[CANCELLED] Dionaea: More Civil

To balance my wanting to restrict Dionaea from being played as Officers in another thread, I would like to give Dionae the ability to play as Head of Personnel.

Now, Dionae are able to play as every civilian role and do very well at it. The position focuses on social skills and the ability to coordinate the civilian services department, making sure that their department is running smoothly and able to support the rest of the station as it's backbone- cargo and food-related posts are very important to keep the station running as well as mining, so if the Civilian department is, so should the rest. A wel-fed, well-supplied station is a happy station. Now as I stated before, Dionae are more than capable of preforming civilian positions: able to live for thousands of years and quickly gather knowledge for occupations in a department that are simpler in comparison to the rest, additional education to lead those occupations and learning of financials, interviewing applicants, etc should be a reasonable and achievable next step. On top of that, they are a species whose entire existence is not just based off of their high learning and intelligence capabilities that can be used to make excellent reasoning and decisions, they are also the definition of complex symbiosis. In a Gestalt, each nymph works with one another to coordinate a single form up into the millions and beyond, and by applying social knowledge and training that one could learn, could easily work as a team with other species and coordinate with them as they already display. Additionally, HoPs don't do much other than walk around and inspect/interact with the departments, see if everything is up to par and making sure everyone is happy with both the people and equipment, there's also a lot of paperwork... which quite frankly is everything a Dionae is definitely capable of preforming like their other head roles and allow them OOCly an excellent RP role.

Edit: This is a species whitelist role addition request.

Edited by Guest
  • 2 weeks later...

I’d argue that the collective psyche of a bunch of sub-organisms that has no sexual identity, a poor understanding of sentient indaviduality, and a lack of understanding of socially normative behaviours for different species would make a poor choice for the head of personnel.

If the counter argument is that only super special well adjusted Dionaea would take the HoP slot then I see it as a slow moving, less effective human.

I was going to write about how the head of staff responsible for handling personnel and personnel-oriented affairs should be able to sympathize and connect on a human level, but Icuris already managed to do that.

They lack the humanity to handle a role which requires, arguably the most of it. Or second most, below le captain.

I'm a great supporter of removing Dionaea from security roles because I still believe we shouldn't have made them non-pacifistic. But this I really can't support, for a number of reasons:

• Nanotrasen is a racist-ass company. These damn treepeople are secretive as shit, live in ecosystems made of themselves hurdling through space, and digest peoples genetic code for breakfast. They're shady as fuck.
  • Followup, they're also the second lowest race on the playable-crew tiers, only above vaurca. Doing this will mean there's only ONE race that can't be all heads of staff but Head of Security, Internal Affairs Agent, and Captain.
  • Dionaea don't write stuff down naturally. They absorb limitless information into their own forms through memory alone. Sure, a dionaea could learn how to do it, but it just seems really weird to allow dionaea to take a role literally contrary to one of their more interesting racial traits.
  • As noted, dionaea don't have the HR skills required. If they're not acting in an explicitly alien manner, they're not playing the species right. They can lead departments due to their extreme skills in whatever department they're leading, perhaps even exemplary leadership in said field - but not due to their relatability. The wiki even notes how rare it is for a dionaea to have a customer service role ("a Biesel bar even boasting an occasional Dionae bartending experience").
  • Dionaea wiped out the entire crew of the DSS Ophion. Then ate the crew to absorb their genetic code. On the second discovery. A small portion of a gestalt fell onto a planet and consumed the entire thing. It eats the corpses of the deceased to fuel its knowledge. These aliens are fucking SCARY, not the cute tree-things that we make them out to be. Even Skrell canonically keep tabs on them to ensure the destruction of larger gestalts should they prove too dangerous.

Dionaea are creepy crawly aliens who eat organic matter in order to absorb it. They're enigmatic: untrusted, for good reason. Recent changes have made them less alien and more just tough green humans. Don't give them even more humanity.

Finally, some good replies!

Now, this was to try to push for something that Dionae players wanted, and I figured, "why not?" However, some excellent points were brought up. NT's greediness, racism, and Dionae behavior. We need a little conflict here and there- not everyone can be buddy-buddy with the other species, especially with the creepy ones like Dionae. The first two, I do not have to explain, however I had to re-evaluate the specie's behavior a bit.

I feel that Dionae should be able to feel at least some core emotions- ones such as fear help further an organism's survival by making them flee in fear from a danger for self-preservation. The others should make them act a little distant, and more complex ones more of an enigma that would cause a bit of curious head-tilting. It would be possible to maybe at least simulate more emotions the more they learn about them- much like how real-life individuals with behavioral disorders can; psycho and sociopaths, for one. They can handle working with people like those with the disorders/disabilities, but because it is known that they all have the same inability, it may be frowned upon for them to be in such a position. But I do agree that I must re-establish their behavior better, and set a standard for acceptable variations to follow.

I will be withdrawing this suggestion now. Thank you all for posting feedback, it is very much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...