Repeal the Captain or No Captain Rule

Owen

Well, it'd help if someone responded with saying "Ay, you aren't getting this" or "Alright" so far it has just been silence except for being told, "It will make the position healthier" without making any points. Stuff like this should be put to a vote before we do it tbh because the majority of people who posted their thoughts were against it.

Agreed. Some explanation on why the staff feels this shift toward realism on the manifest is worthwhile might go a long way in helping move some of the opinions here. It has been mentioned here and elsewhere that this kind of change is in line with overall direction the staff has decided to take the server in. Some illustration of that direction in a public space is something we could use in this discussion.

Well, it'd help if someone responded with saying "Ay, you aren't getting this" or "Alright" so far it has just been silence except for being told, "It will make the position healthier" without making any points. Stuff like this should be put to a vote before we do it tbh because the majority of people who posted their thoughts were against it.

Our overlords have likely seen this and deemed it not worthy of their time.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

Our overlords have likely seen this and deemed it not worthy of their time.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

All hail the leaders.

dude jfc that link. no.

• 2 weeks later...

This was brought to our attention and the final verdict is the following:

- The nuke remains Captain and Captain only knowledge.

- You can play other heads of staff roles as Captain however you only know about the nuke as Captain, talking openly about it, barring emergencies, will get your whitelist removed.

I don't like this rule because it means I have to shelf my captain character when someone else is playing Captain, and I wanted him to be able to take a down shift from time to time to work as a Chef or train a different job, in character.

So, yeah, please get rid of this rule so I can go back to playing 3 or 4 characters instead of needing to play 5 or 6, with the 5th and 6th ones not being as well-developed characters.

I don't like this rule because it means I have to shelf my captain character when someone else is playing Captain, and I wanted him to be able to take a down shift from time to time to work as a Chef or train a different job, in character.

So, yeah, please get rid of this rule so I can go back to playing 3 or 4 characters instead of needing to play 5 or 6, with the 5th and 6th ones not being as well-developed characters.

I'm assuming you read the reply Shawdow posted. I think it's a good compromise that you can be a head of staff and a captain. I don't think its a good idea or makes sense that a captain can be a captain one shift, HoP the second, and Chef the third, then back to Captain.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming you read the reply Shawdow posted. I think it's a good compromise that you can be a head of staff and a captain. I don't think its a good idea or makes sense that a captain can be a captain one shift, HoP the second, and Chef the third, then back to Captain.

I did read the whole thread, yes, and appreciate the perspectives on this topic, but I still hold that the rule does little for improving our time on the server. I know of at least one player who routinely plays Captain and Chief Engineer on the same character and it has never caused a problem.

I think a much better rule would be that a character who is captain may not use captain-specific knowledge while playing a non-captain role, the same way that a scientist character who plays R&D, Toxins, and Chemist doesn't necessarily play as a pro-tier Chemist when playing the Toxins role, though it would stand to reason that the character *could*.

I view it like this: NT is a big corporation with many, many captains under its employ. Sometimes they work on the Exodus, sometimes they work elsewhere. People work where they are assigned and where positions are open and their skills are matching, even on a shift to shift basis. When a more available captain has the slot for the shift, but another captain still needs to work a shift, he can work under the other captain. The only strange part about this in my mind is the Aurora-only "rule" that the crew doesn't know that there's a nuke in the vault for RP reasons... a "rule" that is fun for RP reasons, but should not be prohibitive for character development and play as it currently is, since we can all easily squint (as we do with 100 other things) and say that a Captain character doesn't know about the nuke when he's a Chef, just as he doesn't remember how the Exodus was destroyed by Malf AI that "doesn't exist" 14 shifts in a row.

So, for consistency's sake (since consistency is the measure by which our whitelisted characters are being imo pointlessly neutered by this rule), characters should also know that a malfunctioning AI is a thing (and various other things we know but only when they happen), since we're saying that an antag story element (a loose nuke in the vault) is always known to the Captain, or, we say that both of those things are on a "known when important only" basis, and thus free up Captain characters to play any other role that fits with their skills and bio.

Ya know. For fun. It's already been stated that whitelists would be removed from characters who abuse this kind of knowledge, so the penalty is clear.

I did read the whole thread,

Are you sure?

- You can play other heads of staff roles as Captain however you only know about the nuke as Captain, talking openly about it, barring emergencies, will get your whitelist removed.

As far as I can see this addresses your complaints.

I did read the whole thread,

Are you sure?

As far as I can see this addresses your complaints.

Yep, I'm sure. Did YOU read MY posts, though? Since the example that I was giving was relating to a captain playing a NON HEAD ROLE, such as chef.

Before you drop those smarmy italics on somebody you really should read more carefully, especially if those italics are asking if they are sure they read the thread. ;)

Yep, I'm sure. Did YOU read MY posts, though? Since the example that I was giving was relating to a captain playing a NON HEAD ROLE, such as chef.
I could argue it wasn't all that clear regardless but I digress and you are right because I hate forums.

You actually do have a good point, I'm not sure if the exclusion in Shadow's ruling was an intentional decision or not, although personally I dislike the idea of Captains straying outside of the Head of Staff area entirely.

Honestly restricting it is fine in my eyes to a point.

I personally wouldn't want to see a captain player come on as a chef and take charge during Delta moments because they know about it.

In my eyes a captain should be allowed to play as not only captain, but also as a visitor, or any head role they're qualified for.

If you as a captain wish to play as a chef do it on non company time.

And from a pay perspective it would be a little weird seeing someone making bank as a captain to be a chef on Nanotrasen shift time.