Changes to cloning

Shadow

What if we just made it regulation that all people who have been cloned must have a mandatory psychiatric evaluation afterward: we could even work some fun conditions in with flavor text: memory loss, muteness, even hallucinations. There'd be a rare chance of getting them: as rare as genetic damage (which should also still be an option). Doctors should be able to withhold IDs until after the evaluations.

This would mean more RP, AND maybe psychiatrist wouldn't be useless job anymore.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if we just made it regulation that all people who have been cloned must have a mandatory psychiatric evaluation afterward: we could even work some fun conditions in with flavor text: memory loss, muteness, even hallucinations. There'd be a rare chance of getting them: as rare as genetic damage (which should also still be an option). Doctors should be able to withhold IDs until after the evaluations.

This would mean more RP, AND maybe psychiatrist wouldn't be useless job anymore.

Medical is already supposed to do this, but everyone is like "Kool I died, now let me continue shooting the antag."

Medical is already supposed to do this, but everyone is like "Kool I died, now let me continue shooting the antag."

Right, but what if we added real, in game, psychiatric consequences?

There are real ones. It is called roleplay. Just because it is not a mechanic does not make it any less meaningful.

In addition, it is not reasonable (despite how "interesting" it is) for a clone to spontaneously develop delusional schizophrenia after popping out of the vat. That is not how brains work.

There are real ones. It is called roleplay. Just because it is not a mechanic does not make it any less meaningful.

In addition, it is not reasonable (despite how "interesting" it is) for a clone to spontaneously develop delusional schizophrenia after popping out of the vat. That is not how brains work.

I want to defend this, a little bit.

Cloning scans the body in its dead state and reconstructs it, but the most important part is the brain, right? That's why you need a brain for cloning, why people go MIF in game, etc. If a brain suffers from enough oxygen deprivation damage, someone is not clone-able, they're dead forever! That's how things already work. It makes sense, then, that some brains are on the edge of too damaged to clone, and then you really would expect to see psychiatric responses. That IS how brains work.

I'm not saying give someone full blown schizophrenia. That's stupid, and I doubt most players even know what that really IS. I'm saying you could do a few things, maybe randomize them.

1. Anxiety messages appear like when you get fear from an anomoly: You want to run! You want to scream! You need to get away!

2. Blindness.

3. Deafness.

4. Muteness.

5, Memory loss: You cannot the last 1-5-10-20-100 years. Text would come up to establish this.

6. Partial paralysis. A limb doesn't work.

7. Synesthesia. Colors popping up, like with most drugs.

And I understand the "there are real ones, it's called roleplay" thing, but obviously that's not working, else why are we even having this conversation? I thought this thread came about because people DON'T roleplay damage after cloning? This, I think, would push them to a little harder. It means there's a chance they would be severely hindered for the rest of the game in a way that makes sense but still allows for some interesting RP. It means they're getting text or mechanical reminders that they are definitely NOT okay after cloning.

• 2 months later...

So this is just my two cents but...

I don't think you want to make it harder on the doctors themselves, that's just going to put an extra burden on their already heavy shoulders, and in an HRP setting, where cloning tech exists to an extent that its a feature on a ship just like a toilet or holodeck, we need to assume that the doctors are proficient with cloning period, and can do it efficiently. That's just the reality of having it as an available technology. Some ideas would be:

move the cloning to science, which actually makes much more sense to begin with. When I think of cloning, I don't think of doctors with masks, i think of scientists with lab coats pouring over DNA scans etc.

again, we just have to assume that the cloning process is efficient for the cloners, therefore the cloning process needs to be hindering to the player. after all, they are the ones that went off and fell down a mining hole, or let an antag murderbone them, not the doc. RNG for random genetic drift seems like the most ideal solution. Maybe they develop a shake or twitch that causes them to drop something, or like what was mentioned above, have a neurological disorder that requires a cane? A disorder that impairs vision, or even a random RPable psychosis. Putting it off on the cloner seems like the wrong player is getting the business.

Extend the time it takes to clone

If cloning tech is available, and we have to assume the Aurora is not the only ship equipped with it, then we have to assume that it's also been equipped on the cheap. There are science devices that require upgrade, the cloner probably should too if it already isn't. The more upgrades you get, the better the odds of a defect free cloning. This could also give antags a nice way to combat the clone army, by sabotaging the cloning machine, and possibly greatly increasing the chances of a defect, possibly with an emag. maybe doing so would allow an antag to choose the defect, like screwing with someone's nervous system and affecting their aim? Decreasing their strength, or making it so they can't run as fast/as long?

Genetic Drift/Antag sabotage is also a great way to get a clone that can't do his job anymore, without making it a direct consequence, or fully disqualifying the player from the job but still making it very difficult. A sec officer that can't run very long, aim his gun well because of shakes, or drops his gun randomly isn't going to be a very good sec officer, and may be discharged. A miner with a severe vision issue or requires a cane isn't going to be mining much longer, or maybe he will and the player is challenged/punished for dying. This could also give depts that don't actually have as much to do all the time a chance to do something in developing cures, drugs or temp fixes for these problems. maybe robotics can be tasked to build a sort of exoskeleton for the sec officer that finds he cant run as long as he used to.

Require that the cloner be supplied with minerals, that would also give the miners more to do. One of the things that really bums me out as a miner is that you reach mining end game really fast. There comes a point where no one else needs your minerals, and you are fully decked out and have nothing to really do. Have the cloner be powered by Phoron exclusively.

Require objects from other depts. Maybe after the cloning process, the clone requires an injection from the lazerus injector. again, another way to get other job sets involved.