Skull132

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No illegal guns. Just sayin'.

Whatever happened to the good old days when you could multitool the board to unlock goodies?

(Space bike crate is there though).

Also, not sure there is a cat crate. It wasn't there in old cargo either, which was odd considering that cat crates would appear in the warehouse every now and again.

There is now no paper documentation for cargo orders. Those stamps are now useless, or at least, only useful for manifests (if there even are any, I haven't seen any shipments delivered). Is there any chance we could get requisitions to print again upon submitting an order?

Also, why don't the consoles handle the transaction charge coming out of the requestor's account upon cargo approving the order? Shouldn't we be able to not need the EFTPOS?

I agree with alex except for paper part. Instead maybe have console make a noise or say that a order is submitted so we know when to look for it. This system also raises the question if NT gives back money for crates and phoron/platinum, like do we get cash to return crates and things? If not platinum is useless.

Cargo does get cash4phoron.com. Haven't tried platinum but I expect that would work the same. Without checking the code and having done one (full) round as QM under the new system, I would place the reimbursement around 50 credits per crystal of phoron.

I know this system has its detractors.

Let me be clear: to me, this new cargo system is a major step forward. We are doing what other servers have only dreamt of: having an economy. It will need a lot of attention to get right, though. So I am going to toss out some ideas, in no particular order.

• Shuttle time needs to be lowered. Why 4 minutes now (looks like it might be variable)? With the extra time and difficulty to make an order, waiting on a second/third order, plus obtaining payment manually, it can easily be 20 minutes from beginning of browsing for an order to receipt. And that's if everything goes right. With the learning curve on both sides it ended up being 30+ minutes. That learning curve will go down, but some people will stay away, and there will be plenty of new people who will have to learn. So...
  • We need to make this system more accessible. Items need to be cheaper. A paper record should be printed. Shuttle time needs to be lower. New stuff should be added that wasn't in the old cargo system. Something like a "grab bag" crate that would be similar to a roundstart crate in the warehouse. (It would need to cost a shitton)
  • There needs to be a way for people to make their crate deposit back, or earn crate deposits by dragging in crates from around the station. With roundstart money right now being up to RNGesus, people who rely on cargo (namely: chef/roboticist) need a way to make $$.
  • It was mentioned early on in the suggestion that spawned cargo 2.0, but the anti-tamper wrapping and security features should be added/allowed for all orders. If the chef wants to pay double for a crate of kitchen supplies that unlocks only for him, who am I to prevent them from doing that? There should also be an option to pay triple the price or something ridiculous and cargo would not be even able to see what you ordered.
  • Chef should get some sort of account to draw on for food. The HoP (or any department head, for that matter) is not guaranteed for any round. Department funds can't always be used to buy things, and won't in the absence of that head.
  • 3000 credits for a cow is ridiculous. It should be more like 600, and that is pushing it.
  • For that matter, all the prices need to be evaluated and commented upon. Game economies are delicate and will only work if finely tuned. Bonus points if prices fluctuate between rounds or inside of a round.
  • Add collectible hat crate. Add women's dress crate.

Add men's formalwear crate.
  • Payment needs to be handled by the console. If a vending machine can do it, the console should be able to do it.
  • The console should be able to be hacked. Contraband crates and illegal guns crates.
  • Other ways for cargo/crew to make money. On Paradise, you could ship seeds and research back for points.
  • If we are going to have the chef paying out of pocket for feeding the station, he needs to have the ability to make $$ too. Like custom vending machines that have preprogrammed prices for everything in the code menu-wise,

But can be adjusted by the chef. It simply won't work to have him with an EFTPOS charging per taco.

The underlying theme of my comments is this: if we're going to do an economy, it needs to be carefully managed, cultivated and, yes, tinkered with. Prices need to be adjusted outside of devmerges and we need to figure out what works. It's not going to be ridiculously balance breaking if we decide that cows should be 150 credits one shift instead of 3000. It's cows which are useless to everyone save the chef, and it's credits, which were useless prior to Cargo 2.0. We need to take the gloves off and aggressively test prices on a day-by-day basis to figure out what works.

[*]Chef should get some sort of account to draw on for food. The HoP (or any department head, for that matter) is not guaranteed for any round. Department funds can't always be used to buy things, and won't in the absence of that head.

I am almost certain that we have a civilian account for the service department.

[*]Chef should get some sort of account to draw on for food. The HoP (or any department head, for that matter) is not guaranteed for any round. Department funds can't always be used to buy things, and won't in the absence of that head.

That counts as department funds under the Head of Personnel, the suggestion is to eliminate the need.

That counts as department funds under the Head of Personnel, the suggestion is to eliminate the need.

I mean, we could be talking something as simple as tossing a 1K credit chip in the chef locker, though I would prefer it be some sort of separate account that the chef can access. Or... perhaps it starts at zero and all vending revenues go to it during the round.

Staff cannot be trusted with access to department budgets, that is why only Heads have access to them. There is almost ALWAYS a Head of Staff on, and any head of staff can, if asked and have the time, get you an account number to charge an account.

I seriously doubt you will run out of supplies this quickly. If you are, then - charge with an EFTPOS to your personal account, keep track of how much you've made via it, and then use that to buy cargo supplies.

Phoron is worth 100 credits per crystal sheet.

As QM, my personal policy right now is to give the chef a 50% discount on any work-related purchases.

Of course, if they end up with a company card, that discount will magically disappear, haha.

Their orders are usually like 3k so if anything I will let them pass on my cargo handling fee as QM (100 credits)