Toggle Off Loyalty Implants

I say toggle off because it's a config option whether they exist or not. Anyway.

Delete these horrid abominations.

I have never thought of loyalty implants as a good thing. Somehow they prevent cultists from gaining high value targets (I can understand the roles they spawn in not being able to cult on roundstart but c'mon) and they prevent us revs from beating our ideologies into people. Also, they constantly spawn the issues of less-than-stellar command justifying themselves with 'but i am le implanted'.

I think that the loyalty implant has put such a restraint on command level RP its absurd, whilst yes it makes sense for the man who knows about a nuclear device on the station to be implanted with some sort of restraint on themselves it seriously prevents a majority of RP situations going anywhere, commands involvement in a round makes or breaks it, and them having a tad more free will is good for all of us.

+1 from me papa

i agree. i don't feel loyalty implants contribute properly and they have an incorrect feel to me.

what i would LIKE is a lore development on them, since we have all these peopel fucking up with them. we had a bunch of 'shit these loyalty implants DONT WORK' lately and i think Nanotrasen should do shit to maybe get them away. maybe blame Kalren Halstere going haywire on them.

A lore development for them being disposed of would make plenty of sense with latest events.

What events?

I'm mostly for this,both because I don't really care for loyalty implants as a role playing mechanic, and because it will strip away yet another commonly bleated defense about why certain roles are given a carte blanche to have freedom and privileges that they don't really need or deserve, which inevitably certain people use to play as obnoxious and unlikable characters as possible.

With this change I can resume my attempts to pull the rug out from under their nonsense without being met with another wall of 'but they're whitelisted and loyalty implanted so they can do that'.

It would also be nice to be able to play captains or HoS's as actual people rather than corporate effigies pretending to be people, who always have to act in the best interests of the Nanotrasen, regardless of what is going on or any personal feelings on matters. I'd like to be able to convince a captain to betray the company through reason, lies, or trickery, instead of just being automatically stymied because he has a plot device in his skull.

At long last I have changed my mind simply on the basis of it inevitably making decisions incredibly linear and un-fun.

Against an opponent like you im gonna have to go all out....

I CALL UPON THE POWER OF THE AURORASTATION WIKI

Used commonly by NanoTrasen as a means of reducing risk and ensuring trustworthy leaders, the loyalty implant is a minuscule piece of technology with a single job: to influence a patient's decision making and judgement to suit Nanotrasen's needs.

To do this, the chip is implanted in the frontal lobe to act as a synthetic neurotransmitter. Unique programming allows the implant to not only create its own electrical synapses, but to interact with neurons to create judgement and personage in a patient that benefits Nanotrasen's image, with minimal detriment to the patient's well-being.

Negative side effects from the loyalty implant are uncommon in standard operations, but expected. Short-term effects can include anxiety, headaches and insomnia, while long-term effects include more serious disorders such as a permanent impact on decision making. This is public knowledge and it is for these reasons that loyalty implants are deactivated via an automatic network when the patient is not working.

Though unlikely, it is possible that a loyalty implant be overridden by stress or strong emotions. If patient's loyalty implant is overridden (or when it is simply faulty), it is advised to remove the faulty implant through surgical means and replace it with a functioning one.

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Nanotrasen_Corporation

BEHOLD! OUR CANON FOR LOYALTY IMPLANTS! Courtesty of [mention]nursiekitty[/mention] . I reject the argument that a loyalty implant makes your decision making un-fun. They simply alter your judgement a little bit. The important part is the bit i put in bold. This provides a logical basis for a loyalty implanted individual to do something extraordinary. There is a logical basis to strangle a murderer to death if he just killed your significant other for example. Its an out. It is not a perfect mind control device.

It'd still be more prudent to replace them with maybe mindshield implants, or more preferably nothing at all.

In the former case we have to explain why NT metagames and in the latter case we have to explain why the roles that are normally implanted would be resistant to cult conversion and vamp shenanigans.

It would require a lot of work for a payout im not convinced of.

The implant is a limiting as you make it. If you want to override it just ahelp an admin and ask, it's canonically possible. In canon it's supposed to be unlikely but since you'll likely be trying to override it during a non canon round as long as your reasoning is sound then I'm sure the staff will oblige you.

Also implants can be removed, so if you want to convert the cap just remove their implant.

• 1 month later...