[1 Dismissal] Directive 6 Cosmetic changes rewrite

Recently there's been a lot more tile colour 'shitposting', and it gives me vision issues while playing rounds where it is present. This can range from depth issues, being able to make out sprites, and all the way to migraines and nausea, with at least one time bringing up. It's similar to the wearing of the psychedelic jumpsuit, which was removed from maintenance in a suggestion. So, in the same spirit, I think it'd make sense to limit cosmetic changes to something more acceptable for a Corporate research facility ICly, as well as cut down on vision issues OOCly. I don't know if I'm the only one but I certainly hope I am, as I feel like shit when subject to these designs.

As is, the directive reads,

"Regarding Remodeling and Cosmetic Alterations - Station Directive 6:

To clarify when, who, and how non-structural, non-atmospheric, non-electrical modifications to an area of the station may be performed.

Cosmetic remodeling of a department may be performed by any staff with written and signed consent of the department in question. Cosmetic alteration to general areas, such as hallways, arrivals, and departures, require consent from the Chief Engineer, The Captain, or (in the absence of both) Command as a whole. "

I'm sure a better wordsmith can alter this to limit the length of what is considered cosmetic, or something. I just cannot, as is, stomach the amount and depth of tile art. I think it's ugly as fuck, but at the same time, it's a health concern for me and actively impedes on me, playing the game, let alone enjoying it.

I don't know, I consider it a big enough issue to write this suggestion.

I'm not super interested in addressing this as IC policy right now. As written, the directive requires that someone responsible for the area give permission for the change. If you have an issue with non-standard tile coloration on one specific facility in Tau Ceti, you should be taking it up with the people aboard that facility who gave that permission, not sector administration.

Either that, or it's a maintenance drone and you can beat it with a stick and ask engineering to fix the issue.

If your concern is that it is adversely affecting your health OOC, or that the behavior breaks the spirit of OOC rules in any way, please raise that with administrators. The station directives are generally meant to be IC guidelines.

I've noticed this too, and while it doesn't cause health issues for me it can be a little annoying having the hallways painted various colors. Personally I feel it's a bit of a low RP thing to do. I also don't know if the admins would appreciate us beating a drone to death with a metal rod/crowbar/toolbox/robust metal object for painting the floors (unneeded combat logs, potiental for ganking since the drones can only really beep buzz and ping in response, annoyance of going out of your way to chase said drone down).

I wouldn't mind seeing things like departments getting a custom paint job if they request it, or the painting is done on a floor like the construction level where few people even go, but running around the halls painted neon pink on a research station while mercenaries chase you down seems a bit immersion breaking.

pretty sure painting the floors falls under station modifications

so if an engineer just grabs it and starts drawing a pink dick in medbay lobby, feel free to arrest them, unless the CE supports it

iff the CE supports it, uh-

sucks to suck, i guess

I've noticed this too, and while it doesn't cause health issues for me it can be a little annoying having the hallways painted various colors. Personally I feel it's a bit of a low RP thing to do. I also don't know if the admins would appreciate us beating a drone to death with a metal rod/crowbar/toolbox/robust metal object for painting the floors (unneeded combat logs, potiental for ganking since the drones can only really beep buzz and ping in response, annoyance of going out of your way to chase said drone down).

I wouldn't mind seeing things like departments getting a custom paint job if they request it, or the painting is done on a floor like the construction level where few people even go, but running around the halls painted neon pink on a research station while mercenaries chase you down seems a bit immersion breaking.

If you're worried by moderator breathing over your neck. You're better off telling engineers or Chief Engineer to deactivate it through the Drone Fabrication Console, beating drones with a crowbar can also be seem immersion breaking... But hey, I agree with you on your second paragraph!

pretty sure painting the floors falls under station modifications

so if an engineer just grabs it and starts drawing a pink dick in medbay lobby, feel free to arrest them, unless the CE supports it

iff the CE supports it, uh-

sucks to suck, i guess

Painting do fall under station modification and is hard to "scrub out" because it's paint. Also, if Engineer paints and starts drawing a pink dick in medical bay lobby, an appropriate charge is to charge hooliganism on the engineer because it is considered degrading activity. If the Chief Engineer supports this modification, might want to see to it being overridden by Captain. Paperwork is your best friend and worst enemy. Otherwise... I dunno what to say. I think we should trust our Command Staffs not to let this happen as they're a role model for all the players in sake of roleplay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...