Medical Reform - New Guidelines, Qualifications, and Minimum Ages

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

An initial task to clarify medical roles and the horde of alternate titles turned into me hammering out a comprehensive reform. This was possible with the help of nursiekitty, incognitojesus, Chada1, Cake, and others who were essential in making sure this would make sense. The goal here is to strike a balance between realism (what is true of IRL medicine) and game flow. There are so many regional differences and technicalities in medicine around the world that we had to make some choices based on what would work best for Aurora. For example, there was a lot of fierce disagreements on what exactly an emergency physician is, whether EMT's should know how to use a syringe, and whether the minimum age for a doctor should be 28 or 33.

New Qualifications

Medical Resident (25)

The minimum educational requirements of any medical field.

-

Emergency Medical Technician (20)

EMT Certification (2 years)

Paramedic (24)

EMT Certification (2 years) Paramedic Certification (2 years)

-

Nurse (25)

Bachelors in Nursing + 2 years of residency.

Emergency Physician (30)

M.D. in Emergency Medicine +1 year of residency.

Medical Doctor (30)

M.D. +2 years of residency.

Surgeon (30)

M.D. +2 years of residency.

Virologist (30)

M.D. OR Ph.D. +2 years of residency and/or 4 years of work in related RnD.

-

Chief Medical Officer (35)

wide hips, beautiful smile, blue hair in a floor length braid + 1 week of a creative writing workshop

M.D., Bachelors in Management, 5 years of medical experience.

The Expectations: Do's and Don'ts

These are as tl;dr as physically possible for the sake of the thread not being massive.

For clarification, "standard medkits" does not include surgery, combat, or any other snowflake medkit that doesn't spawn in medical

All Medical Staff

All medical staff should know how to use anything out of any of the standard medkits and how to print out scans on the advanced scanner. All ESSENTIAL (the ones with access) medical staff CAN know how to clone with the exception of nurses.

Medical Resident

A basic grasp of whatever they are in residency for, and that's it. Their lack of access allows them to have the knowledge of how to do any of the roles but reinforce the fact that as residents they NEED a supervising, relevant medical staffer to let them in and out and to oversee their progress.

-

Emergency Medical Technician / Paramedic

EMT is young, can stabilize, but does NOT know how to use sleepers properly.

Paramedic is older, can stabilize/offer general treatment in sleeper beds. Both are the ONLY ones that can use the hardsuit in their paramedic storage storage.

NEVER clone, do surgery, or chemistry.

-

Nurse

They can use sleepers, cryotubes and general medical equipment but they can't just use them to treat a patient by themselves. They assist doctors and do paperwork.

Nurses are here to keep records updated and being a helpful assistant for medical staff. Nurses are the ones you call to help you with the IV, or to print out a scan for you, or to run and get you those pills you need.

NEVER do surgery, chemistry, virology, or cloning themselves, but they can assist in these roles.

Emergency Physician

Expected to stabilize patients brought in. They can sets bones if there is a lack of surgeons but CANNOT do more advanced surgery on organs. (This makes it easy to remember: "I can treat bones, but not organs") They treat patients first brought in but should be handing off patients to the relevant staff once they're situated. If there is a shortage of medical doctors they can act like MD-lite, including cloning people, but they cannot do chemistry or advanced surgery.

Medical Doctor

Expected to do all the general treatments and scheduled exams. They should NOT be performing the jobs of specialized roles if there is staff for those jobs already. They chose to be M.D., not surgeons or chemists. They are a jack-of-all-trades.

Surgeon

The only ones other than the CMO that should be doing surgery in standard situations. They should NOT be taking in-patients unless they are needed. They are the ONLY ones (other than the CMO) that can do specialized surgeries. It is VERY unusual for surgeons to sidestep other medical staff to handle people in the ICU, and should get them slapped away.

NEVER do chemistry or virology. They can clone and treat post-cloning disorders if they're the only ones available to do so, if they know how.

Virologist

The usual virology stuff.

NEVER do chemistry, surgery, cloning, or general M.D. duties unless no other staff are available.

-

CMO

Can do literally anything, and must be 23.

The CMO should not be a super doctor. They are management and should be discouraged from doing anything that they have the staff available to do. That said, we should strike a balance between being a 'super doctor' and being a hands off supervisor. If there are no virologists, or no surgeons, or no chemists, the CMO should be allowed to fill in for empty roles. For a rule of thumb, they should always ask for help from an available staffer.

What Is "Specialized" Surgery?

These are the different types of surgeries the M.D.'s could know how to do.

Basic Surgeries: (Emergency Physicians, Medical Doctor, Surgeon)

-Bone repair

-Amputation

Advanced surgery: (Medical Doctor, Surgeon)

-Organs in the chest and lower body.

-Internal Bleeding

-Autopsy

-Hardsuit Removal

Specialized: (Surgeon)

-Brain surgery

-Eye surgery

-Facial Reconstrution

-Limb replacement

-Cavity surgery

-Organ removal/transplantation

-Necrotic Limb repair

-Extracting organs from detached body parts

Education Background Lengths (A guide to figuring out how long it takes you to get each degree)

Vocational Diploma (2 - 3 years) (an Associates for us Americans)

(You do NOT need an Vocational Diploma when getting a bachelors, so it not counted for minimum age)

Bachelors (3 - 4 years)

Masters (2 - 3 years)

Doctors (8 - 10 years)

What we are focusing on now is getting this information on the wiki and elaborated on. I am still undecided on what method would be the most appropriate and accessible (list all the alt-titles on the medical doctor page? A different page for each role? Who knows!)

Please provide your questions and feedback here.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I just want to clarify something: Paramedics have access to the cloning bay. Can they clone, if there are no other doctors around to do cloning?

No.

Emergency Medical Technician / Paramedic

EMT is young, can stabilize, but does NOT know how to use sleepers properly.

Paramedic is older, can stabilize/offer general treatment in sleeper beds. Both are the ONLY ones that can use the hardsuit in their paramedic storage storage.

NEVER clone, do surgery, or chemistry.

What about job-downgrading? Can a paramedic character clone people, if he usually works as a CMO/whatever? What about older MD's who usually work as surgeons, can they do surgery?

What about chemistry? Are chemists just medical doctors who took some chemistry classes on how to make tricord and also know the usual medical stuff? Or are they scientists who specialize in chemistry and know complex medicines? Chemistry in-character shouldn't really be dumb pushing buttons (just like research shouldn't).

Anyway, these "Do's and Don'ts" seem pretty unnecessary to me, since people were always free to, and did hop around jobs. Like officer-warden-detectives, surgeon-doctors, engineer-enginetech-atmostechs, QM-miners. So unless we entirely ban this job-hopping, nothing will really change. Remember Azande's literally-hitler-like restrictive suggestion? What about other departments, why are not they given restrictions like these? But those are just my observations.

Edited by Guest

As a nurse who regularly goes through rounds with little medical crew already and is already restricted from doing Cloning, Surgery, Chemistry and that stuff...

No thanks...

I'd also have to bump up the age by a year...

This just seems like... An uncalled for an unwanted change really?

Medical staff are limited enough. Sec staff can do whatever, Science likewise, Engineering likewsie, Cargo have nothing complicated to do...

This will cripple medical.

This just seems like... An uncalled for an unwanted change really?

Medical staff are limited enough. Sec staff can do whatever, Science likewise, Engineering likewsie, Cargo have nothing complicated to do...

I'm going to have to disagree here on a simple principle- you don't need to play as a nurse. You make that choice to play a role that is not going to be able to do much on their own. Roleplay and assisting roles exist.

Science is limited, and if roboticists are running around like fully fledged RDs they should be ahelped. Security officers that run around doing forensics should be ahelped. And medical staff should be ahelped for doing what takes even longer to study for than being a leading scientist with no training.

Anyway, these "Do's and Don'ts" seem pretty unnecessary to me, since people were always free to, and did hop around jobs. Like officer-warden-detectives, surgeon-doctors, engineer-enginetech-atmostechs, QM-miners. So unless we entirely ban this job-hopping, nothing will really change. Remember Azande's literally-hitler-like restrictive suggestion? What about other departments, why are not they given restrictions like these? But those are just my observations.

Other departments do need restrictions like these. Super-Scientists and god-engineers be damned.

These changes (at least in my mind) are here to preserve believably, the ability to create a specialized character, and to promote teamwork.

If I play a medical doctor and every nurse and resident from here to the frontier can do what I studied for eight years to do, then I'm not going to be playing a doctor. I'm going to be playing a citizen in a labcoat and scrubs who has some fancy toys.

If I play a surgeon and every medical doctor from here to the frontier can do what I studied for eight years to do, then I'm not going to be playing a surgeon. I'm going to be playing a medical doctor with a fancy title.

If I play an emergency physician and everyone goes directly over my head because 'lol just dump them in cryo', then I'm going to have even less to do than an IAA.

I'm happy that characters are being made to have believable restrictions and knowledge. I've always been annoyed of biomechanics doing exosuit construction in the blink of an eye, and of medical doctors doing complex surgeries while there's a full-time surgeon on.

I know everyone hates it when someone says "lol we're not heavy RP", but without reasonable character restrictions we're really not. Good roleplay isn't about things going smoothly, or a single person saving the day - it's about the restrictions they have, and how they react to them.

That's my two cents at least.

It's not really about a single person saving the day...

Most of this stuff isn't really a reform. The only thing that caught my eye was the nurse stuff since it'd be directly affecting my character.

You're right. No one is forcing me to play that character, that doesn't mean it needs scorching from the face of the earth. Or space station.

>Roleplay and assisting roles exist< Yes. Those are called apprentices/residents/lab assistants.

The nurse has literally no role. It's a resident with more access that it can't use. The only other role in the game like this is the gardener and chef. The gardener can live without the chef, the chef is a bit buggered without a gardener. A nurse is a chef, but with no functionality at all. It's an alt title for medical doctor.

If you want HRP then forcing people to grow and lose about 5 years from one shift to the next isn't really the way to do it...

What the flip have I spent the last 7 years of my life doing if I can't use a sleeper or shove someone in a cryopod... Do all nurses start off with prescription bottles of Alkysine too?

As for your point about reactions...

Amy spent half an hour screaming for help when she COULD use the medbay like she has trained to do. The psychiatrist is going to be fully booked constantly by nurses starmap-wide if this reform goes through.

EDIT: I wrote all this up just to reread and see that Nurses were more or less how I imagined in OP already. Do not post before morning coffee.

Original post is in the spoiler tag, but TL;DR Nurses should be able to do A, B, and C, and they sorta pretty much can. Unlike as proposed, I think Nurses should be capable of performing the technical cloning treatment, but not the mental health elements of the post-treatment.

In terms of Nurses (the alt-title from MD, not the Nursing Interns we have now) I would like to see them be able to perform sleeper, cryo and cloning treatments. While they are not correctly educated to perform complicated diagnoses like MDs are, a trained and certified nurse's purpose is generally to handle the bulk of the actual treating of patients. This is probably why they had their original access; they need to get to and use all the machines that they can touch in order to do their jobs.

To clarify the first sentence:

- Nurses should be able to operate the cloning scanner and pod, NOT treat patients for CMD. The machine is just a machine to be trained on, and is vital to keeping players in the round, but countering the aftereffects of cloning is something that is likely to fly over the nurse's neon-haired head. Keep players in the round as screwed up clones, but leave their RP rehabilitation to the CMO/Psych/qualified MD.

- Nurses should be able to operate cryogenic equipment and use it to stabilize people while they await diagnosis from a doctor. This is akin to emergency inpatient care while a thorough examination is prepared. It is also a common post-procedure treatment that is part of the cloning process.

- Nurses should be able to operate sleepers. Performing dialysis is something real nurses do, and the rest of what a sleeper does is administer medicine in precise amounts like a glorified syringe, which is also something a nurse would know how and when to do, provided they know why the patient is in the medbay.

We have a very high population this season, but carefully stratifying believably between alt-titles is going to hurt in the wintertime when no-one is playing. I agree with Jackboot when he says we want to strike a balance between realism and game flow. In this particular part of this particular case, I think it's nudged a bit too far over toward an attempt at realism.

DOUBLE EDIT COMBO:

If you want HRP then forcing people to grow and lose about 5 years from one shift to the next isn't really the way to do it...

For sake of this discussion, it may be a good idea to separate the intent of the changes from how they affect existing characters. Compelling you to change who you play in order to adhere to the employment qualifications or the "play believable characters" rule is not why these guidelines are being updated. We are trying to create a foundation of believability and agree on a set standards for the future, in a field where those standards can differ significantly around the world.

Edited by Guest

I like this

just wanna ask

are there ye olde "the exception reinforces the rule" ages for characters of different species (can be higher or lower for example for IPCs built for medicking) or who have been a Wunderkind

because this is afterall the Foremost first of it's kind research Vessel Aurora

We got the elite of the elite working here,as well as that one bald Assistant guy we hired for no discernable reason as he attempts to hack into command and is immediatly borged for murdering the captain with a welder and a toolbox

Whether intended to or not, this will have an impact on current characters. I'm looking at this from the point of view of someone who has an existing character, a nurse, which have been reduced to nursing interns with a bit more access that they can't use.No surgeries, No cloning, No virology. With the lack of a doctor present, the nurse should really not just have to stand by and ask for help. As a nurse, my character is, generally at the beck and call of the doctors. She'll run around for them doing really basic stuff and rarely actually gets to help when it comes to surgeries and the like.

Reflecting on past rounds, and how things would have gone, had this been the case.

I think pretty much everyone here knows about the shift in which I got two patients with organ damage and internal bleeding while the virologist sat downstairs having a little rave by himself. The other departments refused to offer even the slightest bit of help to medical and as a nurse with these current rules, this trained medical professional would have to sit there and watch as people died, unable to help, because she is slaved to someone with a slightly more flashier and bigger certificate.

That's hardly high RP, is it...?

And if you enforce this, then don't you have to enforce that no one but medical staff can use syringes and pills?

I think such a thing is a large foundation of what makes us heavy roleplay.

The most this change does is inform everyone who has a medical character to adjust their age if they are already not up to par in what needs to be UTD. To be up to standard, to say simply.

No surgeries, No cloning, No virology. With the lack of a doctor present, the nurse should really not just have to stand by and ask for help. As a nurse, my character is, generally at the beck and call of the doctors. She'll run around for them doing really basic stuff and rarely actually gets to help when it comes to surgeries and the like.

I'm not sure if it is pride that is stopping your character from asking for help, but that is mostly on you (your character) if you state you don't need help, since not asking makes people assume you're fine without it. Characters being limited to their responsibilities in my opinion is absolutely fine, that is practical and realistic-ish in the general relative sense of being in the year 2459. Weakness is an incredibly difficult thing to roleplay because most people are not comfortable doing so. While nurses absolutely have wider encompassing responsibilities, the most common duties they perform is often acting as a go-fer.

Amy was screaming over comms for help for over half an hour... There was no help. The CMO took about 5 minutes after coming out of cryo to show up and the

These kind of starting shifts are becoming becoming usual to me: https://gyazo.com/fdadd2fc00eec4e2c8317e6800c88ee9

When we do get other medical staff, I pray to god that they aren't entirely inept.

Perhaps this is a problem with my occupational choices but I do think the nurse should be somewhat able if need be...

Guest Marlon Phoenix
What about job-downgrading? Can a paramedic character clone people, if he usually works as a CMO/whatever? What about older MD's who usually work as surgeons, can they do surgery?

I don't know any CMO's that play paramedic. That is quite a waste of a doctorate, but I guess it can happen. The do's and don't's are standard operation - what you should and could know, and what you are supposed to be doing in standard situations. The same is for the second situation. Being an older character opens you up to more internal-departmental job specialization if you want. It would be up to the admins and CCIA to decide if you are being unreasonable with your character. At the very least these reforms make it very clear that your 56 year old paramedic should not be doing surgery if there is an actual surgeon on call, despite his skills at brain surgery.

What about chemistry? Are chemists just medical doctors who took some chemistry classes on how to make tricord and also know the usual medical stuff? Or are they scientists who specialize in chemistry and know complex medicines? Chemistry in-character shouldn't really be dumb pushing buttons (just like research shouldn't).

I did not touch chemists because the original focus was on the many alt-titles of medical doctor. Chemists shouldn't really be performing advanced or specialized treatments. They fall under 'all medical staff'. If there is a critical shortage of staff and a surplus of patients, they can run out and help with medkits and sleeper beds, if they are trained and know how.

I can only do one thing at a time! As I said, I tried to achieve a balance between realism and leniency. In real life, all of these roles are very specialized and tightly locked behind regulations and laws. That is why even without specialized staff medbay can function at a basic level. Yes, we are going to lose the ability of nurses performing surgeries, but I'm going to argue that the total freedom to job hop internally in medical was a result of a near total lack of enforcement of any clear guidelines. If the alt titles of medical doctor are just name fluff, why do we bother having them? These new guidelines give weight to each of the new roles, and have clear benefits and drawbacks and their place in the medical flow. A surgeon-nurse-virologist or a nurse-paramedic-CMO is sure fun for that individual player but it really deflates the department for everyone else, and is not at all realistic. I'm going to hope that admins aren't literally hitler in enforcing this, as you fear.

This will cripple medical.

No it won't. That's really dramatic.

There are many different types of nurses IRL but mechanically these differences would be a pain in the butt. So for Aurora (and without disrespecting IRL nurses) a nurse is an 'assistant' role. Not in the greytide manner - you are given all of the same access and doctors and you are trained and certified to do many medical operations. You are just unable to do the advanced or specialized treatments. You are meant to HELP doctors, not BE a doctor. The benefit of being a nurse is your wide level of access and helping medical flow well. The 'drawback' is that you have no true specialization. It will be completely fine for you to bring someone in, plop them in a scanner, treat their toxin damage, and send them back out. The only thing this is changing is that it is very inappropriate for you to do this without asking for a doctor or at least letting medical know you're going to do it if no doctor is available.

As a nurse who regularly goes through rounds with little medical crew already and is already restricted from doing Cloning, Surgery, Chemistry and that stuff...

I'm also going to repeat the argument made by Ornias. You chose to play Nurse. One of the most important aspects of high roleplay is roleplaying weakness. If anyone with access, can clone, do surgery, do chemistry, and treat anything that crawls into medical, why do we have alternate job titles? As an Emergency Physician I've adjusted my own character's qualifications and age to pre-emptively match these new guidelines and I've also had to face problems with an understaffed medic. Without a surgeon or CMO (or doctor able to do it) I've had to request help from the Research Department in getting alkysine to cure concussions and brain damage. I've had damaged lungs where I had to constantly keep someone hooked up to dexalin until we were able to get help. I've also had to mark someone as 'disabled' or 'physically unfit' and give them a wheelchair because no one in medical was able to help whatever advanced trauma they had. Is that, at the end of the day, a killer of roleplay? The patients who dealt with it more or less took it in stride.

[...] If you want HRP then forcing people to grow and lose about 5 years from one shift to the next isn't really the way to do it... [...] You're right. No one is forcing me to play that character, that doesn't mean it needs scorching from the face of the earth. Or space station.

It's a year. omg. say they had a birthday this week.

What the flip have I spent the last 7 years of my life doing if I can't use a sleeper or shove someone in a cryopod...

The guide says..... You can do those...... You just..... Shouldn't if a doctor is available...... You can still like, turn on a cryo tube for the doctor.... Or tell the doctor a patient is here..... Or make sure cryo is set up.... There is a lot you can do to help without doing it yourself.......................

As a nurse, my character is, generally at the beck and call of the doctors. She'll run around for them doing really basic stuff and rarely actually gets to help when it comes to surgeries and the like.

Then you are working as intended! Admittedly surgeries are a 1v1 affair but you can always try to get more involved. Wheel in the patient into the OR and ask if you can set up their anesthetics and hook up an IV? I've been asking "How can I help?" a lot and it has opened a lot of doors in interacting with other medical staff.

The nurse has literally no role. It's a resident with more access that it can't use.

Yes you can! You just can't use it to do everything yourself. Just ask on the medical channel, "What should I be doing right now?" or "Does anyone need help?" or "I need to help X patient because there is no doctor available" I have personally involved Amy Perwinkle as my Emergency Physician by asking her to do X Y or Z to help me do A B and C.

are there ye olde "the exception reinforces the rule" ages for characters of different species (can be higher or lower for example for IPCs built for medicking) or who have been a Wunderkind

All exceptions for races and ages apply.

https://gyazo.com/fdadd2fc00eec4e2c8317e6800c88ee9

This is indeed awful but I think you are mostly playing during deadhour like I have been due most days of the week due to our hours. There are only three real possibilities:

1) Make a new doctor character after reading the manifest and realizing how ass medical would be with this manifest.

2) Join anyway and deal with the pain-rp. Do your best and be liberal with wheelchairs and painkillers.

3) Arrest the CMO and force them to abdicate their title to you, and launch a new golden age of medical under empress perwinkle.

In science if it's understaffed then there is no access to whole chunks of the department, just gotta play with how the cards are dealt. Scientists are a lot like doctors in that they have the most access in their departments (with the exception of the Heads), nurses are like lab assistants in that they should follow the department hierarchy. They shouldn't have all access even if it does mean that everyone on the station could be kept alive by some Super Nurse. If you want to actually save people from extreme health conditions then be a simply be a doctor like Senpai Jackboot's 1st possibility.

Nurses shouldn't do more cloning and less post-cloning care, that's pretty much the exact opposite of what a nurse is. They are clinical carers not clonepod technicians. A nurse would do CPR, bandage wounds and give medications only as prescribed (only certain trained or senior nurses have the power to prescribe even in emergency situations), and provide most medical care assistance to patient recovery but they can't and shouldn't do surgery not even minor surgery. Surgery is most definitely a complicated subject and nurses would never be allowed to perform, nurses should just care for the patient until a surgeon comes along or the patient dies, like Jackboot's 2nd possibility, provide the patient beds, wheelchairs and painkillers, dress wounds etc. Palliative care is a major subject in nursing and would be advisable to read into if you want to RP a nurse instead of an actual doctor. Keep the patient comfortable and clean. Keep nurses out of cloning and surgery.

Nurses know how to wash their hands as well as keep the place clean and hygienic, not develop, isolate and mass-produce an antibody to stop a superbug. A normal doctor might, many historically have IRL. So if you want to be a carer be a nurse, if you want to be a curer be a doctor. I've got a lot of respect for nurses so don't get me wrong, they can actually be an integral part of the medical department while lab assistants will usually be the downfall of any good science department.

If there's no chemist, first place you should ask is also Science to see if there's any chemistry nerds. Scientists would have developed the medications and all the medtech in the first place, some may even be contracted by pharmaceutical companies like Zeng-Hu, and the main thing is they have their own ChemDispenser in the Materials lab! They have more "free time" on their hands since they're not caring for the constant influx of dead and dieing patients, and I'm sure the monkeys they were gonna torture would appreciate it. They also have a few different suppliers for phoron such as kois, miners and slimes for making the more complex medications. Even doctors should generally check with Science if there isn't a chemist, synthesizing the medication is far too time consuming and they're on the clock most of the time so radio or PDAM that requests over rather than pestering the AI or HoP to get chem access! A nurse making peridaxon while folks are critting in reception is actually the worst and the makings of a really bad nurse because they're not just neglecting their patients but also the rest of the crew on the station at their disposal.

Trust the nerd that brings the meds, if they mislabelled or fucked up anything it'll go back on them and not the nurse that dispensed them - pretty sure if a nurse told security that some nerd gave them a load of drugs and mutagen saying it was tricord and dexalin, that nerd would be harmbatoned all the way to solitary or at least point the rage of any poisoned survivors to science. Science and medicine should work together more.

If there is a dire need for a surgeon and nobody to supply peridaxon then a xenobiologist might be your second best bet especially if it's surgery on another species than human, give them a PDAM and see if they're up for performing it. Ok, maybe getting a xenobiologist is a bit of a stretch kinda like getting a veterinary to remove an appendix but they would have the more advanced knowledge of anatomy needed for surgery and a xenobiologist doesn't become a xenobiologist by just studying slimes and must have a sound understanding of the complex physiological systems that make up any organism. Just tell the patient that you're calling in a specialist, there'll be other patients to see to instead of wasting a nurse's time actually performing the surgery. They'll also have the time to open a wiki and grab a laser scalpel on the way from sub-research so they have an idea of how to do it.

Work on bedside mannerisms, chat to the patients when they're stabilized and find out what happened to them and not just what damage they sustained. The body scanner won't tell you who the patient is or what fucked up situation they found themselves in to end up on the roller bed will it?

Leave the god complexes to the doctors and scientists where it is pretty much a requirement*!

*or Jackboot's possibility 3 and take over as acting head but unfortunately time will never be on your side if you try and do everything, and generally if you're understaffed enough to take over then you won't have the staff to effectively delegate.

I read over the response to my comments. I'm fine with surgery/cloning/virology/chemistry being off limits, I asked that you don't put any more limits on Nurses, thinking that's what these guidelines were what you were trying to do, is all.

Thanks for the clarification.

[mention]Senpai Jackboot[/mention]

If a patient is outside of a character's experience range, i.e, a nurse is the only medical staff and someone is dying of internal bleeding - are they SAFE from being charged with neglect of duty for not trying to treat these severe injuries?

Basically, are characters that don't specialize in advanced treatment (chemist, nurse, paramedic, EMT) absolved of any guilt of malpractice if a patient dies because they're not overqualified enough to treat? I could see Security trying to press this.

Guest Complete Garbage

@Senpai Jackboot

If a patient is outside of a character's experience range, i.e, a nurse is the only medical staff and someone is dying of internal bleeding - are they SAFE from being charged with neglect of duty for not trying to treat these severe injuries?

Basically, are characters that don't specialize in advanced treatment (chemist, nurse, paramedic, EMT) absolved of any guilt of malpractice if a patient dies because they're not overqualified enough to treat? I could see Security trying to press this.

If doing something is literally not within the purview of your job, even if it could save a life, and especially if you don't even know how, then I seriously doubt anyone in their right minds would charge you for not doing it. Then again, security is hardly in their right minds, so...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Senpai Jackboot

If doing something is literally not within the purview of your job, even if it could save a life, and especially if you don't even know how, then I seriously doubt anyone in their right minds would charge you for not doing it. Then again, security is hardly in their right minds, so...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, it's happened IRL I'm sure. Could swing either way.

On paper: no, it's malpractice.

Whether it's sought after or not depends on the crew!

That's RP.