Have the Chef's Vendor be Fully-Stocked

(I got out of bed for this suggestion; it was important)

So, the chef's vendor--whatever it's called, the one with glasses and cutlery and trays it's late don't judge--follows the same rules as junk food vendors. It shouldn't. I shouldn't spawn as a chef and only have 1 fork to give to my customers. Make it like the boozeomat or something and have it spawn stocked.

The engineering vendors also suffer from this. I die inside when I go to set up shields and we have zero airlock electronics and two pieces of cable coil. It's really annoying and should only affect food vendors, because it gets in the way of doing our jobs.

I didn't know about this. Extend it to this, too.

Yeah, the Engineering one is INCREDIBLY annoying. I like this concept for the food vendors because it's like a big "duh, that makes total sense!". It does not make sense for job related vendors to go without forks or cable coil (especially when coil is so abundant, you could wire the station in zip ties for an on-coming apocalypse by just tunnel diving.)

"Go set up the shields."

One airlock controller

"WE GETTING CREATIVE TODAY, BOYS. WHEN WE REALLY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO."

Hold on.

There are two things that need to be cleared up:

• All vending machines can be restocked using the restock cartridges from the janitor. -> if your vending machine is empty. Ask for them to restock it. (You can also help yourself to the restock cartridge by ordering it from cargo or "getting it")
  • There is a minimum item count that all vending machines start with. Its not possible that a vending machine is completely empty at roundstart.

Hold on.

• All vending machines can be restocked using the restock cartridges from the janitor. -> if your vending machine is empty. Ask for them to restock it. (You can also help yourself to the restock cartridge by ordering it from cargo or "getting it")
  • There is a minimum item count that all vending machines start with. Its not possible that a vending machine is completely empty at roundstart.

The problem is I shouldn't have to break into the janitor closet as a chef to be able to serve customers. A restriction on junkfood, sure. But now there's a restriction on chef food because maybe my customers don't want to eat their steak and eggs with their hands.

It may not be completely empty, but what is 1 fork and 1 glass going to do when a guy asks for 2 steaks and 2 beers for him and his friend? It's not like I can turn to the nonexistent bartender and ask for some glasses. Or ask the nonexistent janitor for a refill. If this is something I need to do my job, why is it locked behind RNG of whether or not I get to comfortably serve my customers that round? It's not like janitors have a chance to just not have space cleaner in their bottles or science has a chance to have less metal and glass in RnD.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hold on.

One of the primary alleged benefits of the variable vendors is that it's a chef buff. Less traffic to vendors due to inconvenience of restocking ---> more traffic to chef. There is an additional benefit to this structure if there is no janitor to refill the vendors, making the chef the only legal, reliable source of food from within the station itself.

Also nerfing the chef's supply breaks the system down.

Raising the lowest amount the chef's supplies could get to a more comfortable 6 would be ideal. Then he could feed 3 groups of pairs at any one time and ask them to bring their glasses and plates back.

In the event there's no Janitors around, there becomes no way for the every day person to get their vendors restocked. And engineers shouldn't have to break into Janitorial to do their job for them. They already need to break into atmospherics for the Supermatter. I don't really think "you can just hack in" should be the acceptable solution.

The low stock doesn't affect Medical vendors, because medical needs them to keep people alive. It doesn't affect the bartender, because... why??? Who knows. But it does affect engineering, which is quite annoying, because it's arguably one of the most important departments on the station, and I shouldn't have to hack my way into Janitorial every round to fix it.

• Gem locked this topic