Oxygen Candles, Rescue Bags

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So apparently you can open O2 tanks and release oxygen into the room that way. Why do we need these candles too if that's already possible?

i'm guessing a candle would have more overall effect on a room, opening a little emergency tank to pressurise an area is kind of futile, its a small supply meant for attaching to a suit

An oxygen candle stores the oxygen in solid form, so its far more stable and compact than the gas cans. Imagine if all the smoke from a burning soda can full of diesel was delicious oxygen, and you see the merits. We can stick oxygen candles in emergency storage closets or carry them around in boxes, allowing a very quick and convenient means of restoring breathable air to a room. Not ideal air, as Nanako points out, but lifesaving.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Rumors swirl betwixt the ears of dark men in hard times.

I'm dropping in just to say that oxygen candles could be loaded into used Space Balls to recharge them, instead of / as well as emergency O2 tanks.

Just in case oxygen candles were becoming.

A.

Thing.

• 4 weeks later...

(First post, woohoo)

This seems like a pretty awesome idea. As a guy who mains atmospheric technician, going into a depressurized area to attempt to recover survivors would feel a lot more space station firefigher-ey if they weren't dead from the cold vacuum of space.

It'd also be neat if the balls could be reset with some fiddling to give atmos techs or engineering apprentices something to do in their down time (just small busy work.)

As far as oxygen candles go, it's a luxury item for sure, and I don't think that players should spawn with it because that could potentially be incredibly helpful. However, I do think that they should be stocked in oxygen cabinets and given to engineering and what-not so they can distribute them if needed.

+1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Gem locked this topic