Suggestion - A Psych Wing in Sub-Level & Better Psychiatry

I was thinking, someone should add a psychiatry wing in the sub level. It doesn't have to be too big, but it should at least contain 3 Isolation Wards, and 1 Sensory Deprivation Chamber,

The Isolation wards should just be like normal medical wards, but without sharp things, and the doors are lockable from the outside. These would likely be 2x3 or 3x3 tiles big. The sensory deprivation chamber is a little more complicated. On the other side of the chamber, there should be an obliteration room where you can hear and see what is going on inside using cameras and intercoms. The key is, you wouldn't be able to hear or see what was going on outside the chamber, if you were in the chamber. (Otherwise it wouldn't be sensory deprivation.) The key here is that there would not be any glass, and the room wold be 3x3 or 3x4 tiles big on the inside. The observation room would be 4x3 or 4x4. The wing would be right off of the virology wing, and would be protected by two secure doors.

The whole point of this is to give the psychiatrist more responsibility. I would also like to see the psychiatrist have more responsibility in general. I feel that Psychiatry is under-used, and would like to see it expanded upon. They should be called in during interrogations, to see if the suspect is capable of committing a crime if security feels it is needed, they should be called in whenever someone is in severe emotional distress, and other logical reasons psych would be needed. I would like to see Psych worked on a bit more, and that is why I am submitting this suggestion.

1. You are not expected to have multiple incredibly insane people. We have psychological examination as a requirement for employment.

2. We have an electropack, don't torture your damn patients PLEASE.

3. Security would just end up using these to contain lings and such.

A sensory deprivation chamber seems a bit much for a research station but I can get behind having psychs have more to do, bare in mind a Psychiatrist is still a medical doctor so can assist with general medical care. You don't have to banish yourself away.

I don't think "electroshock therapy" is the way to go though since - thought it's perfectly safe and absolutely fine contrary to movies - it treats very specific chronic disorders which wouldn't pop up in round. Perhaps some form of spess machine that induces pleasant thoughts in patients to calm them after a trauma. Which is standard issues to spess Psychiatrists in 2460 lore wise and OOC can be used in game to deal with cloned patients or general trauma like watching your friend get gibbed by the wizard.

As one of my two main characters is an MD psych, I can definitely appreciate more to do as a psych, and as medical staff, some actual use given to the wards in the sub-level.

That said, I have to echo the thoughts on the sensory deprivation chamber. It is a thing IRL and it would be amazing fun to be able to observe a patient from afar. That said, it wouldn't be fun as the patient.

When you give a player no options, no chance to RP, no places to explore, nothing to do, there is no reason for them to play. It's why I do not like the overuse of solitary in the brig, especially for HuT prisoners (it doesn't even have a toilet). And this is a law of imprisonment: solitary + straightjacket = SSD.

Now, a psych ward in the sublevel with child-proof fixtures and things to do might be a good idea, including a place to observe the patient remotely (e.g. in addition to a room with cameras and an intercom as suggested, perhaps an automatic holoprojector that a psych can step into from a secure room in the sublevel and/or his office. Not simply one requiring the patient to activate it like holocomms).

My point is that there has to be ways to engage with the patient, and perhaps ways said patient might be able to make a (risky) escape, should they be able to sneak an item or two in with them.

And perhaps this ward could be the place sec takes the "insane" people they would otherwise buckle to a bed in solitary with a straightjacket. That's simply no fun at all.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention my interest in a sleeper-style device that cures traumas. It was cruel to the psych position to introduce these mental-health-esqe traumas and make them only (permanently) curable via surgery. To quote a scholar: "C'mon man!"

Force the sleeper style machine to need to be loaded with citalopram, perhaps. Then the patient would need to be inside it for X seconds + Y% chance of cure after each additional second. Too much extra time in the machine could cause brain damage or OD symptoms (I know citalopram doesn't have an OD threshold, I am speaking generally). This would force the psych player to be attentive for an extended period while treating the patient.

And, electroshock therapy is an interesting idea and could make sense as a mechanic, but since it was all but scrapped in the 20th century, it would not make sense, I feel, in 2460. (That said, there has been significant refinement of the electroshock technique and it is used rarely but effectively today including a surgically-implanted device to treat certain disabling physical ailments and to less effect for certain severe MH cases. But it is unrecognizable to what you might think of as electroshock therapy from the mid 20th century.)

I also forgot to mention my interest in a sleeper-style device that cures traumas. It was cruel to the psych position to introduce these mental-health-esqe traumas and make them only (permanently) curable via surgery. To quote a scholar: "C'mon man!"

Force the sleeper style machine to need to be loaded with citalopram, perhaps. Then the patient would need to be inside it for X seconds + Y% chance of cure after each additional second. Too much extra time in the machine could cause brain damage or OD symptoms (I know citalopram doesn't have an OD threshold, I am speaking generally). This would force the psych player to be attentive for an extended period while treating the patient.

And, electroshock therapy is an interesting idea and could make sense as a mechanic, but since it was all but scrapped in the 20th century, it would not make sense, I feel, in 2460. (That said, there has been significant refinement of the electroshock technique and it is used rarely but effectively today including a surgically-implanted device to treat certain disabling physical ailments and to less effect for certain severe MH cases. But it is unrecognizable to what you might think of as electroshock therapy from the mid 20th century.)

Perhaps something in the style with electric pulses or something as rough as a sonic cannon in order to perform non-invasive surgery for brains?

Strap the patient to a chair and give them the non-invasive versions of surgery for brain damage, brain trauma, memory adjustment (and in the case of the antag) lowering someones intelligence. (as said in the brain surgery bit on the wiki.

Edit.

WIClP6p.jpg

• 2 months later...