SS13 Shower Thoughts

Conspiir

I crawled out of bed, struck with insomnia, and mind churning. So much of how I play is dictated by these random thoughts I have. We all perceive this world we play in differently. We all have beliefs ("headcanons" if you will) that aren't specifically written down anywhere but affect how we play as if they were. These could be bits of lore no one ever thought about, questions that remain unanswered through the void of time, how you view a character (yours or someone elses'), anything, really. Yes, I'm styling this as the confessions thread, but really I just want to hear your guys' SS13 shower thoughts.

Skrell can't speak sign language very well. Sign language is very facial-expression dependent, and the frogs can't express for shit. They might be able to come to understand it well enough, but no one would really ever understand what they mean if they can't show it on their faces.

Greytide assistants don't exist. They're just figments of our imagination from being in space too long.

Somewhere out there, there are Tajarans without tails. Whether this is due to accidents or ritualistic cult behavior...

I've never been able to come up with a word that's our equivalent of television. So I always go with holovids whenever I reference made-up pop culture.

The closest I've come to explaining the phenomena of "falling up" (i.e. falling into a hole in space on the 3rd level and ending up on the surface) is bluespace. I can't think of any physical reason why we can just fall off the edge of round asteroid, float through space, and end up on the other side. Or why there's holes in the ground of our asteroid that leads to space. Isn't gravity a thing?!

SPEAKING OF GRAVITY, why do we have a gravity generator when the asteroid has gravity enough to not allow us to float up? In building the station, we removed the gravity of the area and replaced it with our own generator that can break on occasion. God bless NanoTrasen.

What are some of yours?

The asteroid has some gravity. Notice how if you leap off the edge, you always come back to it, instead of drifting off forever? You just looped around in orbit.

How many people wake up from cryo to head to the shuttle back, just to wake up immediately after, the next shift, somehow in cryo? Do they have a cryo bed at home that tubes itself onto a shuttle that flies stationside to unload all the frozen people?

The whole schtick with permadeath doesn't make a lot of sense unless maybe cloning machines aren't all that advanced after all and require a fresh DNA reference less than two hours old?

Despite all the wooden plank constructions, Aurora does not have any hammers or nails

I mean, at least give us a nailgun

The elevator will crush you even if you're flying above it with a jetpack and it gently rises to right under your feet

Most rounds, there are more morgue trays than there are crew members. The implications of this are unsettling

Unathi have been met as a species 27 years ago, were obliterated in atomic warfare about 2 years after and rebuilt their entire civilization to the point of contending with humans in less than 20 years.

Humans can't get out of an economic collapse that happened about 200 years ago. And majority of humanity remembers universe without unathi yet it is rarely mentioned.

The fact that Space Walmart can sentence you (without trial, jury or court) to be turned into a robotic slave is way more terrifying than people aknowledge in-game.

The reason why rounds last only 2 hours, people get hungry so extremely fast and why plants grow so fast is because NT puts chemicals in their water.

alex-jones.jpg?itok=A1otMezw

Majority of crew on the station is below 30, yet people wonder why everyone acts immature.

Dionaea players are so rare because diona are really slow to arrive to work.

Jargon is 400 LY from Sol, so Skrell can probably hear 1900s human radio now. There are Skrell Elvis fans.

There is a team of angry janitors who aggressively clean and restore the station to its form no matter what the Engineers did to it last shift. They make a huge mess in maint.

That single drop of blood is always in virology because there is a guy who does coke down there and gets frequent nosebleeds. Also, someone must be cleaning the monkeys out of the pit the viro disposals lead to. Why, though.

A lot of our coworkers disappear when their player stops playing, and we never ask questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Skrell become addicted to things faster, but have an easier time breaking the addiction if they really put their mind to it.

What sort of organism evolves in space? No organism. How do space carp exist? They must've evolved on a planet somewhere and made their way outward. Where is space carp planet and how do I sign up to never go there?

KAs are effective when use outside and less effective inside. How is a kinetic accelerator, which likely works on the acceleration of particles, less effective when there is more particles (such as air) you ask? WELL. Turns out, it works best when there's few particles to accelerate because they can go further without being stopped or slowed by running into other particles! Those few particles in space SLAM into those rocks like champs after being sucked into the KA and shot out all at once.

Skrell become addicted to things faster, but have an easier time breaking the addiction if they really put their mind to it.

What sort of organism evolves in space? No organism. How do space carp exist? They must've evolved on a planet somewhere and made their way outward. Where is space carp planet and how do I sign up to never go there?

KAs are effective when use outside and less effective inside. How is a kinetic accelerator, which likely works on the acceleration of particles, less effective when there is more particles (such as air) you ask? WELL. Turns out, it works best when there's few particles to accelerate because they can go further without being stopped or slowed by running into other particles! Those few particles in space SLAM into those rocks like champs after being sucked into the KA and shot out all at once.

Space Carp were bioengineered as weapons, broke containment and here they are.

Dominia were turned into a functioning empire by unathi pirates within the span of 27 years.

Space safety procedures are really, really lax.

Spiders can't survive in a vacuum, and are killed every time they show up, so how do they get onto the station in the first place?

Why have we never been on the ship that keeps losing it's drones.

At some point someone probably had to explain to their child why it's rude to pull a tajaran's or unathi's tail

Do other species have their own versions of furries, and if so, what would they be called?

you could technically commit suicide by laying still in a pool of dionaea nymphs long enough

In a way, the roboticist is the most terrifying person to follow someplace dark, considering their occupation

Somewhere in human space, there are probably people who browse through archives of the old internet. I wonder what they think of the stupidity that can ensue online

did unathi think of aliens as scale-less people before their first contact with them?

Is there a species of aliens watching the rest, and have not revealed themselves yet? If so, what would they think about the other species if first contact was made by a disgruntled assistant

• 4 weeks later...

What is it that makes SS13 developers so afraid to realistically model the power of a firearm? Is it that players dislike dying within moments, unable to react? Is it that administrators simply would not like to deal with the former? Or is it merely laziness, masqueraded as 'balance'?

• 1 month later...