Revamp of Grabbing System

Bsmiffy78

I noticed that this idea was already mentioned towards the end of 2016, but seeing as I haven't seen it implemented yet I wanted to see if this idea is still appealing to enough people and maybe improve the grabbing system in general in the process. If this system is currently in the process of being developed, then forget everything you read below and lock this thread. Otherwise:

Something I've noticed for a while is the inability to, upon coming across someone bleeding out on the ground or in the case that you say get sliced in the arm by a changeling and live to tell the tale-- stem the bleeding from a wound. The major problem I see with implementing this the way I'm imagining it is that the entire grabbing mechanic would have to be revamped, but I think it would be realistic to add this mechanic and would definitely add immersion to roles like Security or civilian roles, who are often first-responders to violent incidents and have no medical equipment to stabilize victims. Or, as the idea goes, in the case where you escape from an antag, you should be able to try and apply pressure to a wound as you work your way to medical.

As stated in the thread that was created back in August of '16, the bleeding system would probably have to be revamped in a way that increased or decreased the severity of certain injuries for the purpose of balance. Secondly, applying pressure should definitely not stop bleeding entirely, and instead quell it enough to serve as a temporary measure until advanced care can be provided; this would especially be true if you're applying pressure to one of your own limbs, and the rate at which bleeding would be reduced to would vary significantly depending on which limb you are trying to apply pressure to, and would vary even more if you were moving while doing so. For instance, holding pressure on your leg while limping your way to medical is probably not going to be very effective.

An additional plus from revamping the system the way I'd imagine you would, trying to implement a system such as this, would allow you to grab people by different limbs, and depending on which limb someone is grabbed by would effect their ability to escape from their captor's grip.

In general I'm thinking of something that works like this:

- If player 1 grabs player 2 by x limb, something along the lines of "Player1 grabs Player2 by their x, passively"

- If player 1 reinforces the grab on player 2's x limb while still in grab intent, it states "Player1 reinforces their grip on Player2's x"

- If player 1 reinforces the grab on player 2's x limb and then clicks on player 2 using disarm intent help intent, and x limb is bleeding, "Player1 begins to apply pressure to the wound on Player2's x" -- if there is no wound on the limb, or the target limb is no longer the grabbed limb, print a small message saying, "Player 2's x limb is not bleeding." or something along the lines of "You must target the grabbed limb to apply pressure to the wound", respectively.

some pseudo code

grab(mob player1, mob player2, limb x)
{
player1.setGrab(player2);
player1.setGrabbedLimb(player2.x);
if(player1.input == "REINFORCE_GRAB") { reinforceGrab(player1, player2, x); }
}
reinforceGrab(mob player1, mob player2, limb x)
{
if(player1.intent == "GRAB") 
{ 
	player1.setGrabReinforced(player2, x); 
	if(player1.input == "CLICK_PLAYER2") { slowBleeding(); }
}
else { do nothing }
}
setGrabReinforced(mob player2, limb x)
{
if(x == "left_arm")
{
	player2.resistChance == ???;
}

if(x == "right_leg")
{
	player2.resistChance == ???;
}
}

Edited by Guest

I like the idea, but would suggest the applying pressure action would require using help intent with reinforced grab, as it makes more sense and disarm intent during a reinforced grab is already reserved for pinning.

Good point. Revised OP and pseudo code to show this. At the time I wrote this I had yet to actually do the inspect limb function in game and was under the impression this was used while having a reinforced grab...for some reason.

• Gem locked this topic