[Dismissed] On Custom Items: Resonable Pet Restrictions

Kaed

Simple suggestion:

Since bringing pets to work is apparently a thing we are going to be doing, it would be good to set some sanity limits. My suggestion is...

-Pets must be small enough to fit in carrier (cats/mice/hamsters/small dogs/little birdies, etc). No large dogs or plains tyrants or 'tame lions'.

-Pets must be of established domesticated species and not 'exotic/dangerous'. (like birds of prey, poisonous snakes, ocelots, platypi)

I think it would be wiser to focus on the danger it may pose to station assets and personnel than just size. For example: instead of carriers, perhaps simply say that only domesticated pets are permitted with restrictions such as dangerous animals are not permitted but pets like dogs (All kinds), cats, etc. are permitted, but animals such as carp, bears, lions, snakes, etc. are not allowed due to their capacity for harm.

I think it would be wiser to focus on the danger it may pose to station assets and personnel than just size. For example: instead of carriers, perhaps simply say that only domesticated pets are permitted with restrictions such as dangerous animals are not permitted but pets like dogs (All kinds), cats, etc. are permitted, but animals such as carp, bears, lions, snakes, etc. are not allowed due to their capacity for harm.

They need to be small enough to fit in a carrier item so they don't clutter up space in emergencies. It's not a problem when there is 1 husky, but when you have 5+ people bringing their huskies to work and they can't be carried because they're a large mob, they start doing thing like clogging up elevators in emergencies and you have to leave people behind to save the fucking dogs (and people will do this, trust me). So let's just nip this off and require they can fit in your pack. Portable pets cause less safety and logistical problems

I honestly prefer 0 pets on the station at all tbh. It's a top of the line research station but then again 0 people act like it.

So would I but we gotta create compromises or things will go mad.

I wasn't aware we have so many custom pets on station.

We don't. I'm trying to plan ahead here.

The salt over Killinksi's dog being approved from you has always been hilarious to me, but this? This just made my day.

As long as we're pretending this is a legitimate suggestion, it's a -1 from me. Not a real issue, doesn't need a policy to be made.

Edit: plus, this is just annoying when it comes to the (very rare) chance of the merchant bringing interesting animals aboard.

Edit 2, electric boogaloo: actually re-reading the suggestion, it's apparent this was purposely worded to prevent the custom item dog that was already approved from being brought aboard. This is exceedingly petty. Double -1 for you.

Edited by Guest

The salt over Killinksi's dog being approved from you has always been hilarious to me, but this? This just made my day.

As long as we're pretending this is a legitimate suggestion, it's a -1 from me. Not a real issue, doesn't need a policy to be made.

Edit: plus, this is just annoying when it comes to the (very rare) chance of the merchant bringing interesting animals aboard.

Edit 2, electric boogaloo: actually re-reading the suggestion, it's apparent this was purposely worded to prevent the custom item dog that was already approved from being brought aboard. This is exceedingly petty. Double -1 for you.

Killinski's dog has not been approved. As far as I can tell, Tishina, the one who actually makes that decision, has not even posted in the thread yet. I just skimmed through it again to check, but it's possible I missed it. Even so, if it was approved, I'd like this policy to make them reconsider.

Additionally, this is about bringing pets to work as a persistent item that you apply for, not about buying dogs from the merchant. That isn't, and never has been, any actual problem. You can buy guns from the merchant too, but you certainly can't have them as a custom item. It's for single round flavor only.

• 6 months later...