Deadhour handcuff procedure

I was originally going to put this in the secret Head of Staff forum for Heads of Security's but I may as well edit and put it here.

So I've noticed that essentially no officer on deadhour knows how handcuffing procedure works.

If anyone cares to play Head of Security at that hour they will probably see what I mean, and I hope someone'll be inclined to educate the masses with authority.

For those not in the know, you are not meant to cuff someone unless they are resisting arrest.

Arrests should go like: Tell guy they are being detained because of x charge>Ask him to come to security>guy says yes and comes

Otherwise:Tell guy they are being detained because of x charge>ask him to come to security>guy refuses>State you'll use force to make him come>use force when he doesn't>cuff>drag him to sec>charge with resisting arrest

As opposed to walking up to the guy, cuffing him, and dragging him off.

While the explicit instruction not to handcuff compliant detainees isn't spelled out on the regs page (since it's a list of crimes, more than it is a security guide), the Corporate Regulations page does indicate under i202 Resisting Arrest that the refusal of handcuffs (implying a detainee can do this) does not qualify as resisting arrest. Handcuffs are also considered a 'use of force,' and in i116 Excessive Use of Force in Detainment, it is mentioned that using force 'against a compliant suspect' is an example of that violation.

Also, in the Guide to Security for our server, under arrest procedure, attempting to handcuff is first mentioned only after a subject refuses to surrender peacefully.

Edited by Guest

While the explicit instruction not to handcuff compliant detainees isn't spelled out on the regs page (since it's a list of crimes, more than it is a security guide), the Corporate Regulations page does indicate under i202 Resisting Arrest that the refusal of handcuffs (implying a detainee can do this) does not qualify as resisting arrest. Handcuffs are also considered a 'use of force,' and in i116 Excessive Use of Force in Detainment, it is mentioned that using force 'against a compliant suspect' is an example of that violation.

Also, in the Guide to Security for our server, under arrest procedure, attempting to handcuff is first mentioned only after a subject refuses to surrender peacefully.

This

Well this is just wrong. Have any of you ever been arrested IRL? Even when everything is cool, you're compliant, and there's no violent crime they STILL CUFF YOU. And I'm sure if you said "no thanks, I don't want to be cuffed, just arrest me as I am" and then moved away when they tried to cuff you anyway, that WOULD be resisting arrest, though I don't know this from experience as I never was that stupid.

Why? Because it's procedure. To the point where in some places if a cop gives you a ride in the back of his car he has to cuff you because he's not allowed to have non-cuffed people back there for bureaucratic safety reasons.

Now cops on aurora don't have cars to put people in the back of, but they do turn their back on prisoners and lead them through the hallways, which is even less secure. And just because an arrest is peaceful and for something minor and nonviolent doesn't mean that a subsequent search isn't going to reveal them to be a corporate spy, syndicate sleeper agent, or some other form of dangerous criminal who was just pretending to cooperate until they saw their chance to escape.

Seeing as there's no profit in taking a chance, and aside from being a little rude there's no harm in cuffing someone, the logical policy would be to always cuff anyone being arrested. This isn't badsec, this is realsec.

Well this is just wrong. Have any of you ever been arrested IRL? Even when everything is cool, you're compliant, and there's no violent crime they STILL CUFF YOU. And I'm sure if you said "no thanks, I don't want to be cuffed, just arrest me as I am" and then moved away when they tried to cuff you anyway, that WOULD be resisting arrest, though I don't know this from experience as I never was that stupid.

Why? Because it's procedure. To the point where in some places if a cop gives you a ride in the back of his car he has to cuff you because he's not allowed to have non-cuffed people back there for bureaucratic safety reasons.

Now cops on aurora don't have cars to put people in the back of, but they do turn their back on prisoners and lead them through the hallways, which is even less secure. And just because an arrest is peaceful and for something minor and nonviolent doesn't mean that a subsequent search isn't going to reveal them to be a corporate spy, syndicate sleeper agent, or some other form of dangerous criminal who was just pretending to cooperate until they saw their chance to escape.

Seeing as there's no profit in taking a chance, and aside from being a little rude there's no harm in cuffing someone, the logical policy would be to always cuff anyone being arrested. This isn't badsec, this is realsec.

This depends solely on what country you're talking about. You seem to be talking about the USA, so i'll concede you are Very right about the procedures, but i'm going to point out that the Aurora is more like a workplace, and less like a country. Security in the USA can't do anything CLOSE to what you're talking about, or that you can do on the Aurora. Security isn't a Police force, even if they are equipped similarly. They are Security officers. What makes sense for public safety doesn't always make sense in a Corporate workplace.

That is why you are wrong about this. It even says this in the rules, it specifically says your goal as Security is to defend Corporate property, not to arrest the Antagonist. This was just used as an example, though.

"For example, as security, during a traitor round, your goal is not to catch traitors, but ensure the safety of the station and provide assistance as needed." Not much proof, but it does weight it in the direction i'm speaking of.

Deadhour Sec in general usually has problems. I once had a Security Officer (I was a Cadet) who didn't know how to charge people with the Computer. I can't really blame him, except that he was an Officer. It's just people trying out Security in a less stressful environment, I guess.

Lets not make caveats for factors beyond anyone's ability to control thanks. It's a slippery slope that is just best avoided. No one can control deadhourness and no rules or regulations IC or OOC should be amended because of it.

This is all something you should be doing anyways, deadhour or not, I'm just pointing out that no one actually does it on deadhour, rather than saying something needs to be amended or such.

I don't really know what times are considered dead hours for Aurora. I find when I'm usually playing, and end up dealing with sec, they always whip out the cuffs on you. This varies though, even with HoS in the round, as even they treat cuffing differently when playing.

I don't really know what times are considered dead hours for Aurora. I find when I'm usually playing, and end up dealing with sec, they always whip out the cuffs on you. This varies though, even with HoS in the round, as even they treat cuffing differently when playing.

IIRC Lillith does indeed show up on dead hour, 12 a.m. UTC ends up having a lot more players compared to 6 p.m. or 1 a.m.

Is excessive force and being left in the brig for waaay longer than intended an ahelpable thing?

It varies, if excessive force is "beating your head in even when you didn't do anything violent", it is ahelpable, if security is leaving you to stew in the brig for the rest of the round, it is also ahelpable.

There's generally a line where you go from telling an IAA/nearest boss person to ahelping with this sort of thing.