Library Design Overhaul

orUKz4k.png

Marwani jobhopped again, and discovered that the the Library isn't really that good, especially compared to other servers. This fixes the design of it to be more like a library while also addressing some of the "can't be bothered to report" bugs such as:

- The fact that anyone can control the lightswitch.

- Librarians do not have access to their own maintenance section.

- Books don't spawn randomly like on other servers.

- The Librarian's room has 0 vents or anything.

1) Is the fact that anyone can turn off the lights really a "bug?"

It's a light switch

There's no reason only the librarian be allowed to turn off the lights

2) Why should a librarian be able to access maintenance tunnels? Maintenance tunnels are for housing the station's utilities and access to them is solely for the purpose of maintaining those utilities. A librarian has no business in them, even if they are adjacent to the library.

3) Randomly spawned books and the addition of ventilation both sound great though

4) Could you define what the intended purposes are for the isolated room in the bottom-left and the corner table closed by a windoor in the top-left?

5) Additional librarian suggestion while I'm here because it's a small thing that doesn't warrant it's own thread: librarians should be able to choose what genre is labeled on a bookcase, instead of having them be static

I knew when I saw Marwani as a journalist that it was only a matter of time before you'd submit a library rework.

You're a good mapper, so this makes me happy. However, I dislike this current iteration.

Pros:

-Love the idea of the closed-off room in the lower left.

-Won't say no to more space behind the desk (Although I'm not sure; do you feel this is necessary? I've never had a problem with it)

-Vent in the office is always good for those of us that enjoy breathing.

-Nice and open concept

-You can really have books spawn randomly? That's pretty neat!

-You have a really great mind for using space and rearranging structures, which is something I am afraid to do.

Cons:

-Could use a table/chair area that isn't out in the center. Lots of people come in to the library for private conversations or to do work in peace. Could be addressed by adding seating room in the lower-left

-Not really a fan of the upper-left area. Is there a reason it's glassed-off? What is its intention?

-The extra computers are kind of a waste of space. I love them aesthetically, but I've never seen anyone waiting in line for the computer before. I'd go back down to one, maybe two.

-Private office is very small still, and does not address some issues

-The two rows of four shelves are awkward. I would split them into blocks of two shelves, to make the genre separation more clear, and provide a little more walking room.

-Missing the AI holopad, secondary newscaster, and public library requests console

A lot of these cons can be chalked up to the fact that you haven't played in the librarian role, or even as a journalist, for a long time to see all the small issues that crop up. And that's totally fair; you can't predict every issue without feedback. As MO_oNy pointed out, you should look at that thread to view the list of issues that have been pointed out by me as someone who played librarian every shift for a month straight. Most notably, a bulletin board and an extra unlabeled shelf would be really handy for us, as well as a locker in the office, and keeping the filing cabinet in there as well.

My map in that thread is very rough and I have never mapped before. Take it with a grain of salt and see what you can take from it as well as MO-oNy's design. I think this is a very solid start, and the library is very much in need of a facelift.

1) Is the fact that anyone can turn off the lights really a "bug?"

I agree with this. It's not all that strange to me.

2) Why should a librarian be able to access maintenance tunnels?

I agree with this, as well. I don't see any reason a librarian would need maintenance access (As much as I would personally love being able to go grab that piano every shift).

5) Additional librarian suggestion while I'm here because it's a small thing that doesn't warrant it's own thread: librarians should be able to choose what genre is labeled on a bookcase, instead of having them be static

These can be changed by using a pen.

All departments are allowed to go into maintenance via a tunnel that their department can access. The cook can go into maintenance. The bartender can go into maintenance. The gardener can go into maintenance. It's a bug that librarians cannot access their maintenance section despite every department being able to.

The librarian should be the only person allowed to control the lights. The library is a large, public space. It would be like adding a lightswitch to the bar near the door.

Top left area is a display case for books. Bottom left area is the adult section.

Why should the bar not have a light switch near the door? The person who works in a room does not get to play God and arbiter of everything within that room. It's just a light switch. The bartender (or librarian) is not uniquely qualified to determine if it's appropriate to turn the lights on or off. They just work there. They are public spaces.

If it's about standardization across departments, I don't actually have an issue with it, even though I personally think it's extremely strange to have maintenance access. Would love if this access extended to the old theater just south of the library, but that might be a bit powercreepy to have access to such a secluded space.

I'm more or less neutral on the light switch thing; it's not a big deal either way.

A display area, is it? Huh, you know, I actually really like that. Reminds me of the libraries I worked in and visit. Okay, yeah, I'm on board with that. And yeah, I like the separated adult section.

Thanks for explaining. My other suggestions and points still stand.

I'll tell you one thing I don't like, the maintenance door.

The great about the current library is the seemless transition, a lot of people don't realize this but library is one of THE best spots to do shady shit in simply from how much cover the bookcases provide and how far away they are.

From an antags perspective this is a big nerf, while moving a door up a few tiles doesn't seem like an issue at all it is a big smack in the face as it is now withing eyeshot and earshot of the librarian, crippling your very secret point of entry and no longer being shielded by the bookcases.

Everything else was addressed already.

I do appreciate that this design incorporates an ERP room, because why else would smut books need to be in their own isolated chamber with no windows and a vent for when things get hot

In seriousness, this layout would certainly make me miss the armchair-tables that are in our current library. Desk chairs just don't feel like they cut it if you want to just kick back and hit the books for a while.

library is one of THE best spots to do shady shit in simply from how much cover the bookcases provide and how far away they are.

This is a good point, but the adult section he added would be a good place to do shady stuff. Though I agree, if that shady stuff involves maint access, this is a bit of a nerf. Believe it or not there are some librarians who enjoy staying in the library.

In seriousness, this layout would certainly make me miss the armchair-tables that are in our current library.

I didn't even notice this initially, and I heartily agree. Rolling chairs make sense for the large table, but for desks? I'd go back to the big comfy chairs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gem locked this topic