[Policy Discussion] Directive 4 [Implemented]

To clarify the expectations and obligations of Research staff, what they can make, how and where they can use experimental technology or the works thereof.

The supply department is designated to hold and distribute various supplies within the confines of their warehouse. All avenues of research available are permitted for experimentation by those deemed qualified by Nanotrasen in that specific field of Science. However, unless an emergency situation calls for application and authorization is granted, the works and derivatives of the Research staff are to remain within their respective labs and testing areas. The contents of the cargo warehouse from past shifts are not regarded as contraband if it remains in the warehouse or is in transit to a delivery location or method.

That is the current text of Directive 4. I personally believe that Directive 4 is too restrictive, it takes away agency of scientists to distribute prototypes without handholding. In a way, this hampers other departments from having their best equipment.

My proposed replacement involves Scientists being able to distribute prototypes, but having to keep track of what prototypes went where. I thought a discussion thread would be nice.

Restating what I said on discord for forum review.

I am responsible for the original draft of Directive Four, which initially only covered Research before it was expanded to Cargo by later dev contribution. The initial intent of Directive Four was to let geneticists test in their lab without being accosted, to permit scientists to prototype weapons, equipment and gadgets and use them for testing and roleplay within the department, and provide a basis for treating slime outbreaks. As in, if they aren't in the lab then the xenobiologist can be charged and the loose specimen terminated. I can see how the specific wording can be interpreted to mean 'do not issue anything from Research unless it's an emergency', but that was not the intent, and infact would be counter intuitive to RnDs purpose. I would support modifying the directive to permit issuance of RnD products with oversight/paperwork, especially since the prevalance of scientists walking around casually with laser cannons has been drastically curtailed with the holy firing pin update.

I started playing scientist and it's a shame that the things I make are forced to the confines of science.

Directive 4 should be reworked in a way where if the appropriate paperwork is assigned by the Captain and/or Research director, the works of science and research can freely exit the building. I tend to ignore station directive 4 (by ignore, I mean forget) when it comes to stuff like harmless circuits creations.

For example...

If it's illegal tech, fuck off you can't bring that outside whatsoever.

If it's a weapon or ammunition, you need approval from the HoS and the Research Director, a signature from the person who made the device, and a signature of the person using the device.

If it's a tool, you need approval from the Research Director, a signature from the person who made the device, and a signature of the person using the device.

I started playing scientist and it's a shame that the things I make are forced to the confines of science.

Directive 4 should be reworked in a way where if the appropriate paperwork is assigned by the Captain and/or Research director, the works of science and research can freely exit the building. I tend to ignore station directive 4 (by ignore, I mean forget) when it comes to stuff like harmless circuits creations.

For example...

If it's a weapon or ammunition, you need approval from the HoS and the Research Director, a signature from the person who made the device, and a signature of the person using the device.

If it's a tool, you need approval from the Research Director, a signature from the person who made the device, and a signature of the person using the device.

You misunderstood, the current wording is that so long as RD signs off on an equipment requisition form you can take anything out into the wild. Now there are other IC rules which put limits on this, namely regulations on contraband. As it current stands though, you can go get a weapons permit signed by an HoS and then get am equipment req signed by RD, and then bam. You can carry your (recently pinned) gat around.

For example...

You misunderstood, the current wording is that so long as RD signs off on an equipment requisition form you can take anything out into the wild. Now there are other IC rules which put limits on this, namely regulations on contraband. As it current stands though, you can go get a weapons permit signed by an HoS and then get am equipment req signed by RD, and then bam. You can carry your (recently pinned) gat around.

Oh, then I'm fine with Directive 4 as long as it provides clarification no this matter. The scientist who told me this said "OH NO, DIRECTIVE 4 MEANS YOU CAN'T TAKE WEAPONS OUTSIDE."

I'm very fucking tempted to file an IA report about the scientist who said this for practically pretending to be the research director and bossing other scientists around while being incredibly selfish and an absolute dick when it came to materials, but I don't think there is an IA checkbox for "Wicked Cunt".

• 2 weeks later...

Working with CCIA on something for this.

We've actually already had the chance to review this over the last couple of weeks. Right now it looks like there may be changes to some of the wording, but nothing that broadly changes the intention of the directive. People are already allowed to distribute things from the lab as long as they've been authorized for release and aren't breaking other regulations, and the directive isn't clear on that point. The directive is, however, responsible for covering more than just RnD, and needs to reasonably address the worst-case scenario behavior that doesn't break OOC rules. I believe some sort of command oversight should still realistically be in place.

Draft coming soon