Revise Hextrasenil and Trisyndicotin to be less stupid

So it looks like these two drugs were added in to combat certain traumas. On the surface level they are okay, they treat traumas related to hallucinations and pacifism.

But this whole other aspect of them about them mysteriously making you pro or against Nanotrasen is frankly stupid. Even the names are clearly based off 'trasen' and 'syndi' as root words, which makes it seem really jokey. You don't inject people with a chemical that magically changes their viewpoint on a very specific conceptual notion like a company. They might become broadly against authority and get irrational or violent, or doped out and compliant because of the drugs, but that's different from laser-point specific company loyalty changes.

Please remove this aspect of the drugs. We already have loyalty implants, and they are a complex technological device put in someone's brain that can be loosely justified because it's a precision, complex device, while this is frankly a magical potion that makes you love or hate Nanotrasen as a side effect of what it's supposed to do. People's brains don't have a Nanotrasen loyalty gland that can be chemically manipulated.

Funny enough I did not see this post before submitting my updated Hextrasenil and Trisyndicotin concepts lel

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/4648

Yeah... no. I don't think you should be doing that with those two either. Preventing antagonist roles and deactivating loyalty implants? You're just going to encourage people to dose up the crew during autotraitor rounds, or during rounds like cult, run up and force inject or drug the captain so you can convert him. These are terrible ideas that are going to circumvent normal gameplay.

Maybe the route you should be going is making them into regular damn medications instead of reinforcing the silly nonsensical side effects that were put in for them.

I'll note - since implemented I haven't seen these used at all, also, they're protected by the one month rule so making a PR this early is just a boring time to sit and wait.

I think they're interesting chemicals and the rarity of their use will make it OK.

I'll note - since implemented I haven't seen these used at all, also, they're protected by the one month rule so making a PR this early is just a boring time to sit and wait.

I think they're interesting chemicals and the rarity of their use will make it OK.

I have literally seen people, in character, go around offering to inject (suspected) antagonists with this under the proposal than make them pro-Nanotrasen slaves. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean I haven't.

Also, the fact that their existence is being used in certain threads to justify that corporate mind control is a recognized and easily accessed process outside of a proprietary Nanotrasen implant is a part of why I made this change.

I think they're not okay, and they don't make any sense. Even if they are being rarely used, there's no reason why we need to have liquid loyalty implant/antag juice in the game. I'd tackle alchemy too and talk about writing it out of the code if I thought I had any chance of that, but I'll pick my battles where I can.

Addendum: By the time this even makes it into the main game the month wait period will be over, so that argument is kind of moot. The month wait period also applies mostly to full rollbacks, not revisions due to issues with new code implementation.

Having chemicals directly interact with antagonist status is definitely going to interact with the game extremely poorly. Especially if they interact with loyalty implants without outright surgically removing them.

The suggestion posed in the PR is an excellent solution without removing anything meaningful.

• 4 months later...
  • Gem locked this topic