Event Feedback: 08/06/2018 [Game ID: bUL-abEH]

Faris

Hello, this is for feedback regarding an event I made. I hope you enjoyed it and I do apologize for those that didn't.

The round similar to my other events was essentially free-form. I tried to provide hints and clues as to how to act, without artificially forcing anything to happen. I'll be obscure on some of the details since I intend to run it again, albeit differently

It started with announcements regarding carps, that was supposed to be a opener to the sequence. I had placed the location of a "boss" somewhat north of the armory. A person going EVA or going through maintenance might've seen the presence of carp in the area. As you'd approach the location you'd be able to see that the carp would be thinned down, gore and dead carp more prevalent until you hit its location.

For the station itself, the carp and even some sharks would've been "crazier", I even had one bit through the mental ward and land directly into medical reception. A few more incidents of them burrowing around, biting through areas to get deeper inside. I tried to emphasize them going more aggressive and disoriented, since this type of behavior is super uncommon. I also wanted to show that they may potentially be looking for things, such as the tainted zones.

As for the tainted zones, I had 4 preset locations of them. They'd progress in size and defenses which ranged from pylons to creatures. To defeat a tainted zone from expanding, you'd need to destroy the docile pylon. It wouldn't remove the taint, but it would stop anything hostile from spawning. The crew were required to only destroy 3/4 docile pylons, that's three tainted zones cleansed before the location would have been revealed courtesy of Central. I felt I put enough emphasis directly by narration, the spread of taint and CC announcements to showcase this.

I did a lot of spooks too, the crew saw a lot of creatures. Bodies suddenly falling from the sky, blood and gore, skeletons rapidly appearing and disappearing and all manner of stuff. I tried my best to avoid directly killing anyone, most of my efforts was to wound and scare. The only time I was fine with lethal intent was the evacuation attempt before the "boss" was taken out, where I sent two juggy's to destroy departures, but I noticed a lot of people sticking around, even though they were breaching in, which I felt wasn't even the most optimal route, that's where the only real casualties happened. Though I decided to let the pod people be. I felt I put enough emphasis that departures and the shuttle itself was not safe, but a few people disagreed, so I'll try to make it more apparent in the future, since it turned into a massacre.

Do give me advice, feedback and the sort. I do a lot of prep work for these events and on that basis don't do it often, so I get less experience hosting than my other staff, so every bit you post here counts. Do include bits you felt I did well and that you enjoyed, I can do more of that and put more effort into it as well.

I played the round as Lexicon, pAI to Nikit. Overall I had a positive experience with the event.

The strongest part in my opinion was the build-up and pacing. Starting up with the carp explosions got the crew riled up well, sec was investigating atmos and vents were being welded in science and medical. Things started off as very believable IC, and then gradually got weirder and weirder as the incidents were more frequent, and there was gnawing at the vents. The pacing carried out great from there, with the grue chasing people and the beginning of a general panic in the station.

The weakest part wasn't something that kept me from enjoying the event, but rather just something I dislike. In order to resolve the event, you needed to be a combat oriented character/role. Though you did an excellent job of interacting with the crew that wasn't engaging in combat (still throwing exploding corpses around, wounding instead of killing, etc). I just would like to see a department besides security be responsible for resolving a conflict, though I know that this is much easier said than done (after all, their job is conflict resolution). I don't think there's anything I'd have changed about this event specifically, but an idea to keep in the future.

Since as a pAI I don't really "do" anything, I want to stress again that it was the excellent pacing that made the round for me. From my perspective, there was a perfect flow of suspense, action, and downtime right up to the launch of the escape pods. Well done.

I personally felt it was fairly obvious what was being laid down involving the tainted areas (and departures not being safe, lmao), and that the pacing was fine, but I was fairly active being in engineering, between trying to seal breaches and breaking into things for security. Not exactly your fault. But I had a fairly good time pushing my luck against unholy whatever the fuck was chilling on the station as I was trying to make sure the station was still operational in some sense.

The ambiance was spot-on. The use of audio and such was so good and I really hope you consider doing something like this again.

It didn't seem very obvious about what was going on to those of us in cargo/service sectors, but rarely do events involve us as much as the other departments. That's more of an observation than a complaint, since by nature of the job, sec/med/engineering is going to be much more involved in Weird Shit Happenings. Overall I think a lot of us really enjoyed it, but we didn't have much idea about what exactly was going on. Which, again, happens.

Overall it was VERY different and VERY good, and the more you do this, the better they'll get, so I for one am looking forward to more of these.