Remove FT; Give the access to Detective; Add a new Private Investigator role.

BurgerBB

What the title says. I feel Aurorastation really needs to cut down on some of the roles that could be filled by other roles. FT is rarely played and rarely used, and I think that all of it's work and whatnot should be given to the detective instead. An FT literally has the same amount of training as the detective, except for the 4 week sec cadetship requirement.

To compensate for the removal of another head to solve in a major case, I suggest adding a Private Investigator role. They're licensed practitioners with the same qualifications as detective, except they don't work for internal security, work independently of NanoTrasen, don't have access to weapons, and don't have access to security records. They don't even have access to security comms. Private investigators will have their own fibre kits, fingerprint scanners, and everything else, but if they want access to security records or a weapon, they'll have to process a request to the Head of Security or the Captain. Private Investigators aren't immune to the law. They're a guest of the station and corporate regulations apply to them. Some can act out of line, but of course, are expected to follow server rules. It wouldn't be unrealistic of a private investigator to obtain security records illegally, however if they get caught, they can easily lose their licence to work on the station.

Wikipedia article on private investigators and their role: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_investigator

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I've see a lot of FT's; there's one every other round.

The Detectives and FT have distinctly different playstyles. While I'd be happy to see a private investigator alt-title for flavor, removing the FT or merging it with FT would be a big loss. I've played a lot of both roles and find detective's playstyle to be more enjoyable than forensic technician.

What is the difference between a PI and a Detective? They sound literally the same, except PIs are civilians instead of security.

PIs are detectives except they don't work for the local security department. They're usually hired by corporations or people to investigate. That's how it works in real life, and that's how it's going to work.

OOCly It's a role for people who aren't obligated to have any responsibilities as a member of security but still want to investigate. It's practically a FT except they have some authority to investigate.

Edit:

I mean you can totally play FT as a Private Investigator. There are private investigators who don't actually do any stereotypical detective investigation but can do a whole bunch of other specialized work, including exclusively evidence analysis, digitally and physically.

I would like FT to remain separate from detective, because FT's are less common, and I hate them snooping my crimes. Detectives just sort of exist as a useless appendage of security, which I'm fine with, while FT's are actually a threat and I hate them as antags.

But that's just my selfish antag desires :V

I think the fact of the matter is that the FT and Detective can both do each other's jobs, and often times are forced to when the other isn't around. That is an issue, and kinda highlights the fact that one or the other is redundant.

As someone who hates playing Detective and loves FT

literally only because I always see Detectives as rambos, and FTs as the real sophisticated heroes who solve the case

, I honestly do believe that FT should go and just merge Detective with the FT. Them being too reliant on one another can slow down a case when one isn't on board (although, they both can solve a case without the presence of the other but it's simply easier with both), and by giving one role more access means that this issue isn't a factor.

As well, while the whole investigative work could be time consuming at times when the two roles are merged, at the same time it means that one player has this information a lot sooner, and doesn't have to wait for Joey Barsitter to come back to their office and hand over a folder.

I genuinely can't see any real drawbacks to merging the two, besides maybe making the Detective players be a little less lonely upstairs.

Here are my two cents:

If there will ever be a merge, the detective will be assimilated into FT duties, the FT makes more sense on the station and is way more useful.

Private Investigations sound like a waste of a slot and a chain on the security investigative duties requiring numerous paperwork information requests (which we all know they are unlikely to do considering current server attitude towards paperwork).

Why would NanoTrasen hire a private investigator in the first place when they have a fully functioning investigative laboratory and have the employees for both jobs?

Overall, +1 of the idea on merging on the basis that the FT/CSI title stays and detective is removed. -1 to the idea of private investigator.

Edited by Guest

I would like to merge the roles just to lower the number of possible slots in security. I would rather remove detective and give the access to the FT, though.

If "private investigator" is going to be any kind of role, make it an alt-title for the reporter, and don't give them any special gear or responsibility (as in, no leeway for trying to fight antags). They'd exist just to track and report.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I enjoy playing detective to question suspects, bring people in for questioning, and otherwise prowling around to sleuth. I do not enjoy the grinding playstyle of FT, though I acknowledge its value and fun for others. Both jobs provide different methods of approaching an investigations role. You also require a science degree to be a FT, whereas you do not need one to be a detective. The jobs are distinct and it would be a loss to merge them back together.

We had an FT and a detective before the bay merge, we had two detectives with FT gear after bay merge, we went back to separate titles for a reason.

The FT is only similar to detectives because forensic departments have their own detectives, you'll rarely if ever see the same person looking into a microscope also interrogating a serial killer, while they sometimes cover for each other, people pick detective and FT for very, VERY distinct play.

If I'm a detective I expect to be investigating in the field, looking for witnesses, interrogating suspects, accompanying the FT as look out etc, maybe even a violent confrontation, active and social.

As the FT I expect to be investigating the scene, processing the evidence and coming up with theories, this is pretty stationary and I don't expect to meet any combat unless I'm on the scene.

If you leave investigating to just one person it'll become physically impossible to process all the paperwork in a timely and orderly manner(not throwing everything on the floor) and interrogate suspects and witnesses before the crime is already solved because the criminal was caught breaking into the bar backroom again, I often find myself flooded with evidence and paperwork as FT when there's more than one open case, I do not want to also take the responsibilities of the detective.

• Gem locked this topic