two, the latter makes officers look horridly fat. Not to mention that there's so much black, I can't tell if this is a security commander or an attempt at emulating the appearance of the Columbine mass murderers. Or the guy from Hatred. There's also a horrid amount of pixel space that is black, or a shade down from that, or another shade down from that. I lied, it's all the same black. Even more ew.

Sure, black doesn't clash with black, but it literally clashes with everything else that isn't a dark and "cool" type of color. Red, for instance, is terrible with black unless you're intending to make a grimdark icon to start with. It's boring. A travesty. And pretty boring in terms of intrinsic aesthetic design. Zzz.

The former fits the more vibrant nature of SS13 graphics, even if it only has a few colors, that being blue, white and yellow. But they go along so well and they're very nice to look at. The latter really does not blend too well. If, at all. That is.

(the tall police hat that covers the eyes is real cute btw)

Edited by Guest