[IMPORTANT] /!\ Visitor Policy /!\

Visitors to the NSS Exodus are not contracted to work on the Exodus under any circumstance. Even if they work for NanoTrasen. Promotion of visitors to station ranks except in the most dire of circumstances will be regarded as neglect of duty, and/or exceeding official powers. During these circumstances volunteers will not be compensated in any fashion from NanoTrasen. Without exception, visitors are not permitted to be promoted to command ranks, violators can expect their security clearance rescinded.

- Daniel Bay, CCIABS

No. They are visitors, they are not working.

As said they can be promoted "in the most dire of circumstances", aka during code red when a merc team slaughters everyone or a giant cult is mass-sacrificing people.

I used to use visitor as a way of waiting for a slot to free-up, or in the event the department my character usually works in needs the extra help.

If we're going this route, we really should have an 'On-call' rank or something so that they can get assigned into a department if needed.

Then you're at the mercy of virtually everybody, because assistants are the lowest-tier of the actual crew. You could have anybody demand you assist them, and it's perfectly fine because of the fact you answer to everybody.

I'm not sure what event precipitated this change, but it seems overly broad and is inconsistent with "visitors" who are merely off duty regulars of the staff.

I strongly suggest adding an "Off Duty" job slot to accept both off-duty crew and for parking employees suspended as punishment.

I'm not sure what event precipitated this change, but it seems overly broad and is inconsistent with "visitors" who are merely off duty regulars of the staff.

I strongly suggest adding an "Off Duty" job slot to accept both off-duty crew and for parking employees suspended as punishment.

If you are here while you are off duty you are a visitor. Visitor policy applies to you.

If you still want to do stuff or ask for a promotion and whatnot, just join as assistant.

A good deal of people also play as legitimate visitors, with no NT affiliation. I remember one woman hung out in the bar all round because she won some sort of lottery to come aboard the Exodus for a day. She spent the entire round complaining about the bar being closed. Then got run-over by a MULEbot. Then decapitated with an energy sword. Good character, 10/10.

• 1 month later...

Roleplay is also about roles. This helps define what a visitor is. Is restricting officers from entering the armoury could also be seen as a no-fun policy. There are many no-fun systems in the game for the sake of roles, and the fun they generate. This does not harm RP. And expects you to create fun. If we were to accept visitors working on the station. We would have to severely limit what a visitor can be for the sake of it being believable.

A decision was needed. And there was a choice to make, Be whatever you can imagine coming aboard and not be allowed to work. OR be within a set a very set confines and possibly be allowed to work if people have need of you. (aka, an assistant the other title for this role.) I chose to let people explore the world lore has written and open up many possible stories, with the only restrictions on this role being.

Be someone from our universe. Explore it. Invite others into the stories you can imagine. You may be able to work in an emergency. Just not a command role.

That doesn't sound all that un-fun to me. And it sure as shit keeps the door open for RP options. If the bold text above is to limiting for a role. Every other job on the station exceeds this by leaps and bounds. The role was being abused due to it being near limitless in potential. No pay, No active command roles, is not draconian nor a silly limitation to keep things believable. And to quote the other thread...

In regards to some visitors getting promotions to command and other roles. There have been points where they are visiting, and work for other NT stations or vessels.

And treating it like for example they worked at McDonalds and they were picking up a shift at a different store in the chain. While they were travelling or something. While they all work for McDonalds (NT) each store (Station) has its own employees (Crew). And in the event some employees of that store go to their store on their day off to eat. Due to accounting and resources unless they are in an emergency. They will not be wanting to hand you out extra hours off the cuff toss you an extra uniform which they have to recollect and everything else that goes along with it, as they have a store budget, and a maximum number of employee hours used per manager and shift. Along with benefits and other issues to balance.

Disclaimer: I have never worked for McDonalds or any other fast food outlet, I do not know their exact internal workings, nor do I care. These are fundamentals of business using a globally recognized and prolific brand in order to make a point that more people can understand

Visitors should be able to actually act like their backgrounds and history allow them to, I don't see any point to this at all. If people can prove their history or are well known, or it's a brainless job, and there's a need for them on station, then why would a company refuse to let them work? That's just stupid. If NT is allowing them on the station in the first place (why ARE they here? Are people with no NT affiliation just allowed sightseeing on a top secret research station?) then as a major corporation it only makes sense that they would at least temp hire some of them.

• 5 weeks later...

Potential clients visit companies all the time to get shown around before they're expected to sign multi-billion dollar deals. College kids go on trips to visit places and shadow people.

Lots of scenarios can be created within these limitations, scenarios that are way more believable than "lol no im not scheduled today just comin in for fun."

• 8 months later...

It occurs to me that if there is an actual legitimate but non-emergency reason to "promote" an off-duty visitor to their normal rank, there's always the fax machine. I can see this being useful if there is, for example, a shortage of engineers or other mission-critical staff. It would be nice if there was a proper form for it, though.

People asked this the same question and will always be no. I'll quote and post it here for you to read.

No. They are visitors, they are not working.

As said they can be promoted "in the most dire of circumstances", aka during code red when a merc team slaughters everyone or a giant cult is mass-sacrificing people.

If you are here while you are off duty you are a visitor. Visitor policy applies to you.

If you still want to do stuff or ask for a promotion and whatnot, just join as assistant.

If you want to join and assist people, join as assistant. There is no shame in being an assistant to help people or switch department to. If you join as visitor, you're off duty and not expected to work. In other words, they'd rather you to stay out of their way of work. I hope this answers your question. Just simply look at the manifest before you join and look at departments which needs the most assistance.

What about deadhour when nobody onboard besides a visitor is qualified in setting up the engine?

I realize that letting some strange man with a van dyke mustache into the engine room is probably not the best idea if I was an actual employee on an actual space station, but electricity is decently important for round progression.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A good deal of people also play as legitimate visitors, with no NT affiliation. I remember one woman hung out in the bar all round because she won some sort of lottery to come aboard the Exodus for a day. She spent the entire round complaining about the bar being closed. Then got run-over by a MULEbot. Then decapitated with an energy sword. Good character, 10/10.

That's.....awful. XD