Visitor Clarification

UnknownMurder

Question

Okay. Let's do this scenario.

Captain James Kirk is often remembered as being Captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise. One shift, the role is taken by Captain Picard or is empty. Captain Kirk chooses to spawn as a visitor of the Enterprise. Can this Captain Kirk be remembered or looked up to as a Captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise when there is existing or no Captain?

I would like to put in my bets to "NO" since they shouldn't board the station and quickly change their mind. If they want to board as a Command, they board as a Command.

Visitor is mostly "I'm off duty...So...Yeah, have fun with that." and your payment won't be logged even if you changed your mind wanting to be... I don't know, a Janitor?

13 answers to this question

The thing to remember is, characters are people, not just a job with a nametag on it.

We have people with multiple skillsets who jobhop as necessary, and thats fine, it helps add more lore to the world. We have a personnel department for reassigning people to validate this aspect

To take a position as a captain means you've got the necessary work experience and qualifications with NT, passed the necessary psych evals and management courses, and been selected from among a vast pool of applicants as one of the few chosen elite to be given that level of security clearance.

Like with military and research things in real life, security clearance comes with permanant obligations. You can't just go home at the end of the day and tell all your friends about the top secret technology your subordinates are working on. Being in a position of that kind of power is a major choice and it impacts more of your life than the time you spend in the office. If you get to that point then you should, and realistically would. have that clearance as long as your contract lasts, including the authority to take command if the situation calls for it, even when you're off duty

The problem i see, and this is a technical problem, is that loyalty implants are given upon spawning as a job.

I think it should be made so that loyalty implants are chosen in character creation, and you're blocked from spawning in jobs that require them, if you don't have it. Being implanted should ICly be a semipermanant thing, it might be removed when your employment with NT ends, but it's not going to be removed at the end of every shift or on weekends

Personally i'd say we should have a houserule that any character who is normally captain/HoS/IAA, should act as if their loyalty implant is always there, and should ahelp to opt-out and be replaced, if chosen as antag

I would say they would be expected to remain off duty, unless a crisis happens where their specific talent is needed.

For example, say Chief Engineer Jane comes to the station, off duty. But no one is setting up power. She can get herself promoted to her job, set up power, and then go back to being off-duty. Odin would receive a log that so-and-so had been temporarily given a job, and they'd get a nice little off-duty bonus for their work.

From what I get, you're thinking this scenario: let's say CE Jane wanted to be CE that shift, but the job was already taken by John. John saw what was happening, went, "Oh eff no, I don't wanna be head," and goes into cryo. Few minutes later, no CE for the station, and the position Jane really wanted to play, is empty. But she's already ingame as a visitor, and would have to wait an entire half hour and miss out on fun shenanigangs to come on as CE. A bit of a jerk move on John's part, and he denied Jane from the role she wanted. It's even worse when the role you wanted to play was taken up by someone who doesn't want to play, and they don't even have the decency to cryo. They just go SSD and keep the slot occupied. (That initiates a head-ban, but it happens in slot-limited roles too).

It's about gaming etiquette. One incident I so vividly recall was when a cult round was voted, and I truly wanted to play my chaplain. But some random snagged the role, and just logged off in the office. Quite a jerk move, if they had done that specifically to job-lock me out of the slot I wanted. HoP was nice enough to switch my job to chaplain.

HoPs are there to fix up tiny issues like that IC-wise, because we don't have the mechanics to do so. I don't see what's wrong with a visitor going OOC: "Hey, I really wanted to be officer/chaplain/Head of Staff and this guy just SSDed/Cryoed at roundstart. Can you give me the slot I really really wanted to play?" Every effort should be made to get the slot legitimately, yes, and if someone else grabbed it and played it, then the other player will just have to suck it up.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

A visitor is not meant to be someone that's off-duty, but who 'can totally jump into the captain role guys'. It's meant to not be an employee of Nanotrasen. It's for you to board as characters specifically to not be involved with the affairs of the station as an employee. You're supposed to be some smuck that got to visit the station. Of course I don't think anyone particularly cares if you come as a visitor if you're just a surgeon or a janitor, but you're not getting paid that shift.

What irks me isn't regular joes doing it, because we can just skirt over that, but command characters joining as visitors and expecting to be treated like Command. It's incredibly pretentious to board as a visitor then start bossing people around. I never recognize a visitor's presumed authority over me. One particular stood behind security as we were dealing with antagonists and kept shouting orders and asking for a gun, so I flashed him and dragged him off.

Joining as a visitor should rule you out of being any other role on the station. That is it's entire point; you're a guest. If you want to participate as a crew member you should join as an assistant or intern or some other low-rung role where you can relax.

Simply smack around those that abuse the mechanic to be visitor-Command, where they get all the authority and respect with none of the responsibility!!! B^)

But that relies on us all ahelping more.

What irks me isn't regular joes doing it, because we can just skirt over that, but command characters joining as visitors and expecting to be treated like Command. It's incredibly pretentious to board as a visitor then start bossing people around. I never recognize a visitor's presumed authority over me. One particular stood behind security as we were dealing with antagonists and kept shouting orders and asking for a gun, so I flashed him and dragged him off.

If people actually do this then that's dumb. I see visitor either as an RP tool, or as the IC equivalent of an observer. The most 'authority' any visitor has is bitching at Command when you're in danger from something or another because it'd be bad press if a civilian got fucked up on NT property and noone helped them.

Captain James Kirk is often remembered as being Captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise. One shift, the role is taken by Captain Picard or is empty. Captain Kirk chooses to spawn as a visitor of the Enterprise. Can this Captain Kirk be remembered or looked up to as a Captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise when there is existing or no Captain?

Well obviously Kirk would be an Admiral if he was just a visitor and would take control for something or another, or the plotline would involve the one who's taken over fucking up and everyone would instate Kirk as Captain for the immediate emergency situation. Kirk isn't the best example for this kind of thing if you've seen the first Star Trek movie, or pretty much any Star Trek movie with Kirk for that matter.

Visitor is the new assistant.

My only (captain) character absolutely loves to spend entire shifts on-station as a visitor. It's not like my character is supposed to work there, or earn money. And I can't play any other character, obviously.

That's dumb, and every 'regular joe' who does exactly this should hang himself.

Using your Star Trek examples.. I recall a set of episodes from The Next Generation where Scotty (The previous chief engineer for the Enterprise), and Kirk (The previous captain of the Enterprise) were on the ship while Picard was in command. While their expertise and knowledge may have been referenced and been useful to the crew, neither of them took any form of actual command aboard the Enterprise despite having served command roles and still holding their ranks. So based on that, a visitor would just be a visiting command staff who is not on-duty and is not there to server under a command role for that shift.

There's nothing wrong with coming on station (or out of Cryo) as a visitor, just understand that you have no rank. Saying you shouldn't join as a visitor as a regular joe is the dumbest elitest shit considering we all BTFO the last person to request an off duty title with "JUST GO VISITOR RETARD".

Some people may be visiting for the bar, restaurant and leasure facilities. Others might just be spending a month based on station so are just off duty.

There's nothing wrong with coming on station (or out of Cryo) as a visitor, just understand that you have no rank. Saying you shouldn't join as a visitor as a regular joe is the dumbest elitest shit considering we all BTFO the last person to request an off duty title with "JUST GO VISITOR RETARD".

This, completely. You misspelt elitist by the way.

To respond to UMs original thing about visitor off duty captains, the chain of command and station directives specifically prohibit any acting/interim Head from taking Interim Captain. This means that if you do not join as a Head , YOU CANNOT BE CAPTAIN, REGARDLESS OF YOUR MAIN JOB MOST OF THE TIME.

The most you could do is ask the current Captain or Heads for information on current issues because you have the clearance levels to access information 24/7. Still their decision to refuse or not.

Some people may be visiting for the bar, restaurant and leasure facilities. Others might just be spending a month based on station so are just off duty.

This.

This is correct.

This is how it works.