Oxygen Candles, Rescue Bags

People don't kill people. The cold, uncaring vacuum of space kills people. And as these are player-versus-environment kills, there is nothing wrong with making it a little easier to survive.

Oxygen Candles

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_f3RPrikaEW_ENqWYYoQcB3fnznqgNy0tBkUHOtkOpl_iJ7Cx

A supplement to emergency oxygen tanks issued to mine workers and submarine crews, and used on both Mir and the Space Station. Oxygen candles are flare-like steel tubes of sodium chlorate which, at temperatures over 300 C, generate 600 liters of 101kpa oxygen for 1 liter of sodium chlorate. A 1-liter personal oxygen candle is enough to provide 20 kilopascals of oxygen to only three tiles, but may be enough to raise oxygen levels of only partially vented rooms to habitability. Multiple candles may be used. Candles have a long shelf life and are a low-cost means of storing emergency oxygen for years. Downside; ignition point for the duration of burn, useless in rooms with an open breach, oxygen produced is at 600 celcius but lets just forget that bit. Cheap enough to stick in the internals kit box, or to fit in an oxy-dep aid kit or a box of oxygen candles in oxygen lockers. Atmos Tech-scaled versions possible. Previously suggested here: http://aurorastation.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2241

Rescue Balls

tumblr_mx8pv2BE6z1t426w9o1_500.png

A low-budget replacement to soft-suits, capable of being carried in a backpack. Employees are encouraged to aquire folded balls from oxygen lockers in the event of a Code Blue / Code Red threat to station hull integrity, and are available to engineering, security, and EMT personnel for lifesaving operations. Operates similar to a cryobag. In the event a room is depressurized, the user pulls out the folded ball, unfolds it, opens it, puts themselves or their loved one into the ball, and zips it back up. Closing the zipper and locking it in place triggers an oxygen-generating pellet. The ball immediately inflates its internal volume of 200 liters with 21 kpa of pure oxygen, enough to provide breathable air and non-lethal pressure. The bag is colored rescue orange and white with reflective markings, and so "glows in the dark" with just enough light to illuminate the tile it is on to 90% darkness. Medical HUDs provide general health data of the occupant. The ball may then be grabbed, pushed, pulled, and rescued to pressure by personnel with proper EVA gear. The bag is also one-time use. If opened, it dumps its internal atmosphere to the tile. In the event of re-use, it will assume the atmosphere of the tile it is closed in, as the oxygen-generating pellet is expended. To manually open the bag from inside, type resist. To open from the outside, click with the help intent.

Downsides; the ball may be ruptured. This vents the internal pressure and will begin causing vacuum damage. Fortunately the ball is insulated enough to prevent thermal damage, but the occupant must have internals set and will have a brief window to be recovered if the ball is damaged by carp, being pulled over glass shards, or hostile activity. The ball is not fireproof. The ball does not protect from high pressure. The ball does not permit movement. The ball does not permit vision.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ball does not permit movement. The ball does not permit vision.

Well, of course you could approach a injured and incapacitated person, lay the ball under them, and zip it up from the outside. How else would we rescue people who didn't bring a ball?

But really, ideally, it would be something people had in their backpacks for when they know they're fucked by space and just want to live.

Also space wind will blow them around a bit. Maybe out the hole.

I like the bag idea. Would they essentially be stasis bags, but with health-freeze traded for pressure-stabilization? Do stasis bags do that now? Can we currently shove someone in a stasis bag and drag them through space without killing them?

1. Cost. A rescue ball is easily ten or twenty times cheaper than a voidsuit, consisting only of three layers of fabric and few manufactured components. It is about as difficult to make as a sleeping bag with a few details, like straps for pulling and the oxygen generator and pressure-sealed adhesive zipper flap. Additionally a rescue ball requires minimal maintenance as it is disposable, unlike a softsuit.

2. Portability. A rescue ball can fit in your backpack. This will make it the only space survival device able to be carried around.

3. Training. A rescue ball requires no training to speak of in order to operate. It is ideal for civilian self-use.

4. Pressurized. A rescue ball pressurizes its internal air with a breathable level of oxygen, rather than rely on an internals rig. This is tremendously useful for quickly getting injured persons into a pressure where they may be able to breathe on their own. It also does not require applying and setting internals.

5. Fast. A rescue ball is deployed in one or two clicks. Internals + EVA suit requires setting five things in the agonizingly slow "other person" inventory menu.

5. Medical removal. A rescue ball can be removed easily by anyone, including medics. Might not apply to emergency suits, but still handy.

Not being able to see out of the ball is optional; the real prototypes were opaque because a window was considered an engineering hassle. Since you can't move, there's nothing to see for. Just zip up and start rocking yourself in crying jags from your claustrophobia as rescuers swear and shove floating corpses out of the way trying to reach you. The other reason why you can't see is because these balls are mechanically identical to throwing your hands up and screaming "don't shoot". The ball means you've surrendered to the big black. Sit still and beg for mercy over the radio.

It seems odd to me that we'd have complete space suits stuffed in lockers for any random assistant to suit up and fuckoff-to-space with, anyhow.

Basically, these are lifesaving devices. Life jackets. You aren't expected to swim in them, but you are expected to bob in the water waiting for rescue. Seeing how many people die of depressurization who could be saved for 1/20th the cost of an emergency softsuit (its a fabric bag with a zipper and a chemical oxygen generator), Nanotrasen would surely cut their cloning expenses with these rescue balls.

If there is a version that can be sealed from the outside, they would be extremely handy for nukes/heisters.

Makes kidnapping easier rather then tossing people into a soft suit.

This is also an advantage.

Guest Complete Garbage

This is a great idea, and I'd love to see it used. I'd much rather have these in emergency closets instead of softsuits. Also, instead of oxygen candles being widespread, I'd recommend having a few in EVA, maybe some in engie workshop/atmos, and have R&D able to make more. R&D could also be able to make rescue bags, though I don't really see how one could be made with metal and glass.

This is a great idea, and I'd love to see it used. I'd much rather have these in emergency closets instead of softsuits. Also, instead of oxygen candles being widespread, I'd recommend having a few in EVA, maybe some in engie workshop/atmos, and have R&D able to make more. R&D could also be able to make rescue bags, though I don't really see how one could be made with metal and glass.

Is plastic still a thing in Baystation?

Guest Complete Garbage

Is plastic still a thing in Baystation?

Forgot about plastic, but the autolathe doesn't use it and neither does the Protolathe afaik. I mean, I suppose it could be added in for that purpose, or perhaps you could just lathe a 'rescue bag construction kit' with some stuff in it to build one.

Fiberglass cloth outer shell with several layers of metal foil between. But yeah. Emergency closets can have their softsuits replaced. We had a pirate round in which fussing and fumbling with getting a spare EVA suit for our captive caused long delays. A grab-and-go solution like a rescue ball would have Ana Morgan's contract sealed and paid for.

• 3 weeks later...