Change wizard spellpoint count

kyres1

This is a pretty simple and straightforward suggestion. I don't know how complicated it is to make the wizard spawn with more than one spell book, or give him more spell points in each school, but as it stands here are a few reasons why I think a change is necessary, separated by schools.

Standard - I have never seen this book used nor have I seen it used myself. There is so little in the way of unique spells that it is pointless to pick this. Its only prevailing aspects are its artifacts.

Cleric - 6 spell points. As little as I play cleric, I can say for sure that the utility of it is massively cut short by its spell points. Often clerics are forced to be peacewiz, as despite their ability to mend literally any wound, they can't heal internal bleeding and fractures - the two things that screws over wizards the most. Their most unique abilities are their blinding spell and major heal. For being something based entirely around peace and healing, there is very little holding the cleric up as something you'd pick for a peaceful wizard round. Unlike the other schools it has no room for spell combinations and the heals just make you a glorified walking advanced medical kit. Its artifacts are lackluster, especially with how garbage the staff of focus is. Cleric could obviously do with the addition of spell points, somewhere between an extra two to four.

*Okay, after testing cleric again, apparently it has a bone mending spell.

vH3wxXA.png

This changes quite a bit of my argument for cleric - however, it won't be hard to just disable you since you can't get the mastercraft set with cleric. So... you need to be robust as hell, I guess?

Battlemage - Some absolutely RIDICULOUS spells, with one absolutely massive downside - it's a one trick pony. Either you're just a dude with a sword and shield who has a teleport scroll with 4 uses, or you're a naked hulk who gets shot to death in seconds upon being seen because you physically can't stop screaming, you can't return to your normal color, and you have laser eyes. Battlemage is built to be the most hostile wizard school, yet it is incredibly weak in comparison to the movement oriented spatial manual or "I'm fucking invincible" lich. One could say that the downside of battlemage is purposely designed, but when you're going up against 10 or so security officers and 30 crewmen, things usually end in 30 minutes. Even on dead hour, this spell book doesn't hold up at all. It's way too simple when you're limited to five spell slots.

Spatial - The best spell book. No matter your gimmick, so long as you're robust and a good roleplayer, you can make spatial work. It is in a perfect position right now with ten spell slots - there are endless combinations you can do with it. It does get incredibly annoying when you're chasing a wizard with it for two hours to no avail, but very typically the player screws up in one way or another and kills themselves before that.

Druid - This is like cleric, except it actually has unique and interesting spells to hold up a peaceful wizard round. However, once you pick those spells, you're done. Pick bears, vines, and jaunt - that's all you're getting. You spam bears and get grass everywhere. Woo. Or you get a beast companion - and get grass everywhere. But you can also summon beer into the hands of people around you. This entire spell book is "be peaceful or die" with no incentive whatsoever to generate conflict or antagonize the crew. A few more spell points could change that entirely.

Necromancer - Literally pick lich to become a salt factory. This entire school is dedicated to murderboning and salt. Recent nerfs have made dealing with these annoying things more bearable, but honestly giving them more slots might lead to some creativity beyond "ooga booga me skeleton, me make more skeleton and me invincible". Though, with the sheer amount of drama and awfulness this school makes, it might be best to leave it untouched while the other schools get more attention.

Changing the spell slots in accordance to the school's varying amounts of weakness is preferable. Giving all of them ten spell slots and calling it a day is pretty stupid - especially with how ludicrously broken lich would become.

Lastly, an interesting way to actually randomize wizard rounds a bit more is to give them more than one spellbook at roundstart. This would allow people to mix and match their abilities to whatever extent they want. Of course this means lowering the spell points overall so you don't get 2 spatial manuals and suddenly have 20 spellpoints and become god.

edit: typo. i'm tired.

Edited by Guest
  • Gem locked this topic