Return Helmets To Not Turning Hair Invisible

Alternatively, we could make it a verb to put your hair inside your helmet (hiding it). That way, people get to choose whether they want it displayed or not - and that would be valuable since certain hairstyles look nonsensical with a helmet sprite just slapped on top of it.

Have it affect Species. Long-haired humans can be assumed to have ICly put their hair in a bun.

They still look clearly bald with the patch of skin below the helmet.

And having the entire hair sprite visible through the helmet is better?

For certain hairstyles (like the ones that mostly hang down, below the helmet-line), yes. But not for others. Which highlights the value of being able to choose.

Wait no, I misunderstood. The hair sprite isn't visible through the helmet; the helmet is just overlaid on it. So only the parts that aren't covered by the helmet are visible. And because of that, it looks good on some hairstyles and bad on others. So, as above... highlighting the value of being able to choose.

Have it affect Species. Long-haired humans can be assumed to have ICly put their hair in a bun.

They still look clearly bald with the patch of skin below the helmet.

And having the entire hair sprite visible through the helmet is better?

Hair uncovered by the helmet being visible. Yes, I think that is acceptable. Deleting the hair entirely and making anyone who wears a helmet bald is dumb and it didn't even look bad before in 80% of cases.

As the others brought up though, just making it a toggle would solve the issue on both ends.

More immersive solution; species locked helmets. A skrell could not wear the same helmet as a human, due to having to accomodate head tentacles, and similar for tajarans and unathi. A tajaran helmet would have inadequate space for head tentacles.

Make human helmets cover hair. Make xeno helmets not cover hair, but reduce their defense slightly to represent that fact that the helmet isn't even fully covering.

Reverting the change and having hair clip out is honestly better than having bald Skrell.

Subjectively, and only for non-humans. Human characters accept that putting a helmet on squashes your hair in under it, rather than imply the helmet has a perfect hole at the back for your floor length braid to protrude. Even less silly hairstyles often clip ridiculously through the helmet.

I, personally, do not want to see the change universally reverted, because this change benefits the aesthetics of my characters. That said, I also understand that having your squid tentacles and kitty ears obscured by your characters head protection is also an offense to their aesthetic. However, they are trying to wear human helmets and we have forced xenospecies to wear helmets as if they were humans instead of letting them wear their own modified helmets.

Species specific helmets is the best solution, for all parties.

It's worth noting that making helmets species-specific would have some gameplay consequences too. It would slightly limit the incidence of being able to use a helmet from a subdued security officer, or a stolen helmet, since it would now also have to match your race. Not a huge change, but one worth thinking about.

And would there be any overlap in functionality? For instance, since Tajaran and Skrellian helmets would basically just be standard ones with extra accomodations for those races, it might make sense that humans would be able to wear those variants even though the Tajara and Skrell can't wear the human version. It doesn't have to be as simple as locking each item 1:1 according to race.

Still I don't see what benefit is conferred by making these species-specific helmets that isn't already solved by making a verb and letting players choose. It could even be added to other headwear, perhaps. Maybe it would take a little more work to implement...

[mention]Alberyk[/mention] It's not clear by your post, but it would be significantly more versatile to have a "tuck hair under headgear" verb to toggle this, if possible. Best of both worlds, certain hairstyles don't magically pop through helmets and aliens don't look ridiculous.

@Alberyk It's not clear by your post, but it would be significantly more versatile to have a "tuck hair under headgear" verb to toggle this, if possible. Best of both worlds, certain hairstyles don't magically pop through helmets and aliens don't look ridiculous.

I am working on a solution for this, expect an update soon.

• 2 months later...
  • Gem locked this topic