Buff temporary blinds, nerf most of the stun out of flashes.

Inspired by this thread: https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10265

Today on 'contributors ruin my spaceman game', I once again continue my crusade to balance out power creep in a way that is more interesting to gameplay. Effectively, instantaneous, non-telegraphed stuns are lacking in interaction and not quite healthy for the game. Being flashed should not completely render you prone to a beating where you cannot react. Instead, flashes fulfill their descriptive niche of "for use of crippling and being an asshole" rather than as a potent tool security can use to completely roll over a conflict. Borgs also can't be THE LAW in flashing someone to drag them out of a situation. This is arguably a huge nerf for validborgs. But that's okay, because we don't care about their feelings. They should call security instead. Or be a secborg.

In turn, however, the duration of blinds that use the e_flash animation have been globally buffed by 60%. Flashbangs, which actually make sense to AOE stun, being caught in the flash range of a bomb, et cetera. You will now be completely blind for up to 7 seconds before the effects begin to wear off after 2 more seconds. This is very significant, as 7 seconds is enough time for an officer to grapple someone. If someone is aware enough of their surroundings, however, someone can at least try to evade security for a good amount of time.

To make flash spamming untenable, I upped the potential flash breakage rate by 10% per time that it is used. It will never break on the first usage. This is a feature I may change in the near future if I feel that number is not impactful enough to make much of a difference. Use your blind mechanics sparingly, fellow shitcurity.

IPCs, diona, Vaurca, and borgs don't get any benefits from these changes. They retain the same weaknesses in weakening as before. It's sad that Vaurca still get the short end of the stick but it more seriously cements how vulnerable they are to sudden flashes of light.

There also EMP-related stuff but the changes are documented in the PR. And in the changelog I will draft right now as of this post.

Another thing of significance is how this affects heads of staff with flashes. I am well aware that it is fairly disappointing for some heads of staff to not be able to abuse their pocket flash to personally arrest one of their own employees or even, in some situations, completely overthrow their own assailant, restrain them, etc. Now flashes can't be used that very offensively (though there are certainly still some ways) if they have no other weapons. It is thus recommended to use it just to flash someone and just dart away to security.

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/4662

Well, it’s not like O.R.B. actually uses flash... ever. He hates the thing for the ten-ish seconds it immobilizes him to such a degree he never uses his own. Alternative story: because I like my help stun-prods to give chance to antags and whatnot.

Speaking of which; in light of this flash-nerf (except for poor borgs), will the massive cell energy cost of taser and, especially, baton be lowered to compensate?

Aw yeah, finally. Well, you already know this, I"m sure, but this has my approval.

Also, does this mean the blind effect of bombs will last 7 seconds or so too? Did you change the flash animation or make new one?

Correct, they all retain the same amount of blind effect. It's very significant but I'd like to see how this is meaningful in-game, however, especially considering the wide availability of flash protection things in-game.

Correct, they all retain the same amount of blind effect. It's very significant but I'd like to see how this is meaningful in-game, however, especially considering the wide availability of flash protection things in-game.

I wonder if it would be possible to make being caught in the vicinity of an explosion/flashbang also play that sort of inner ear 'ringing sound' they usually do in movies and stuff to indicate someone has been deafened by an a sound alongside the blind...

I remember a game tried to implement a white-noise ear ringing, within hours hundreds of players reported massive headaches (including me and I do not have any major damage to my ears or any conditions) I am completely against noise like that but the suggestion itself is a huge +1 as a Diona main :)

I think nonchemical status effects should be buffed severely in the game across the board, not just blinds. I would be totally ok if a flash simply blinded someone for a time instead of stunning. We need more creative ways to incapacitate someone than simply clicking until horizontal. I think instead of stuns, every nonchemical status effect should be looked at and looked at with the following abilities...

1: Can it cause Pain

2: Can it cause Nausea

3: Can it cause coordination loss

4: Can it blind you

5: Can it deafen you.

In the case of Flashes, I would give them the ability to cause Nausea and the ability to blind someone for a time. Its a wonder already people aren't vomiting from seeing a light strong enough to floor them, this would just correct that, and ultimately make a more healthy game experience.

I remember a game tried to implement a white-noise ear ringing, within hours hundreds of players reported massive headaches (including me and I do not have any major damage to my ears or any conditions) I am completely against noise like that but the suggestion itself is a huge +1 as a Diona main :)

Dionaea are still weakened as normal, as I covered in my post. They have to have a non-lethal weakness. As should IPCs, Vaurca, and borgs.

Well, it’s not like O.R.B. actually uses flash... ever. He hates the thing for the ten-ish seconds it immobilizes him to such a degree he never uses his own. Alternative story: because I like my help stun-prods to give chance to antags and whatnot.

Speaking of which; in light of this flash-nerf (except for poor borgs), will the massive cell energy cost of taser and, especially, baton be lowered to compensate?

Maybe? I'm half on half on this. While I feel for borgs that want to be useful, secborgs tend to be the most volatile thing to touch in regards to how their energy reserves can make or break things.

Maybe? I'm half on half on this. While I feel for borgs that want to be useful, secborgs tend to be the most volatile thing to touch in regards to how their energy reserves can make or break things.

Yeah for sec bots the basic power cell is cancer. One single prod with stun stick removes 10% of battery, effectively forcing sec bots to flash meme or risk suddenly running out of power.

On this own, it's the worst idea I've ever heard. Flashes are the only way for a security officer to actually arrest someone.

Unless you add force gloves to sec officers, I cannot support this powernerf.

stunbaton. taser. peaceful arrest. 'hello sir ur under arrest'. point gun at them. CQC. get er done

On this own, it's the worst idea I've ever heard. Flashes are the only way for a security officer to actually arrest someone.

I don't understand what you're accomplishing with this post.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Flashes require the stun in order to keep someone still for long enough to cuff them. It is already a race, and flashes are countered by sunglasses. -1

I don't understand what you're accomplishing with this post.

Security heavily relies on flashes to detain someone. Just making it blind would be a serious nerf to the security team unless you implement something for security.

Security relies on many things to detain someone, not just flashes. The power of flashing has been significantly redistributed to suit another purpose, to set up for easier CQC or to disorient someone from being able to really do a well-executed resistance effort, without immediately deciding the conflict due to a stun mechanic being involved.