[Dismissed] Unfuck Code Red

There's something about code red that always ends up as 'Everyone sit down and shut the fuck up and don't move out of your departments or arm yourselves for self-defense or we will kill you. This code is fun for only Command and Security level personnel.' I hate it, it detracts from the game and sequesters the crew away from interaction with the antag/event/whatever. It needs to be reworded or retooled.

Edited by Guest
Guest Marlon Phoenix

i mean the code is necessary, its not inherently a problem withi nitself. the biggest issues are how it barrs the ability for the community to have the round end (CT vote disabled) and the authority of the whole station being handed over to the HoS.

its not the mechanics but the behavior of the HoS and Captain during it.

Amazingly, having your station attacked by terrorists and having the entire establishment put on lockdown for the rest of the shift is not supposed to be fun for civilians. It is only a focus on the antagonists and security. No one else gets to have fun in the round. Both antagonists and security have only one goal and that's to kill other characters in the round.

Good luck figuring out how to stop that.

The unfucking of code red can be accomplished by lowering the standard of living for the entire setting, at least for non-command roles. If everyone except the heads is in a sorry economic state, it creates a meta-stressor that can be used for many, many situations. Additionally, by doing this, as well as changing how Nanotrasen hires and fires people can further reinforce selfish mindsets. Currently, Nanotrasen hires the best and brightest for the Aurora. This could easily be redefined as those lucky few who happened to be chosen from a virtually endless list of applicants.

What does all this selfishness do? It makes people care about themselves more. At the moment, part of the reason security does what it does because the players want to be OOCly and ICly perceived as 'good' at their job. While this is not necessarily true in all cases, its a sound ic reasoning with little to no faults regardless of the context an officer uses it in. This kind of thinking creates us and them mindset, which is unhealthy and leads to exclusion.

Instead, with some lore rewrites, and a few policy changes to reflect this darker aspect of working within a Megacorp, It would promote a security officer to ask themselves, "Its an emergency, how can I advance my career/help myself?" This will not always lead to defeating that antags or resolving the situation as one might think. Sometimes, appearing to do work is more effective than actually doing work, and so it enshrines the idea that each security officer has a 'face' they need to convey. Conversely, being more selfish and self-serving means that the crew is less likely to herd themselves, creating these pockets of chair RP that everyone hates in emergency rounds.

In short, everyone needs to be more self-serving. With some lore-rewrites this can be reinforced.

Another fix I considered, but would require a code, would be to define parameters for NDE's or Near Death Experiences. NDEs would have a chance to make a crewmember a renegade, a pusedo antag that only cares for themselves. By setting parameters for what is an isnt a NDE, we can have more roleplay from everyone involved.

• 1 month later...

We've discussed this with the moderation team and there's really nothing a policy from an administrative point of view to deal with this beyond our general enforcement, nor has there really been an actual suggestion in that nature.

I do see some merit with what Bygone suggested here but that is another topic which the lore team can work on.

I'm going to be binning this.