How do you roleplay across sessions?

Nanako

Question

For a while now, i've been playing one character. Gradually building relationships with people. I started getting particularly close to one person.

And then last shift, he turned out to be an antagonist, and murdered someone. I handed his confession into security and thus ensured his arrest for being a syndicate member. This typically leads to execution.

Now i really have no idea what to do, or how this should affect our budding relationship

Do you typically roleplay across sessions? I've seen a couple of crewmembers that are siblings or spouses, it's obvious they do. And if you don't, two hours doesn't seem much to build any kind of meaningful connection with someone.

Do you just pretend antag rounds never happened?

I'm feeling pretty lost here, i could do with advice

Guest Menown

I prefer to ignore everybody. The less people that know intricate details about my characters, the easier it is for me to force retcons of their past and change aspects without anybody noticing.

Typically, antag rounds are considered uncanon for the purpose of 'This isnt properly in character or something that could have actually happened if this character still exists'. Alot of us do some form of off-station RP in one form or another; I tend to poke other people to say 'Hey, XXX did YYY with ZZZ right? Cool.'

Alot of us do some form of off-station RP in one form or another; I tend to poke other people to say 'Hey, XXX did YYY with ZZZ right? Cool.'

Yep. You can ERP in peace off station as well.

Alot of us do some form of off-station RP in one form or another; I tend to poke other people to say 'Hey, XXX did YYY with ZZZ right? Cool.'

Yep. You can ERP in peace off station as well.

Yes. Plenty of ERP there.

Katana x Centurion

Ariana x Chance

Ziva x Every male zhan khazaan she meets

OKAY

So.

Any extended round and everything in it (non-event) can be remembered as "Canon" to your characters.

Any non-antag interaction in an Antag round can be remembered as "Canon" to your character. I.E. If Bob the antag tells you he kills people for a living you CANNOT remember that, but if you have a conversation with Sally the doctor in that same round that involves cookies and other non-antag things you CAN remember that

Beside that, there are special "Canon" rounds where EVERYTHING in them is canon including antag actions. These make actual differences in the universe and will affect the lore.

OKAY

So.

Any extended round and everything in it (non-event) can be remembered as "Canon" to your characters.

Any non-antag interaction in an Antag round can be remembered as "Canon" to your character. I.E. If Bob the antag tells you he kills people for a living you CANNOT remember that, but if you have a conversation with Sally the doctor in that same round that involves cookies and other non-antag things you CAN remember that

Beside that, there are special "Canon" rounds where EVERYTHING in them is canon including antag actions. These make actual differences in the universe and will affect the lore.

Ameen to that sister

I once canonized a round where my character's love interest stole his revolver and shot the captain, as an antag. My character lost his job, but for the LI, it was non-canon. So, there is that. I'm guessing you can canonize stuff that happens as long as you don't directly reference things that aren't remembered, such as the Captain's name or who the LI was. More vague you keep the event, the more you can canonize.

What I like to do is allude to antag rounds in daft ways

Like, after this one cult round where Dave Duran got killed by Alex Toner, got cloned, and lusted for revenge, he said to Alex; "I had the weirdest dream last night. Dreamt you'd murdered me, and I came back from the dead to get vengeance"

What I like to do is allude to antag rounds in daft ways

Like, after this one cult round where Dave Duran got killed by Alex Toner, got cloned, and lusted for revenge, he said to Alex; "I had the weirdest dream last night. Dreamt you'd murdered me, and I came back from the dead to get vengeance"

That's how I tend to handle antagonist rounds if something involves a character close to mine.

this thread came to mind today, after a crewmember attempted suicide twice during an Extended shift. It was so interesting, I even ended up writing an incident report about it. http://aurorastation.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=5467

I don't think he realizes, there's an airlock at departures he can jump in iso he can not waste our time.

I kinda get the impression that wasn't the intent. It's roleplaying!

there's a suicide command if you really just want to die.

Maybe he wanted to see you, RPing a crazy person could be interesting, and there aren't that many oopportunities to change someone's mental status in the medical records

I'm not entirely clear on whether the incident is considered canon or not

this thread came to mind today, after a crewmember attempted suicide twice during an Extended shift. It was so interesting, I even ended up writing an incident report about it. http://aurorastation.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=5467

I don't think he realizes, there's an airlock at departures he can jump in iso he can not waste our time.

I kinda get the impression that wasn't the intent. It's roleplaying!

there's a suicide command if you really just want to die.

Maybe he wanted to see you, RPing a crazy person could be interesting, and there aren't that many oopportunities to change someone's mental status in the medical records

I'm not entirely clear on whether the incident is considered canon or not

Suicide is not allowed unless your character has a good enough reason. And you also need to ahelp before doing it.

Suicide is not allowed unless your character has a good enough reason. And you also need to ahelp before doing it.

Suicide verb also only works if you're an antagonist, otherwise it just pings admins that you tried to use it.

People just attacking themselves until suicide is what I'm talking about.

This is a thing. One time, back when I first got my head whitelist, a skeleton was found in the showers. OOCly I thought it was a ling, but ICly I pressed for an autopsy and discovered the method of death was wrenching the shower go be burning hot, and standing there burning themselves to death.

As far as continuity of events between rounds, it's been pretty well laid out. I mostly just entered this thread to share a (funny?) Suicide story. The uncanon nature of being an antagonist can be really liberating for roleplay, but I like that everything else unrelated is canon.

Suicide verb also only works if you're an antagonist, otherwise it just pings admins that you tried to use it.

Is that even possible? You fall unconscious long before you die.

Maybe if you do it in an isolated place so nobody ever finds you, and wait to slowly bleed out. But then who are you griefing? You're hurting nobody, you might as well just leave the server for all the impact your suicide will have

Oh goodness, I applied to the forums to ask exactly this question. I've been hopping into each round with the same character at flat zero each time because I wasn't sure if people did the same thing.

Then I saw someone talk to some who'd just joined as if they knew each other, and referenced things that had happened in previous rounds, so I guess it's the done thing to build long-term relationships?