Move Mining Upgrades to Science

What it says on the tin.

Since the dawn of time Science and Mining have been the Ying and Yang.

Science needed mining for minerals and Miners needed Science for their drill upgrades, this way scientist tried their best to outfit miners as it was in their interest for miners to be better equipped so they can bring back more minerals and for miners it was in their best interest to bring materials to science as they would get gear which would help them mine and survive.

Now what we have is mining being basically their own mini-station.

Their greed for points leads miners to smelting every piece of ore, even if it produces useless garbage like Plastic or Iron.

Drills? No point, KA is much faster and even if drills/pickaxes give overall more minerals from a single vein, the speed with which you use the KA far outweights the GPS (Gain Per Second).

Ripley? Nope, using a hardsuit is much more beneficial and faster. Most of the time the Ripley is only useful for the first 20 minutes before miners can get their hands on the KA.

Oh but we don' stop there, the KA has not only infinite ammo, massive range and fast fire. It can be upgraded to break rocks in an AoE radius, reload much faster and even have colored beams, yaaay!

Thus my suggestion is to simply move the upgrades to science, that is it.

I'll move the RIG press to robotics and make the KA harder to obtain, as well as giving the ripley a buff to make it more useful. This will all be done with an overall research update and should fix the issues outlined.

I think you'll have to touch up cargo tech too to handle that sort of thing. Miners should be spending 99% of their time outside the station, while cargo techs should be managing materials and all that other stuff. I think this would be a great addition and give cargo techs actually something to do other than sit around all day and explain how the cargo ordering system works.

If we're gonna shove everything mining into science, atleast give us a roundstart ripley in mining that we can fight over.

The suggestion has good intentions, but I feel that science wont bother with miners and their upgrades as they're more busy with R&D with the new system launching, and building guns n' shit. And y'know, not bother with 4 whining miners wanting X and Y on a constant basis.

If we're gonna shove everything mining into science, atleast give us a roundstart ripley in mining that we can fight over.

The suggestion has good intentions, but I feel that science wont bother with miners and their upgrades as they're more busy with R&D with the new system launching, and building guns n' shit. And y'know, not bother with 4 whining miners wanting X and Y on a constant basis.

science main here

can confirm we try to give items when they are requested

all miners gotta do is ask and fill the requisition

Their greed for points leads miners to smelting every piece of ore, even if it produces useless garbage like Plastic or Iron.

This is more an issue with points being defined for the output instead of the input - TG's doesn't have this issue, as science can come down and get useful shit.

When mining actually had to go talk to science for shit - they simply never got shit. that's just how it was. you'd be harder pressed to get a blue haired person convinced that there doesn't need to be 102941 legally identified genders.

"b-but p-pacman! y-you don't even play!1!" Yep. and we haven't had mining 100% reliant on science since exodus. and *even then*, you could still get by without them due to the "It's not a mech lol it's better" RIG suits..

The probable best way of doing this - is keep the medium tier shit in the vendor, eg: KPA with no upgrades, diamond pickaxe - things like that. which don't nullify the point of it altogether. and throw the REAL high end shit. like the 3*3 mining upgrade, and diamond drill in science. (The 3*3 upgrade is in science on tg, and it's split in two. fowl pls).

RIGs can be turned into a coathanger abortion and it'd still be better for the game. they're just power-trippy mechs without the disadvantages.

• 1 month later...

The point is that both departments are reliant on each other, it became even more obvious now as miners simply ignore science and mine for 2 hours and then deliver the materials on their wait to the shuttle that's departing in 2 minutes.

Besides you are right about the KPA, the main point is to make the shit that strip-mines the asteroid in minutes. Although I still think printable magboots would be nice.

The thing is, never once have I ever seen Science make something for mining unprompted.

Science could in theory just spit out industrial drills at round start, but do they ever do it? Nope.

Why would science make equipment that no one asked for and waste both time and materials with it?

Takes 1 minutes to go up to R&D and ask for mesons and a drill and skip 15-20 minutes of pickaxe mining. I mean, it sells itself, R&D is not a mindreader for who wants or needs equipment.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Gem locked this topic