Skrell Lore Deputy - OPEN

Loow

Hi there. Loow here.

A while ago, someone with a distinctive avatar commented that certain leadership traits and actions might be more conducive to effective lore-work. At the time, I thought little of it. Now, I think they might have had a point. I’ve kept quite a few other bits of feedback in mind, too. Seeing how people in the community have reacted to Mofo’s opinions on Deputies also provided a bit of useful feedback.

If you’re reading this, then you’ve likely heard that Mofo had in the past opened up applications for Tajara Lore Deputy positions. I’d like to take this moment to say that applying for Skrell Lore Deputy will, at least in this run, be a bit different.

If you think you...

• have a sincere interest in Skrell and Aurora lore

• can handle and dish out feedback

• would enjoy writing

...then I encourage you to apply!

The Application Process:

The hope is to encourage application in those who have:

1. The will to put their spare time into lore. 2. Some degree of confidence in their writing ability. 3. A passion for lore, world-building, and, of course, the Skrell.

Keep in mind, you do not have to go through the entire process in one sitting. I often find that writing works well when I write down my thoughts, revisit ideas and written-work, and contribute toward a work’s completion gradually.

Remember that completing the Application Process for Skrell Lore Deputy does NOT guarantee that you will receive a position as a Lore Deputy. I will be taking time to review applications.

The Application:

What is your ckey?
Can you be contacted through discord?
What is your timezone and what are your most active hours?
Would you be able to discuss Lore and Lore-work a minimum of once a week?
Do you have any previous writing experience?
Which of the following best represents your age group:
A. 0 - 13 years old.
B. 14 - 19 years old
C. 20 - 26 years old
D. 27 - 45 years old
E. 46 +
What whitelists do you currently possess on Aurora Station?
Have you ever been banned from Aurora Station?
Have you ever had a whitelist stripped on Aurora Station?
What’s your most active character?

Is there anything you would like the reader to keep in mind while reading your Application for Skrell Lore Deputy?

[b]Pick [u]any 5 of the following 10[/u][/b] topics. Please answer your chosen 5 with a minimum of [b]50 words[/b] each. (250 words maximum. If you would like to go more in-depth, consider using one of these topics as your prompt for the Optional 3-page Essay.)

1.	Do you play Skrell on the station? Who are they and what do you enjoy about them and their time on the station?
2.	Skrell have a different perspective on Males and Females than Humans traditionally do. As a deputy, what would you do to illustrate this societal difference?
3.	What do you wish you saw more of in Skrell RP on the station?
4.	Skrell and Synthetics have a very unique relationship. How do you feel about it?
5.	Skrell and Dionae have a very unique relationship. How do you feel about it?
6.	Skrell and Humanity have a very unique relationship. How do you feel about it?
7.	Skrell and Unathi have a very unique relationship. How do you feel about it?
8.	Skrell and Vaurcae have a very unique relationship. How do you feel about it?
9.	Skrell and Tajara have a very unique relationship. How do you feel about it?
10.	What sort of things do you like seeing in a News Article? How would you approach writing News Articles for Aurora Station Lore?

[b]All of the following topics[/b] should be answered with a [b]minimum of 20 words[/b] each. (150 words maximum. If you would like to go more in-depth, consider using one of these topics as your prompt for the Optional 3-page Essay.)
1.	How do you feel about the Tup Commandos, Director of Tup Forces Qroisht Tup, and the historical characters with the surname “Tup”?
2.	How do you feel about Glorsh? 
3.	What is your view on Skrell language and its use on the station?
4.	What would you like to portray in lore as a Skrell Lore Deputy?
5.	Do you have any gripes, comments, or concerns regarding the lore and/or the Skrell?

Optional 3-Page Essay:

Tajara Overseer Mofo1995 recently opened applications for prospective Tajara Lore Deputies. He gave his applicants the chance to write a 3 page essay on any topic of Tajara lore which interested them. I would like to give applicants for Skrell Lore Deputy a similar opportunity.

If you wish, you may include a 3-page essay with your application. The following is a slightly edited quote with Mofo’s thoughts and reasoning. They are relevant here.

“Hello everyone!

After sitting on it for awhile and watching from afar how deputies have served the other lore devs, with mixed results ranging from inactive to quality, I have decided to open Tajara lore deputy applications. But I'm not really interested in seeing a lore developer application. I think, as it currently stands, the lore developer application format mostly works like a whitelist application of sorts, it gives some basics but it can be guessed through somewhat easily. So, although it started out as a joke between friends, I realistically came to one conclusion about an application format which would let me determine an applicant's' writing skills, level of interest, understanding, and commitment. An essay. The formatting is that it must be three pages long, 12 pt font, single or double spaced, depending on how much content you want to fit in. Any font type is welcome so long as the essay is in English and is legible (no wingdings, please. Comic sans acceptable if you really have to.)

Essay Prompt:

ANYTHING SKRELL LORE RELATED. What do you like about the Skrell and why? What would be something intensive that you would canonize, but would also fit in with the current lore? What do you not like about the lore and why? A news article or arc of news articles. Anything.

Your essay should be coherent and follow one subject the whole way through, don't make it a piecemeal of the suggestions above. This is a test of writing abilities as well as lore understanding. If you decide to pick things you like, circlejerking lists for three pages will be denied. Same with dislike, demonstrating a deeper understanding of the lore which is great enough to be an actual developer for the lore is essential for anyone who would be my deputy, and therefore, possible replacement if I ever phase out of the community.

Essays can be sent to me over Discord or forum PM’s if you want it private for containing potential spoilers, or in this thread as a post if all are welcome to 'mire. Google docs welcome.

I will be accepting as many applicants as I feel pass the essay prompt, so there's a minimum of 0 and only a theoretical maximum. If I feel no one is good enough, I will keep applications open but the spots vacant.”

Note: The Optional Essay is, as the name suggests, optional. It is likely that such an essay would provide me with more insight into important things like the applicant’s interests, but it is not required. The essay, should you choose to write one, has a maximum length of 4 pages.

Frequently Asked Questions

How many people do I expect to apply?

I expect to get a minimum of one application and a maximum of five. Some people really enjoyed the chance to write an essay with the recent wave of apps for Tajara Deputy applications, and it seems like Mofo got some really nice feedback out of it along with some really helpful hands.

What if I answer one question “wrong” in the application process?

Worry more about sharing your own thoughts and opinions than giving the “correct” answer. Honest feedback will be better than saying what you think people want to hear.

Why are there so many questions on the app?

Good question. I believe that in choosing a Skrell Lore Deputy, I would end up asking the above questions. Regardless of if I put them all above in a list (which I have) or asked them through discussion in a thread, I would end up considering the listed topics and the applicant’s responses to them.

It is my hope that listing these topics will give anyone who wishes to apply a fighting chance. Everyone has access to this list of questions and topics. More than just these topics will factor into my decision, but this list is a good starting point. I hope listing these topics here helps applicants think critically and consider their own opinions on certain aspects of the lore.

I have kept certain bits of community feedback in mind while writing the “Application Process” for Skrell Lore Deputy. While I don’t think it’s perfect, I think it might bring a smile to those who wished for more even ground for potential Deputies. This guarantees that at least a few topics /will/ be brought up, and gives all of my applicants some ground to respond to similar questions.

Will I ask individual applicants different questions in addition to what is on the list?

Probably. I see this list of topics as a helpful “getting to know you” more than a rigid list of all there is to discuss on Skrell.

How many Skrell Lore Deputies will be chosen?

I am willing to continue on without any Deputies, so the minimum number is zero. Still, I'd much rather have one than not.

I, personally, don’t like the idea of jumping from having no Deputies to running a large team. Because of this, I don’t believe I would want more than three. With this in mind, the tentative maximum is three.

I believe it would be much easier to (train/groom/indoctrinate/assess) one Skrell Lore Deputy than three. With this in mind, I think it is very likely that only one Skrell Lore Deputy will be chosen.

Where do I send my application?

Applications can be sent to me via a PM on these forums. I personally think it would be in bad taste to post it publicly, as I would then worry about future applicants simply parroting what they see in the thread. However, you can post your application in this thread if you wish.

I, personally, treasure the concept of direct feedback. It’s an incredibly effective means of gauging how an individual feels regarding a chosen topic. I try to stress its importance whenever convenient. If you or anyone reading this has something they would like to say on this topic, then I’d love to hear any semi-relevant thoughts. I encourage discussion in this thread.

I encourage anyone with questions to take a look at Mofo’s thread on Tajara Deputy applications as well. Much of what he says is very, very relevant.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope to see some stellar applications.

• 2 weeks later...