[Dismissed] Adjust Server Settings to Reflect Summer Drop

BurgerBB

What the title says. The server is now suffering from lowpop summer drop as everyone is admitting and currently I think the server's settings need to change to reflect this.

Things that should change:

- Giving jobs getting additional access (JOBS_HAVE_MINIMAL_ACCESS in config). In most servers, the chef would get access to the bar and kitchen during lowpop but this is disabled by config.

- Server secret weights. It's just going to be mostly be ling, cult, malf, ninja, rev, vampire, wizard. I'm pretty sure that these are actually the voted worst gamemodes. In the last few days, there have been an insane amount of ling rounds.

- Quite possible blacklisting security from being antags (PROTECT_ROLES_FROM_ANTAGONIST in config) so that security can protect the station. This is probably a terrible idea but it's something I found and could possibly warrant discussion.

- Lower the amount of major events that occur during rounds such as meteor storms and spiders (EVENT_CUSTOM_START_MAJOR in config).

1. this would be worth tying to sub 10-player rounds. It not being summer doesn't affect population that substantially.

2. I'd have ling disabled pending its rework if I had my way.

3. eh no. That'd kill paranoia that even security could have traitors in its midst.

4. Most major events can be handled. Meteors and space carp are a joke, the only threat to the station during low pop is a blob or the lack of shields after 1 hr and 30 minutes into the round.

Major events are very predictable in their timing as the event controller is only random in what events get chosen, not their timing. Most people would not enjoy a Randy Random-style event controller, after all, as the survival of the station would literally be dependent on the event controller.

• 3 weeks later...

- Giving jobs getting additional access (JOBS_HAVE_MINIMAL_ACCESS in config). In most servers, the chef would get access to the bar and kitchen during lowpop but this is disabled by config.

I'm interested in hearing more feedback about this. Presently I'm not wholly partial to this. I'm sure most access obstacles can be resolved by some cooperation between crew members and obstacles are not necessarily a bad thing.

- Server secret weights. It's just going to be mostly be ling, cult, malf, ninja, rev, vampire, wizard. I'm pretty sure that these are actually the voted worst gamemodes. In the last few days, there have been an insane amount of ling rounds.

Some modification on the minimum ready players can be made to compensate for that. Revolution, cult and changeling might be modes suited for a medium and above population compared to traitor or wizard/ninja.

- Quite possible blacklisting security from being antags (PROTECT_ROLES_FROM_ANTAGONIST in config) so that security can protect the station. This is probably a terrible idea but it's something I found and could possibly warrant discussion.

It's been discussed in the past. Originally security were blacklisted from antagonist modes to some extent but that has since been removed. I feel we benefit from having them susceptible to being an antagonist. Not partial to this, and I'd rather not have it so people default to security being immediately the good guys just because they can't become an antag.

- Lower the amount of major events that occur during rounds such as meteor storms and spiders (EVENT_CUSTOM_START_MAJOR in config).

I'm willing to have something dependent on the current manifest count.

I guess it would depend on the jobs and the access, but I do not think this should be implemented for most, if not all, jobs considering the argument of having access to an area means you have all the skills to use everything in that area.

I would be fine with this, but I'm not sure it's necessary anymore. I'm just looking through #game_status and it feels like a good spread of gamemodes.

I wouldn't like to see this, for reasons stated by Schev and Abo.

Major events, yes. Especially blob/major spiders can be completely crippling (even vines on lowpop are a massive hassle sometimes.)

• 7 months later...

I don't really think this is needed at all, from my memory: people do fine with less players and can just improvise/go around things. Besides, those mechanics are locked behind a config, before we consider this, they should be implemented in a more accessible way.

Voting for dismissal.