On finding a couple xenobotany genes..

Doggie666

Question

PSA in advance this is a lot of questions. Anything you know would help me a lot!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/452903329270464533/452919035898757162/unknown.png

Okay, so I typically use berries and glowshrooms to find my genes. This is what I get when I'm done.

I know phenomenal can be found from bluespace and other mutations; that's fine.

Here are my problem genes:

Biochemistry:When running all of the fruit of the remaining genes under the plant analyzer, I don't see the additional reagents that the glowshroom would have added if the gene was transferred. Would I need to put the fruit in the grinder to see the change? (Although this doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't the analyzer just show it? Should I splice something besides the berry?)

Metabolism:According to the wiki, it says "whether the plant requires water or fertilizer. Whether it alters the ambient temperature." This is super similar to diet, which shows how MUCH water and fertilizer plants need! What plants can affect ambient temperature? Is this a mutation? What would it look like under the analyzer to show the change?

I've gotten this from a strange plant before:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448919723845877761/453294358360489994/unknown.png

The plant uses very little water, and there's an absence of an indication that it would need fertilizer. Is this a deviating metabolism gene? If so, can I just get it from a mutation and not an exotic plant? It's a common misconception that mushrooms do not need water. Or if they do not, the plant analyzer says they do. Mushrooms can find diet genes, but I do not know how they would display a metabolism gene, and if they can, which ones would.

Atmosphere:" The plant's tolerance for changes in temperature and pressure away from its preferred levels." How do I test for this? Does it involve the heating and cooling machines on the temperature-controlled trays? Is there an easier way than that?

It just feels super weird scratching my head at trying to complete the genome.

zeno.png.89e523460c67a14661a481de7369ccc1.png

1 answer to this question

Hello, Doggie! There is finally something I know how to do being asked in the questions subforum. Hooray! Now, onto the questions and answers.

Biochemistry:When running all of the fruit of the remaining genes under the plant analyzer, I don't see the additional reagents that the glowshroom would have added if the gene was transferred. Would I need to put the fruit in the grinder to see the change? (Although this doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't the analyzer just show it? Should I splice something besides the berry?)

Biochemistry is fairly easy to look for once you know what you are supposed to be looking for. First of all, you DON'T have to grind anything up. The only way the additional reagents you added in will show is if you analyze the fruit. But fear not, as you are definitely capable of identifying it through the seeds! What you need to look for is the endurance and potency. Because biochemistry works by adding in another reagent, but also lowering those two values, it will be easy to see that the gene added in was biochemistry. The potency and endurance values typically change to odd decimal numbers.

Metabolism:According to the wiki, it says "whether the plant requires water or fertilizer. Whether it alters the ambient temperature." This is super similar to diet, which shows how MUCH water and fertilizer plants need! What plants can affect ambient temperature? Is this a mutation? What would it look like under the analyzer to show the change?

I've gotten this from a strange plant before:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448919723845877761/453294358360489994/unknown.png

The plant uses very little water, and there's an absence of an indication that it would need fertilizer. Is this a deviating metabolism gene? If so, can I just get it from a mutation and not an exotic plant? It's a common misconception that mushrooms do not need water. Or if they do not, the plant analyzer says they do. Mushrooms can find diet genes, but I do not know how they would display a metabolism gene, and if they can, which ones would.

So, metabolism is either a "yes/no." This shows up on your analyzer as no text specifying any amount of water/nutrient fluid, if you have the gene coding for that trait in the plant. In contrast, diet only works if the answer to metabolism is a "yes," in which case the plant will have anything between "very little" to "very large amount of water."(in the case of fertilizer, it will say anything from ""very light supply" to "very heavy supply of nutrient fluid.") This is going to come mostly from strange plants, but rarely as a mutation as well. Now, as for affecting the ambient temperature, I have only seen such a thing in strange plant seeds. Even then, this is rare. I believe it CAN be mutated, but I have never gotten it as a mutation.

Atmosphere:" The plant's tolerance for changes in temperature and pressure away from its preferred levels." How do I test for this? Does it involve the heating and cooling machines on the temperature-controlled trays? Is there an easier way than that?

The analyzer will tell you that the plant is sensitive to changes in temperature/pressure away from its preferences, and also if it is sensitive to sudden changes in those factors. You do not need to use the gas heating/cooling machines. I have found these exclusively in strange plants, and none of the plants in storage have them. I have never found this as a mutation, though it may be possible.

It just feels super weird scratching my head at trying to complete the genome.

It often does feel weird when first starting to mess around in the xenoflora lab. I do have a couple tips that I could give you:
  • Always use kois or glowshrooms in your quest to unmask all of the genes. They are the most odd of the plants you start off with.
  • Do not stress if you are taking too long to complete the gene mapping sheet. This can take up to an hour, though you get better as you do more xenobotany.
  • Similarly, do not stress about finding them all at once. You can switch between this and more fun parts of xenobotany, and taking breaks to give some superior seeds to hydroponics is really something you should do.
  • Ask the RD and rest of the department for guidance if you feel like you aren't being productive. They know what the department needs in their respective parts of research.
  • Also ask other departments if they need things from time to time, particularly the civilian and medical departments. Gardeners appreciate beneficial genes in crop plants, and medical could need some hard-to-get reagents, like phoron. Even engineering can benefit from some odd reagents you might find in your crops.
  • It's all worth it in the end when you make some disastrous spiky bananas that explode and whisk the cops away via bluespace. Evil laughing.

Hope this helped!

Other people, please correct me if I'm wrong on anything.