Paperwork system expansion

Hello all.

Searching the forums I found no thread about improving the paperwork system. I find that with the introduction of baycode consoles, and more specifically the printer, the current system is due for upgrading. The changes proposed aim to make life easier for paperwork-heavy jobs such as Internal Affairs and the Head of Personnel among others whilst also providing avenues for beautification of station paperwork.

I have decided that instead of making a great amount of different threads for relatively tiny changes, I would make a bigger thread relating to a single subject. While it goes against what the reminder on top the page is telling me, adhering to one-thread-per-suggestion would result in the whole first page filled with paperwork suggestions. I understand that the latter would be more unwelcome.

Disclaimer: my current understanding of the underlying paperwork code is based off of these .dm files. The Aurora codebase does not appear to be different in any way.

1. Colors

Black text on white paper is the paperwork staple. This is all well until you need to add large tables, make highlights in the text, or ensure that the front page of your 40-page fax to Central Command looks just right. Consider the following example:

BvQ33dQ.png

The above is a side by side comparison of a plain black on white table and the same table with the proposed [trow=fcfcfc] tag applied to rows 2 and 4. It offers a clear improvement in aesthetics.

Other than tables, non-standard text colors would provide an unique aspect to every document. Firing someone? Why not use bold red letters to drive the point home? The possibilities are endless.

How this would be achieved:

For fonts:

t = replacetext(t, "\[fcolor=$foo\]", "<font color=\"$f00\">")

For tables:

In paper.dm inside /proc/pencode2html(t);
t = replacetext(t, "\[tcolor=$foo\]", "<table bgcolor=$foo border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=3 style='border: 1px solid black;'>") 
t = replacetext(t, "\[trow=$foo\]", "<tr bgcolor=$foo>") 
t = replacetext(t, "\[tcell=$foo\]", "<tc bgcolor=$foo>") 
where $foo is a six-digit hex code.

For paper itself:

While colored paper does not appear to have enough RP potential to warrant introduction, the idea remains the same. [bgcolor=$foo] to .

2. Multiple fonts

Currently, our clerks are only able to use Verdana, with Times New Roman being used for signatures. Considering BYOND is played on a Windows environment, it would be safe to add additional options, such as Georgia, Tahoma or Courier.

t = replacetext(t, "\[font=$foo\]", "<font face=\"$f00\">")
where $foo would be one of the font names.

2a. Teletype

A special example of an additional font would be the tag, meaning Lucida Console in monospace. To the best of my knowledge, this is what printouts from the Cargo Bay already use. There is no reason not to extend it to any other printer on the station.

Supported natively by BYOND under the tag. Replace [] to <> in the paper text and you're ready to go.

3. Abbreviations

A long, technical text could be made easier to read by the end user if it could be shortened. This shortening could potentially be afforded by abbreviations - but as the matter stands now, any abbreviation could cause OOC confusion even though the character themselves wouldn't be justified in not understanding it due to supposed IC knowledge. The abbreviation tag would provide clarification and smoothen out roleplay.

Supported natively by BYOND under the tag. Replace [] to <> in the paper text and you're ready to go.

4. Paperwork library

We have a large library for all sorts of books. Why not for paperwork? Even today, most templates of papers are provided by the relevant authorities for you to print out, fill out and deliver for their consideration. With this feature, HTML experts could put a wealth of templates in the pre-existent library database for all sorts of characters to use, no knowledge of the code required.

Allow access to library database (functionality as per library computer, minus printing books - single pages only) to station consoles. Introduce "paperwork" category for potential uploads.

4a. Digital checkout

Instead of paperwork being presented in the current form of checking out a book and having it printed for you, the file containing the code could be downloaded to your console's hard drive for potential editing before printing (or easier volume printing). This would make editing of existing templates to suit current needs easier - why reinvent the wheel when you just need to change a few words to turn a material request form into a material delivery manifest?

Whilst I recognize that the current system's limitations are in place for server security - making singularities out of paper was a bad time for all - I understand that the proposed tags would not open any new attack vectors.

I welcome others to add their paperwork improvement suggestions to this thread and thank the developers for their consideration of my suggestions in advance.

Any suggestions given will be added to the OP for clarity.

There's already pre-made paperwork available in the request consoles, although it is not possible for players to add items themselves.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone actually use the table pencode tags, and I don't think it entirely makes sense for you to be able to change the color of paper with a pen (although it would be feasible when printing from a console).

As for text colors, this is already possible with colored pens, although they can be hard to find.

The idea of adding fonts (to consoles) and abbreviations is an interesting one, however.

4a. Digital checkout

Instead of paperwork being presented in the current form of checking out a book and having it printed for you, the file containing the code could be downloaded to your console's hard drive for potential editing before printing (or easier volume printing). This would make editing of existing templates to suit current needs easier - why reinvent the wheel when you just need to change a few words to turn a material request form into a material delivery manifest?

This is going to be arriving in part Soon. Arrow was testing digital warrants last night, which are slated for merging into dev as soon as I shake my headache and can review the code. Arrow is also looking at a much larger expansion of the IT field of the game, which may or may not include digitalized paperwork (technically it'll include almost everything needed to make it work, so even if not in the plan, it'd be easy to shove in).

As for the new BB code. I may grab them over this dev cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the paperwork system in general takes away from the game and I do not enjoy participating in it. I would prefer that everything be moved to the request consoles and/or laptop software. For what it's worth, I oppose all pro-paperwork-with-paper-and-pens rules and lore. There are many other things I'd like to see addressed.

3. Abbreviations

A long, technical text could be made easier to read by the end user if it could be shortened. This shortening could potentially be afforded by abbreviations - but as the matter stands now, any abbreviation could cause OOC confusion even though the character themselves wouldn't be justified in not understanding it due to supposed IC knowledge. The abbreviation tag would provide clarification and smoothen out roleplay.

Does this mean like mouse-over a word and it will tell you a bit more about it? Because if so, 'abbreviation' could be a term in text only - commonly-known lore could be shown without needing to explain it in LOOC, and a whole stream of other useful things.

Like Lohikar said, the colour feature is already added by pens - although I'd kill for more pen-colours. Specifically green for the captain? <3

But everything else looks outstanding. Paperwork can look nice if done correctly, but it can be a pain without the proper tools. Add more [logo] options to boot.

• 2 months later...