Change Columbo's Name

Can we remove the Lt. from the HoS dog's name, please? It's really awkward to have to say "Lt. Columbo" (which would be pronounced Lieutenant Columbo and is a huge unnecessary mouthful every time you want to give your dog a command), when I imagine most people would just ICly call him 'Columbo' and the damned dog would know who you are talking about.

Alternatively, if you can make him respond to just Columbo that would work too, but I think the commands are based on using his specific name?

It's not about the ability to copy and paste and how difficult it is to type 3 extra letters you dweebs, it's about having to include an awkward title just to give your stupid dog commands. (I also don't tend towards using macros/autohiss/copy paste for the most part because it feels kind of like cheating and being lazy. Am I to be punished for wanting to type things out?) People don't refer to their superiors as 'Head of Security Tra'xis', they say 'hoss' or 'chief' or 'Kra'xis, and there's not particular reason the dog should be different.

Preservation of a dumb reference shouldn't take priority over simplicity of design, and from what I'm hearing, it's a reference to a show called 'Columbo' anyway, so why exactly does it positively NEED the Lt. in there to still be a reference...?

Now, if like I and several people have mentioned, if there's a way to let you just give him commands by saying Columbo, sure do that. I don't really understand the fixation with pop culture references being sacred, though. ICly, Columbo is a dog. He does not even know what lieutenant means. He does know he is a good doggie though, and when someone says Columbo, they are talking to him.

Ye making it so you don't have to type the lt bit but having it still as his visible name is probably a good solution.

It's not about the ability to copy and paste and how difficult it is to type 3 extra letters you dweebs, it's about having to include an awkward title just to give your stupid dog commands.

Ayy, those are arguably the same thing.

You don't have macros set up for the dog yet? Noobs.

The dog is powerful enough that you shouldn't be able to rapidly type up the dog's name to attack someone. I do not think his name should be changed for these reasons.

saitama_ok.jpg

Well, now I'm motivated enough to try and make a pull request for this myself. Expect a link soon, maybe. No promises.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I dpnt care too much but i personally like that he outranks sec. You have to rub his tummy when he asks or you are arrested for neglect of duty. Keeping his name but letting columbo itself works would be great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gem locked this topic